NHL'94 Forums

Kega netplay sync

AdamWoodrow

Guys

My brother (in PA) and I (in AZ) have spent all night trying to play online together. We first tried GENS, but that program messed with my brother's laptop (running Vista). I'm running Windows 8 and I could run the program fine. But either way, we have the Logitech F310 gamepads and found that we cannot skate diagonally. We then tried KEGA. KEGA plays great on Vista and even better on Windows 8. We got ready to play, did the netplay stuff, and started our game. But within seconds, our game was out of sync and we were playing two separate games, but still controlling the players as if we were in the same game (i.e. my screen showed the goalie (my brother) with the puck, but he kept skating out because on his screen, he was a different player skating regularly. Follow?).

I'm so confused as to how you guys are able to play online without these issues. We both have strong internet connections and are wired in. We have tried multiple combinations when setting up netplay, and they all end up with the same result: right after the faceoff, we fall out of sync.

We have searched dozens of forums and nobody seems to be having this problem, or an actual fix for this issue. Do you guys have any suggestions?

How are you connecting to each other? Many times sync issues can be caused by router settings. In the community, we use a program called Hamachi. This works as a "server" and the 2 of you each get a set IP address. You then would create a "network" and have your brother or another player join that network by giving them the name and password. This then allows you to play against each other without having to worry about setting up your routers using Port Forwarding.

Also, if your controller has a Digital-Analog button, try the other setting. This has caused problems in the past with not being able to move diagonally.

You might want to check this out: Logitech F310 Input Mode Switch

Hamachi Setup: Getting Started Page

I haven't really messed around with Kega, but others have and hopefully will chime in. Good Luck!

Try increasing the latency before starting the game (i think the hosting player can do this).

for the diagonal skating, see if there is a toggle button on the controller. I need to enable "analog" on my controller. then try remapping the controls.

Guys

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, Hamachi is how we connected. We messed with the latency at all types of ranges and found that it works best at 100. But no matter where we had it set, the game still lagged at the same spot each time: right after the drop of the puck. Not familiar though with 'port forwarding.' Would that that work better than trading IP addresses, or is the IP address the best way?

As far as the diagonal skating, I did mess with that switch, but it changed the button layout, and I wasn't able to edit it. However, I did not look into it extensively because I knew we were going to use KEGA anyway. Might have to revisit GENS.

Thanks again for the help. We'll keep trying. Love this game too much not to give it full effort.

Guys

After hours and hours of trying to make this work, I can finally report that we were successful. It was the version of KEGA that we were using. Thank you all for the help. I had read about needing to use the 3.51 version before, but it had totally slipped my mind. Thank you for suggesting that. That's all it took. So excited. Thanks again!