NHL'94 Forums

GDL 93 Season 2

CoachMac

I am close to closing out my first season in a league with just 4 games left in my GDL 93 Season 1.

My playoff hopes are dim.

93 has always been my favorite game, but now that I am in the WBF Classic 94 League I see where I was wrong, 94 is a far superior game for Head to Head play. I am actually doing pretty well in the 94 league and love it.

With that being said I do not want GDL 93 to fold after one season and have been kicking around ideas to make 93 more entertaining.

Outlawing the deke is unmanageable as Raph and TK pointed out, BUT

Why do we like 93? What is the only thing missing from 94? What could make this league fun and unusual not just an end to end deke fest?

I propose for GDL 93 Season 2 the following changes:

#1 Use the Wt Bug Fix

#2 Limit the League to 10 Teams. (Current League members get in first based on participation this season....that should assure me a spot)

#3 and this is the one that will make it great and why we must limit to 10 teams:

#3 There are 82 (50 forwards and 32 d-men) players rated 71 or higher in fighting.

The first 8 rounds of the draft you must pick players from this pool. That will put 8 out of 10 skaters on each roster as bruisers.

Then in rounds 9-12 you can pick your stars and goalies.

The lack of speed and skill will make the deke much tougher. You will only have a couple of skilled players and if you have ever played 77's rom their will be tons of fights.

I guarantee scores would come down, offensive creativity would go up, and it would be ALMOST as fun as 94.

DaDonch had talked about a mandatory fighter rule before we had this league. I say take it to the extreme. If we leave it as it is 93 will probably die as even I am more interested in 94 leagues than another season of the end to end deke fest.

Let me know your thoughts and I would love to test some games using these rules.

Can you imagine....

The first pick of the GDL 93 Season 2

#1 Cam Neely

#2 Bob Probert

#3 Gary Roberts

etc....

in the 8th round

Dave Brown

Ken Baumgartner

Tont Twist

etc...

Can you imagine.... This being s**t?

Just joking lol but I do see a couple of problems.

First off, people are going to want to draft 5 players they want for a starting lineup before they draft a goalie. With 9-12 having at least 1 mandatory goalie pick people are only going to get 3 players they really want to play. For someone like me or TK with the 3 picks we'll be taking 3 forwards so that is leaving 6/8 we drafted in the first 8 rounds on the bench, with smart drafting you will use your first 2 picks on defensemen.

Second, That messes up the 6F 4D 2G

Third, I don't think the offensive creativity will go up, my playstyle will stay the exact same and I wouldn't be expecting anything different.

These are just my thoughts maybe others will agree with you.

Main problem here is no "A" or "B" league and there's a large gap on skill level.

Weight bug fix has to happen, otherwise nothing but low weight and speed really matters.

Otherwise I think the league is a success. For next season, if there aren't enough players for an "A" and "B" league, I'd handicap the picks based on relative skill level. So higher skilled coaches have to draft lesser players or non-snaking draft, or something.

Maybe the drafting needs some tweaking but the bottom line is.

We want to Fight!

And we want to make it more difficult to score.

Hacking in manual goalie, one timers or fighting in 94 is way beyond my understanding, but I have to believe it would have been done if it could.

Check all the threads about it.

If we get the Fighters on the ice and the skilled players down the deke will not be unstoppable.

How about this.

8 teams and all your players have to be rated 71 or higher in fighting.

82 Fighters in the game.

32 d-men/8=4 per team and 50 forwards/8=6 per team. It will not screw up 6-4-2. See EASN knew this day was coming.

Llimit the league to those 82 guys

This will create a whole new world of getting to know the bottom dwellers.

I personally dont care about the fighting, I dont find it fun and having a rom with fighters only wouldnt interest me or someone like TK. Even with the weight fix we prefer playing with light and fast players.

Knowing how easy it is to score, all you need is someone heavy who can penetrate through the defense, if every player in the game is a bruiser then it's not going to be difficult to run up the score, because offensive skills mean much much more than defensive skills in 93 and its always going to come down to skill this way. I think you must handicap the teams based on skill and let the light players be eligible.

Yeah count me out for season 2. No matter what kinds of changes you make I'm still going to play every game the exact same way. The same cheese deke over and over again lol no matter if it's ciccarelli probert or tony twist. That's what sucks the fun out of 93 for me. Even though the goalies let in some wack goals that can be funny, it's much more consistent to just go for the same guaranteed move. Also drafting is not so fun as the only thing I care about is forwards, even if it's only fighters im just gonna try to get the fastest fighter with the best shot. Idk i'd just rather play 94 much more balanced

Edited by TomKabs93

As the new coach of Minnesota, I've only played 4 games but am enjoying it and would play a second season whatever the format. The fighting is not important to me, but it's fun when it comes up.

Hit me up on aim(jackandjose) to play so I can get caught up.