NHL'94 Forums

What a sad day when NHL95 came out.

JeffBC

Hey Case,

It's no secret, Marc Lesser signed up here a while ago but I don't think he wants to be contacted. He enjoyed viewing this website and emailed a couple of us to thank him for the great memories. I've mailed him with a few general questions with no reply, so I think he'd like to stay anonymous.

That's it!

-Evan

Anyone remember the Sports Illustrated cover saying why the NHL's hot and the NBA's not? Those were the good old times, right? And NHL 94 ruled, right?

Not only do I remember that, I remember that the article specifically listed one of the reasons being how awesome NHL '94 was compared to the crappy basketball games on the market. I kid you not, NHL '94 was a part of the evidence for that cover story.

Not only do I remember that, I remember that the article specifically listed one of the reasons being how awesome NHL '94 was compared to the crappy basketball games on the market. I kid you not, NHL '94 was a part of the evidence for that cover story.

I remember that article, they also had one in my local paper about that and cited that our MN Gopher Basketball team played NHL on the genesis on road trips rather than NBA version.

And I know this is a 94 board, but you guys are hate mongers on 95. 95's a great game. If you are gonna rip on 16 bit hockey games, rip on Brett Hull Hockey or that Horrible Rollerblade game they released back in the day.

And I know this is a 94 board, but you guys are hate mongers on 95. 95's a great game. If you are gonna rip on 16 bit hockey games, rip on Brett Hull Hockey or that Horrible Rollerblade game they released back in the day.

I hope I didn't sound like I was insulting NHL 95 and basicly saying I hate it. I know NHL 95 is a great game, and I do have fun playing it, it's just I don't like it as much as the ones that came before it.

Maybe I exaggerated about how much I like the other ones more in my first post, which may have made it sound like I don't like 95...

Of course, if you weren't including me with that statement... Well, then this post wasn't exactly necessary.

I liked NHL (well Elitserien actually) 95.. Maybe because it was the only hockey game I had, aside from EA Hockey which really can't be compared.. But I sure loved the season mode 95, it was awesome to be able to play all games during the season. I later got NHL 96 and liked that one even better.

When I played 95 last year or something, it was just way to easy, that was probably the biggest flaw imo... And the insanely poor shot accuracy (half of the shots fired end up in the crowd) is just really sad, that completely ruins game play.

System for above games: Mega Drive

* = Exception.

I don't mind '95. I prefer '94, but '95 was my first online playing experience (back in '95/'96, on the XBand), so it will always have a special place in my heart. '95 is like the my slightly less successful son. Sure, '94 got straight A's, went to Harvard Medical School, discovered the cure for cancer and donated the proceeds to a foundation to end World Hunger. I still love that rascally, imperfect '95.

I refuse to acknowledge '96 however. I threw that red-headed bastard out of my house years ago. He's dead to me.

• 1 month later...

To EA Customer support

Hi Jeff here from BC Canada

I always thought the EA NHL'94 hockey video game series was great until EA sports butchered NHL'95.

The players for NHL'95 and even the fans in the seats around the rink were worse.

The gameplay was too fast.

Their legs were too long.

The instant replay was way too fast.

The Madden series got better the NHL hockey series got worse.

Please bring back classic NHL'94 gameplay!!

Discussion Thread

Response

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the prompt response! I am truly sorry for your situation, and the inconvenience that this caused you. I would really love to help you, but in all honesty, this information is not available to us as you have reached technical support. I really would not have any means of even redirecting your question to the development team. It's their decision and we do not have any control of it.

The best thing I could offer is for you to please post on the appropriate game forum. These forums are maintained and monitored by the community leaders and production team. By posting on these forums you will be able to submit direct feedback to the appropriate person. Please make sure that you follow the EA terms of service when posting.

We have thousands of employees world-wide who are constantly generating and developing game ideas, games and new game features some of which we build, but many we do not. Because of our creative scope, we do not look at unsolicited product ideas or game concepts from people outside of Electronic Arts.

We may review third-party products, but only after they have been built to a fully playable prototype (a working game). If you have such a prototype or if you have further questions, please contact productsubmissions@ea.com for more information about our submission process.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com).

Thanks!

EA Technical Support

Jeff add on comment:

Prototype

More like who has the old SNES NHL'94 software?

They can add a few things like roster updates and drop pass and such and stick it on a playstation3 and PSP.

headerlogobn5.gif

I also sent the note to EA Product Submissions:

Thank you for your interest in Electronic Arts. The kind and gentle lawyers at EA LAW have strict policies on product submissions and game ideas. Please read their policies below, and be aware that we do not review or keep email messages sent to this address (and we don't mess with our legal department either!).

1. Product Submissions. Electronic Arts does not accept any product submission for consideration without a signed Product Submission Agreement <see attached>. If you have a playable demo of your product, and are interested in submitting your demo for consideration, then please complete and sign the attached Product Submission Agreement and return it and your game demo to our address below. Please note that we are only interested in playable demos of your product. We do not review design documents.

2. Game Ideas. EA has thousands of game developers all over the world who keep thinking up new games and new game features. Sometimes we implement these ideas right away; sometimes we save them for later; and sometimes we decide not to use them at all. We don't consider other ideas because we don't want there to be any misunderstanding in the future about where the ideas came from. Because people who love to play games often come up with the very same ideas, we won’t be able to treat your idea as confidential or proprietary. And, because we only keep ideas that were thought up by EA employees, we can’t keep your idea on file. We recognize and very much appreciate the effort that went into your submission. Keep on playing games! And, keep on thinking! Maybe someday you’ll be the next great game developer!

If you are interested in joining the EA team and you are over the age of thirteen, go to www.jobs.ea.com and create a profile. If you are thinking about pursuing education in interactive entertainment, check out the EA Academy at jobs.ea.com/eaacademy/index.html.

Good luck!

Electronic Arts

Product Submissions (EA Partners)

209 Redwood Shores Parkway

Redwood City, CA 94065

USA

EA NHL 08

Recent news

http://www.easports.com/nhl08/news.jsp?id=mediaquotes

NHL 08 game features

http://www.easports.com/nhl08/features.jsp

EA NHL 08 Reviews:

Sportsgamer Blown Away! on NHL 2008. Aug. 15, 2007

"I'll put this as blunt as possible; NHL 08 is a brand new game and EA SPORTS has outdone themselves again. I have never seen a team pay this much attention to detail on every aspect of hockey."

What Team XBOX has to say about NHL 08 Jul. 30, 2007

"...EA's NHL 08 showed us that the Canadian wing of gaming's juggernaut has no intentions of resting on its maple leaves."

"This new level of control in NHL 08 makes a night-and-day difference in terms of the offense nature of the franchise; similar in scope to the NHL's rule changes that opened up the scoring the last two seasons."

Game Informer Online Comments on NHL 08 "Goalie Mode" Jul. 30, 2007

"With new goalie control, a fully featured create-a-play system, a new team practice mode, super fluid skating and the ability to finally be able to take control of the goalie, we're looking forward to summer ending and getting our boys back out on the ice."

Jeff add on:

Yeah I've heard that every year but it's the same bad gameplay, bad goalie control and the hitting sucks!!

It's like take a look at NHL Hitz Pro for PS2.Great gameplay, great graphics and great close in face-off feature.

Just the manual goalie sucked and more deke goals should go in.

With the new better goalie control feature in NHL 08

maybe now finally again there will be a hockey video game from EA worth playing!!

The gameplay should be like '94!!

Linden!!

nhl08lindenoe7fk0.jpgluongonhl08tp0.jpg

i still have NHL95 (megadrive), and when i got it i was dissapointed that the game engine was changed, but i played it anyway ..... and thoroughly enjoyed it!

but playing it again now, it just simply dosn't compare to EA HOCKEY / NHL93 .....

and when it went 3d, i almost vomited in disgust :)

ice hockey is the fastest team sport in the world, and simply dosn't work in 3d ..... but there is a GLARING ommission in the games after 94 (and in virtually every other sports games) .....

MOMENTUM!!!

you don't stop and turn nineties degrees in ice hockey, so why have it in a supposed simulation of the sport ..... and quite frankly, it RUINED the gameplay for me!

i've never bought or rented a EA 3d ice hockey game, and never will .....

they should have stuck with what worked (the nhl93 engine ..... 94 is slightly worse imo) and added MORE TEAMS .....

what did you like better about '93? is it the semi circle skating? it makes every player seem like an amateur who can't skate with any level of strength or skill. '94 is CLEARLY better. have you played the SNES '94? talk about play control! it still amazes me to this day. like once per month I will pull off a move and declare "that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do! how often do you get the feeling of PERFECTION in the movement of an athlete in video games? new madden games come close, but this game is TRULY AMAZING. again, what do you like better about '93?

what did you like better about '93? is it the semi circle skating? it makes every player seem like an amateur who can't skate with any level of strength or skill. '94 is CLEARLY better. have you played the SNES '94? talk about play control! it still amazes me to this day. like once per month I will pull off a move and declare "that is EXACTLY what I was trying to do! how often do you get the feeling of PERFECTION in the movement of an athlete in video games? new madden games come close, but this game is TRULY AMAZING. again, what do you like better about '93?

i guess the 93 engine is slightly (ever-so-slightly) faster, and lighter in content (probably why it's a bit faster .....

there's no difference i can see in how the players skate, so it's not that .....

it maybe because MACK said there was a 30-team hack for nhl93 soming soon, and the blinkers came on :D but 94 will be adaquate ..... FOR NOW!

MORE TEAMS

MORE TEAMS

MORE TEAMS

Xstioph says Wow.. Those are some ugly ass box covers for '08. I have nothing against Vancouver, well maybe those Hartfordish dresses.

Xstioph why are you comparing the Vancouver Canuck jersey colors with the Hartford Whalers jersey colors

when the Vancouver Canucks had their blue and green colors first!!

I guess you could call them the Whalers because of the stupid Whale!!

I hate the Canucks constipated Whale!!

I think the blue and green colors look great!!

I'd like to see them try the classic blue and green colors with the V jersey!!

I like your YouTube video Xstioph but I see with you using Adobe Premiere to record the plays the sides of your video are cut off.

I played '94 with Adobe premiere but I didn't like playing it with the sides cut off, missing gameplay.

Xstioph's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ruSsG3Y7I

I hear Markus Naslund is trying to get Peter Forsberg to play for the Canucks.

Like the Canucks don't have enough Sweden players already.But we'll take him.

You should have something against Vancouver and the NHL for taking your best Sweden players

and you just get the MODO background team.Do you go to many MODO games?

Is that the team you cheer for? Who is your favorite NHL team?

I hear the Canucks are not getting rid of the Whale logo but they are going to the old classic blue and green colors.

I hate the Whale!!

dead20puckyhr1.jpgcanucks1sy7.gifwhalers3bt6.gifwhalersue0.gifgopherlookyi8.gif

Geez.. Don't take it personal, or did you do those box covers? In that case I apologize. I've used Premiere for like what, 3-4 hours and pretty much just put some clips together that I had been saving for awhile, added some music and transitions. Sorry if it wasn't good enough. :D Detroit is also trying to get their hands on Forsberg, and they've already got seven Swedish players :( Not that I get why you started ranting about Swedish players, all I said was that I didn't like the appearance of two pictures (too rough language?) and some uniforms. Oh well. Cheers!

....there's no difference i can see in how the players skate....
what?! maybe I need to play Genesis' '93 again, but in the SNES version the skaters have one-legged semi-circle bursts of skating. is that not how the Genesis version is? [makes a plan]

what?! maybe I need to play Genesis' '93 again, but in the SNES version the skaters have one-legged semi-circle bursts of skating. is that not how the Genesis version is? [makes a plan]

i meant in their overall movement ..... i just prefer the smoothness of the earlier games B)

This is such an amazing forum!! Me and my friends used to play 94 nonstop back in the day. Then 95 came out, some of em like it, but it was one of the biggest dissapointments in my life, lol!!! Nothing was ever the same after that......

Long live Nhl '94

This game was a complete disaster. The game was just too fast and scoring was way too easy. The only thing the game had going for it was season mode. It would have been better if EA retained 94's gameplay and combined it with the season mode.

Believe it or not, EA has actually compared NHL 08 to NHL 94 in terms of authenticity as well as fun factor. Perhaps they were also referencing its potential cultural impact, seeing as how both NHL games (08 and 2k8) are the first sports franchises to actually put some new, innovative stuff on the next-gen platforms.

• Like 1

Not that I liked either 06 or 07 too much... But seeing as 2k has implemented a feature (skill stick) that EA uses for the third year and they are like "wow, look what we can do", well I'm not impressed at all from what little I've seen of 2k8. A bit curious (more suspicious though) about 08 though, has some interesting stuff in it.

Not that I liked either 06 or 07 too much... But seeing as 2k has implemented a feature (skill stick) that EA uses for the third year and they are like "wow, look what we can do", well I'm not impressed at all from what little I've seen of 2k8. A bit curious (more suspicious though) about 08 though, has some interesting stuff in it.

In reality, EA's skill stick has only been used for a year; the previous stick could only do pre-determined moves.

Moreover, 2k8's skill stick allows one to stickhandle in every direction because shooting is mapped to a trigger. That means you can do the "Forsberg," the "Datsyuk," and basically anything.

It seems that competition has driven both 08 and 2k8 to be very good games. Which one is better? You'll have to buy both and find out. But don't let any biased feelings cloud your decision, because I've seen negative comments from EA fanboys who've never touched a 2k game, which is a shame because for the past few years, 2k ruled the hockey videogame world, especially with ESPN NHL 2k5. EA just started doing well with 07, and many people forget how bad their games were. Their last good one was 2004, and 2k had a stranglehold.

So if you're feeling adventurous and want to see what the next games hold, keep an open-mind, and a spare copy of 94 with you. :)

I own both NHL 2k3 and 2k6.. I've "got" 2k7 as well. The thing, for me at least, with the games today, is that they always have one really annoying thing. With NHL '07 I actually thought it might be a game I would be playing for a long time... But yet again there was something (can't remember what) that turned me off after awhile. The 2k games have been a tad to stale for my taste I think.

The NHL game I've played the most and have had the most fun with out of the more recent games is probably NHL Hitz Pro for PS2. Before that it's NHL '99 for PC, without a doubt the 3D hockey game I've played the most. '97 (Saturn) has got to be the absolute worst hockey game there is (by ease if you only count EA), they worked things up with '98 and hit the sweet spot with '99... Then they began to go downhill. I recall that I played 2000 quite a lot as well.

Was it 00 or 01 that "introduced" the blue line backhand goals by the AI? My god that thing drove me maaaaaad. :)

• 1 month later...

I see the 2 Producers of NHL95

SNES NHL95 Producer Kevin Hogan and Genesis NHL95 Producer Rob Martyn work on Sims games now.

Rob Martyn is currently engaged in trying to infuse magic back into children's software.

SNES NHL95 Producer: Kevin Hogan

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-sims-2/568045p1.html

Genesis NHL95 Producer: Rob Martyn

http://dmat.msu.edu/courses/sp05specialtopics.html

Kevin Hogan's Games Credited

The Sims 2: Open for Business (2006), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims 2: Pets (2006), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims 2: Nightlife (2005), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Godzilla: Save the Earth (2004), Atari, Inc.

The Sims 2 (2004), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims: Mega Deluxe (2004), Electronic Arts, Inc.

SimCity 4 (2003), Electronic Arts, Inc.

SimCity 4: Rush Hour (2003), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims (Deluxe Edition) (2002), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims: Online (2002), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims (2000), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Jack Nicklaus 4 (1997), Accolade, Inc.

NHL Hockey (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Toughman Contest (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

MLBPA Baseball (1994), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL Hockey 95 (1994), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Madden NFL '94 (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Michael Jordan in Flight (1993), Dro Soft

Mutant League Football (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL '94 (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Ultrabots (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Desert Strike: Return to the Gulf (1992), Electronic Arts, Inc.

John Madden Football '93 (1992), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Killing Game Show (1991), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Rings of Power (1991), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Rob Martyn's Games Credited

The Sims: Mega Deluxe (2004), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims (Deluxe Edition) (2002), Electronic Arts, Inc.

SimCity 3000 Unlimited (2000), Electronic Arts, Inc.

The Sims (2000), Electronic Arts, Inc.

SimCity 3000 (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Supercross 2000 (1999), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Moto Racer 2 (1998), Electronic Arts, Inc.

SimSafari (1998), Electronic Arts, Inc., Maxis Software Inc.

Madden NFL 98 (1997), EA Canada

Moto Racer (1997), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NCAA Football 98 (1997), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL 97 (1996), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Extreme Pinball (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL 96 (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL Hockey (1995), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NBA Live 95 (1994), Electronic Arts, Inc.

PGA Tour Golf III (1994), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NBA Showdown (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

Stunts (1990), Brøderbund Software, Inc.

Joan of Arc: Siege and the Sword (1989), Brøderbund Software, Inc.

Habitat (1987),

I wonder what ever happened to Designer Michael Brook?

Michael Brook Games Credited

NHL '94 (1993), Electronic Arts, Inc.

John Madden Football '93 (1992), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHLPA Hockey '93 (1992), Electronic Arts, Inc.

John Madden Football '92 (1991), Electronic Arts, Inc.

NHL Hockey (1991), Electronic Arts, Inc.

John Madden Football (1990), Electronic Arts, Inc.

EA Employees sue Company

SNES NHL95 Technical Director: Evan Robinson

http://www.igda.org/articles/erobinson_crunch.php

http://ea-spouse.livejournal.com/

http://news.thesimszone.co.uk/archive.php?ID=1847

I just rented NHL 08 and NHL 2k8.I wanted to like them.But I didn't like them.

What a waste of money but again next years I'll rent the new hockey video games hoping it has the gameplay and goalie control of NHL94.

It should be about gameplay not graphics!!

These new hockey video game commercials always show these weird instant replay kind of angles I just want to see the gameplay angle.

All the new hockey video games don't have the great camera angle like '94. In the new games the top net always seems a little bit too far away.

NHL 08 and NHL 2K8 discussion forum

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/32589

Jeff,

Nice work on the info. Interesting that some of these guys are still hanging around EA working on their "top" games, hehe. They have to follow their business model and continue to sell those units for profit that keep them afloat. Doesn't seem like they would ever take a chance on something out of the ordinary. Should we expect NHL2039 to be the "same old game" as NHL2003 with better graphics? Probably.

-Evan