NHL'94 Forums

Facebook page?

MaynardGKrebs

Next level tips v1:

Photos can't show a link preview. If you really want to track the links, use bit.ly to create a shortened version BUT DON'T POST IT! Just post the original link. Bit.ly will still track aggregated traffic to that URL.

Also, did you guys ever consider trying to get in-touch with the previous owners of the NHL '94 Facebook page that has nearly 2k fans, and ask if they're no longer interested in running it? And possibly transferring ownership over to you? That page has the best Facebook url, and it's sadly defunct. Just a thought. "Fans" who run pages have a tendency to think the peeps who actually generate game changes or edit ROMs are pretty terrific. There's a chance this person might have just handed over the reigns.

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

Also, did you guys ever consider trying to get in-touch with the previous owners of the NHL '94 Facebook page that has nearly 2k fans, and ask if they're no longer interested in running it? And possibly transferring ownership over to you? That page has the best Facebook url, and it's sadly defunct. Just a thought. "Fans" who run pages have a tendency to think the peeps who actually generate game changes or edit ROMs are pretty terrific. There's a chance this person might have just handed over the reigns.

I took a look on that page but I'm not sure how to find the owner to send him a message (or did you just mean post on the fan page). Also, let's say he did transfer it over....then we'd be running two fan pages??

Suggestion, in one of your upcoming posts (and every once in a while), I would direct-link to a fancy little pre-packged ROM pack (including emulator and instructions) of the NHL '94 2012 total conversation ROM. Them Facebook peeps love to have things spelled out for them, complete with coloring in the lines. And you'd have a heck of a piece of content to post on Facebook if it were a link to a download package here on the forums. Again, I'd take a look at TecmoBowl.org's 2013 ROM thread as an example. Lead them calves to water!

Also, reading up on when / how often is best to update your Facebook page will be important. There's reading about this stuff all over the Internet, accessible from a Google search.

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

now I deal in cartridges, it seems. lying about me may be the surest way to popularity here.

Deals in and deals have different meanings. You bought a cart, posted a picture of it and recommended his service to another member. Not trying to push buttons, but you are certainly a part of the process.

Also, State Of Love And Trust is my favorite Pearl Jam track. :thumbsup:

Deals in and deals have different meanings....
gotcha. it struck me as being more than misleading, but I hereby back off of that stance. I forsee getting another cartridge made for each future end-of-season ROM I produce. great stuff.

I took a look on that page but I'm not sure how to find the owner to send him a message (or did you just mean post on the fan page). Also, let's say he did transfer it over....then we'd be running two fan pages??

Quite frankly if he agreed to transfer it, I'd tank your page.

Otherwise, if it's a person that you either know and/or trust, finding someone that doesn't run the site to run the Facebook arm of your community is the way to go considering that one of them will be neglected. (As you can see, I'm lucky enough to work with such people)

I personally view Facebook as a way to engage the casual fan of your game.

There are tons of people that are interested or nostalgic about Tecmo Super Bowl but would never have any intention of visiting a site about it but do visit Facebook.

They might however be people that are friends with others who might be interested and simply don't know about the existence of the site.

This and dee-nee.com have always been a community I've kept an eye on. I still can't figure out why there isn't a NBA Jam or NBA Live 9x sort of site out there.

Knobbe

Great job guys!

And welcome to the forum MaynardGKrebs

I think this is something 94 land really needs

did you want to look after it bud?

Facebook advice: do a Google search for best times when to post on Facebook. If I'm not mistaken, you can even line up posts in a queue to be released later (I may be wrong at that). At any rate, posting three fan page stories in the span of 30-minutes is not going to help as much as you might think. You gotta spread out the love. Find the times that are best, in terms of Facebook traffic for viewership. And encourage your 119 fans to share the page. If someone is handling the Facebook now, and acting as NHL94.com representative, encourage them to Like other retro game pages / NHL game pages and spread the word.

:)

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

re: fan page timeline photo. I would stick a 'classic' gameplay image in there that shows off the game's graphics. When people visit the page, it'll help job their memory / nostalgia interest to see something they can identity right in the header and get excited about.