NHL'94 Forums

Dynasty Style League

Brutus

Don't know how complicated the aging, rookie creator would have to be, but I'd imagine the Blitz style weight-bug fix would be better suited for this type of league, as all rookies being randomly created would potentially end up with some odd combos that the classic style would probably make even weirder.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

I used to play the old hockey simulator that you could use to play within the Gretzky hockey game, which is as far back as I can remember a hockey simulator being around. Being able to actually play out the games with a real entertaining game instead of Gretzky would be awesome. I still get hand cramps thinking about trying to score on that keyboard.

I played online baseball sims, and simdynasty was the best one that created all fake names, and had aging, developing & drafting to go with trades. There was some basic flaws in the simulator that ended up ruining it long term for me, but with online play, there would be no simulation needed. 3do had a baseball game that was similar to the EA games that added rookies over dynasty style seasons, so I'm not re-inventing the wheel, but how you implement the rookies and the aging/drafting, off-seasons is what would determine the success ultimately.

TO me, that would seem like the "next level" type thing for someone to do on this site.

I'd be happy to help out with anything that doesn't require actually programming the code! As normally with "new league" ideas, I'd assume you'd need to get enough interest, but with this idea, you could have smaller leagues without having overly stacked teams, because you control the draft pool, the development, etc. 12-16 team leagues are easier to keep together, imo.

http://nhl94dynasty.net63.net/Dynasty/index.php

Check out this league that has been in the makings for several years and multple commish's. Plabax finally took the reigns and got the league up and running. It's also a draft league.

The link you list goes to a league that is a draft league that didn't seem to have any rookie draft, aging, development, etc., which is more the direction of dynasty I was referring to.

Any chance it's the wrong link or turned into something else?

Anybody else have interest in a league where there would be something like this?

I'm fairly sure I could handle running off-seasons, developing the rookie sheets, etc, but I'd need help setting up sites, organizing enough players, and getting everyone to agree on the formulas that age current players, and create rookies.

They'd obviously have to manually put into the .bins via NOSE, but in 16 team league, it wouldn't be that much, and you wouldn't have to re-draft full rosters at the end.

The rosters were bidded and not drafted and there are rookie drafts, aging and such. The first season has no rookie draft because every player in the game isnt a rookie.

So the next season of dynasty will have the players and rookies from NHL 95, so there will be a rookie draft every year.

You would not need any formulas to help age anybody and create rookies because the stats are copy and pasted right from the game :)

You can check out the bidding that went on here: http://nhl94buds.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=forwards

We did it off the regular forums to avoid spamming the forums with all these new posts. And yes, it was about a year ago all this took place. Long story short, the original commissioner had some problems getting the league started and Plabax recently resurrected the league (thanks again!)

The final rosters and salaries are here, though it's missing some last minute trades: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkgzFFVwd1J6dHp1Mm56OEZiempNYmozdnJDbDlSNVE#gid=0

And finally, here is the link to the player attributes from '94 - '98: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At-xpauaq8xndEtPZ2M5d1R3RXltcjZVazAxSXZzY3c#gid=0

See. You geniuses thought of everything for that! In a way, I'm glad I missed out, as waiting a year would almost sour the taste.

I think the best idea we ever did off-site for one of our games was for a baseball game where we had a draft using 80 years back of baseball, and randomly creating a draft of players to pool from (I had APBA game that had all the players names able to be dumped into a file), and we had a random selection "weighted scale" to select the rookie draft class from up to 80 years back. We didn't bother with aging, but instead each team edited in their players "stats" to reflect that year of that players career, and when their career was over, that player retired. Being a baseball game, the game editor had you just fill in the stats and that's how the player played.

However, this was before online gaming, and a few of the guys started to hate each other, a few guys got married, and finding a place to play together ended all that. Sadly, Ruth never made it into the league as it ended well before his "number" was called.