NHL'94 Forums

great players in real life that should have been better in the game.

NHL604

I've been hitting up NHL 94. I seem to get the craving every 8 or so months and just need to play it(impossible to shake). After playing 10 or so games yesterday and today, it got me to thinking. What are some players or more importantly if you had to choose one player that EA NHL94 disappointed or most messed up on, which would it be? I hope this thread hasn't been created before I searched a bit, but didn't find anything.

Back in the day I might have said Mark Messier, but after all this time i've come to realize while he could have been a bit better it's not enough of a substantial difference.

My pick (right now) would go to Pierre Turgeon. Every once in a while I fool myself into believing he's better then I thought he was and I get the real life Pierre Turgeon that had 132 points (58 Goals - 74 Assist) in 83 games mixed up with NHL94 version. I usually spend 3-4 games trying to figure him out to no avail. Hogue is simply the better player on the line IMO. Oh Well whats yours?

Sorry just realized I put it into the wrong section.

Edited by NHL604

at first i was all "watchu talkin' 'bout Sixoh?" then I realized you play the Genesis, so I'll go with "everybody heavier than average" as my answer. WEIGHT FAIL!

Dale hawerchuck is my underrated guy. His 2 shot is just pathetic.

In the 1992-93 season, he had 16G and 80A in 81 GP. 6.2% shooting percentage, lowest among any F with 50+ points. I guess 3/1 shot makes sense, lol.

Great question. Weight bug aside (meaning I'm assuming a fixed version like Blitz), skills that matter in a video game are different than in real hockey. Weight is super-important, so someone like Pat LaFontaine, who finished 2nd in the league in scoring (148 points), isn't that great in the game due to his 182lbs. Great awareness and passing, but that doesn't translate to much in the video game.

Speed is important in the game as well, so someone like Rich Tocchet, who finished with 109 points and has a great 4/5 shot, is PAINFULLY slow with 2/2 speed/agility.

The only one that really bugs me is Martin Broduer. He's so underrated he's not even in the game!

Even though he wasn't actually part of the Devil's line up when the game was released I always associate him with that era, especially since that's the season he broke into the NHL.

For SNES, I think the ratings are actually quite good. A lot better than the bloated ratings found in recent editions of the NHL games. But there are a few guys who I think deserved better treatment :

Wayne Gretzky - He has the most goals of all time!! He should have at least a 65 for both shot power and accuracy. This is the biggest underrating for me. I would have loved to see a better version of the Great One in this game.

Dale Hawerchuk - Come on, he's Dale Hawerchuk. He should have a decent shot or something.

Nick Lidstrom - had 60 points as a rookie defenseman, followed by a 41 point season in 92/93. It would be nice if he was a bit better in the offensive ratings (ie. skating/passing/shooting) to make up for his slight stature. But unfortunately he is not quite good enough to be used over the heavier, moderately skilled Steve Chiasson.

Rick Tocchet - He should have a bit better agility and/or speed, maybe a better shot, enough to make him useful.

Brendan Shanahan - Scored 51 goals in 92/93. Could have had better skating and even checking ratings to make him more useful of a player.

I'm sure there are a few more, but overall I think the NHL 94 team did a great job of accurately representing the real players.

• 2 weeks later...

For SNES, I think the ratings are actually quite good. A lot better than the bloated ratings found in recent editions of the NHL games. But there are a few guys who I think deserved better treatment :

Wayne Gretzky - He has the most goals of all time!! He should have at least a 65 for both shot power and accuracy. This is the biggest underrating for me. I would have loved to see a better version of the Great One in this game.

Dale Hawerchuk - Come on, he's Dale Hawerchuk. He should have a decent shot or something.

Nick Lidstrom - had 60 points as a rookie defenseman, followed by a 41 point season in 92/93. It would be nice if he was a bit better in the offensive ratings (ie. skating/passing/shooting) to make up for his slight stature. But unfortunately he is not quite good enough to be used over the heavier, moderately skilled Steve Chiasson.

Rick Tocchet - He should have a bit better agility and/or speed, maybe a better shot, enough to make him useful.

Brendan Shanahan - Scored 51 goals in 92/93. Could have had better skating and even checking ratings to make him more useful of a player.

I'm sure there are a few more, but overall I think the NHL 94 team did a great job of accurately representing the real players.

Yeah and Gretzky was a monster in the 92/93 playoffs. I single handedly took Kings to the finals with 40 points! Also he actually won the art ross in 1994. So yeah they should have made him better in the game.