NHL'94 Forums

Spring Classic 2013 League Registration Begins!

chaos

Spring '13 Classic League Registration!

Register HERE

For those of you who have registered on the NHL94Online site before, then registration will be easy. You just need to choose "Yes" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?", type in your site user name and password (NOTE: This is different than your forum password and user name, unless you made it the same), and choose the league you will be joining and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then, hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. It's that easy.

For those of you who have not registered on the NHL94Online site before, then there is a little more info needed to complete registration. You need to choose "No" for the question "Have you registered for a league before?" and enter a user name and password (it's common to use the same user name as your forum name or AIM name). You will also be asked to fill out some more information about yourself (email, location, timezone, AIM Name, system preference). Then choose the league you will be joining, and your team preferences (a total of 10). Then hit submit and you will be placed on the waiting list. You will then need to play a test game to make sure your connection is set up properly. This does not affect your place on the waiting list, but you cannot play in the league without playing the test game.

Registration deadline will be Monday, April 1st. At that point, we will assign teams to coaches and the schedules will be released.

There are 6 league levels we are hoping to run this season:

[GENS-A: This is for Advanced players. Genesis]
[GENS-B: This is for Intermediate players. Genesis]
[GENS-C: This is for Novice/Beginner players. Genesis]
[sNES-A: This is for Advanced players. SNES]
[sNES-B: This is for Intermediate players. SNES]
[sNES-C: This is for Novice/Beginner players. SNES]

This is just a template for the time being. The amount of league levels might change, depending on the amount of coaches who are registered and confirmed.

You CAN NOT sign up for multiple league levels (i.e. GENS and SNES). Only those who are reliable will be allowed to do so, at the discretion of us admins. This will allow you to concentrate on one league.

All beginner players for Genesis and SNES will be put in GENS-C and SNES-C (the lowest league level). This is to reduce the amount of controller and monitor homicides to a minimum, as well as keeping your self-esteem somewhat high. We also tend to have some new coaches come and go during the season, and keeping all new coaches in the lowest league level helps keep some continuity in the upper league levels.

The administrators (KingRaph and I) will assign what coaches go into each league level. Each league will have 12 coaches maximum, to give everybody a better chance at getting one of their top teams.

The season will be 40 games. There is no specific order in which the games need to be played. There will be weekly checkpoints of 6 games, meaning you need to play at least 6 games a week. Don't freak out - since you have multiple games against each coach, it normally amounts to playing 2 coaches a week. Coaches normally like to get all the games against 1 opponent done at the same time. How to set up a game against a coach and log the game will be described in the forum post prior to when the season starts.

TEAM SELECTION PROCESS

We will be using smozoma's method for team selection. We used this the last 4 seasons and it worked out pretty well. Here is a brief description:

- Everyone is generated a randomized number. This means that it doesn't matter if you registered on the first day or the last day. Everyone has the same chance of getting the first pick.
- After organizing the list using the randomized numbers, we go down looking at everyone's FIRST team pick, in order. Those coaches who still have their first team selection available by the time we get to them, get their first pick. If not, they get skipped.
- Then, we go down the organized list looking at the SECOND team pick of those coaches who are skipped. If those coaches still have their second team selection available, they get that pick. If not, they get skipped.
- Then we look at the THIRD pick, etc.

Example:

Iceguy has his team pref. listed as: SJ, ANA, TB, OTT
Zalex has his team pref. listed as: SJ, TB, OTT, ANA
FPB has his team pref. listed as: SJ, OTT, ANA, TB
Carse has his team pref. listed as: TB, ANA, OTT, SJ

The randomized order is Iceguy 1st, Zalex 2nd, FPB 3rd, Carse 4th.

First picks:

- Iceguy gets SJ.
- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ was chosen already.
- FPB gets skipped as well, since SJ was chosen already.
- Carse gets TB.

Second picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, since SJ and TB were chosen already.
- FPB gets OTT.

Third picks:

- Zalex gets skipped, because OTT was picked already.

Fourth picks:

- Zalex gets ANA.

I will not be changing team preferences for veterans after they have registered. If you aren't sure what team you want to use, wait until the last day of registration. I will allow new coaches "1" chance to change to their team preferences.

We are making the leagues smaller to allow for a better chance of getting one of your top teams. For those coaches that are new, I suggest practicing and becoming familiar with a few teams. Just in case you don't get your first pick, you will still have a shot at getting a team you are familiar with. You can contact any veteran coach to play some exhibition games, or practice against the computer.

Good luck! If there are any questions or problems, feel free to PM me or email me at chaos@nhl94.com.

INFORMATION FOR NEW GUYS

If you are new to the league, welcome! We are a big brotherly community here, and there are a number of guys who are always around willing to help the new guys out. First things first, you need to register for NHL94.com (this site), as well as on the nhl94online.com site (registration link at the beginning of this post). It is also required to have an AIM screen name, since that is the main method of communication for scheduling games. Once you are registered, the next step is to set up a test game. You can use the forum links below and post your availability. One of the veterans will send you a PM or a message on AIM. A test game needs to be played in order to make sure your emulator/network settings are correct. Once the test game is played, the veteran will confirm you on the nhl94online site. Once this is done, you are set until the season starts. A few days before the season starts (normally during the week after registration ends), you will be assigned a team. Team selections will be posted on this site. You will also be able to see them on the nhl94online.com site. Once teams are posted, the schedules will be put up on the site and you can start playing your games. There will be another post announcing the start of the season, with information on how to log games, contact other coaches, and how to make the playoffs.

Again, if you have any questions, please email me (chaos@nhl94.com) or PM me via the forums.

Getting Started Online - Hamachi setup and netplay - Getting Started
Rules - Rules
Genesis Test Games - Post Here
SNES Test Games - Post Here
View the Waiting List here

I would also like to include that from this season on, we will be keeping stats just like Blitz and GDL leagues. Instead of logging the game like you used to do, you will be uploading the save state from the game (for both GENS and SNES leagues).

I would also like to include that from this season on, we will be keeping stats just like Blitz and GDL leagues. Instead of logging the game like you used to do, you will be uploading the save state from the game (for both GENS and SNES leagues).

Awesome!

Any chance the leagues can be GENS A1, GENS A2, GENS-B (Rookie League) and the same for SNES if there is enough skill to match the criteria after everyone has registered?

I think A1 and A2 leagues are better because:

A better chance of getting your first pick

The conferences can be spread out evenly

The playoffs have more teams in it

There is a possibility of cross-conference playoff seeding so DNP's is not as big of a factor

It's a good way to bunch up the good mix of A/B players we have

Just some thoughts.

I received a voice-mail this morning from a certain NHL '94 player in Edmonton named Craig Simpson...a significant quote follows...

Simpson: "Oilers, all I can tell you is that an entire city/province is counting on you right now. Edmonton wants in SNES A, and wants you to guide us...for better or worse..."

LOL!!

In all seriousness, I've thought a bit about how ive been able to successfully scale back on playing NHL '94, focus on other things in my life, and not be addicted to the game like I was in the past with endless practicing, training, exhibs, etc. With that, I'm joining up for Spring 2013 and contributing to the 20th anniversary of the game!

#fortheloveofthegame

:)

Edited by Oilers442

Any chance the leagues can be GENS A1, GENS A2, GENS-B (Rookie League) and the same for SNES if there is enough skill to match the criteria after everyone has registered?

I think A1 and A2 leagues are better because:

A better chance of getting your first pick

The conferences can be spread out evenly

The playoffs have more teams in it

There is a possibility of cross-conference playoff seeding so DNP's is not as big of a factor

It's a good way to bunch up the good mix of A/B players we have

Just some thoughts.

This is a good idea. We'll have to see how many coaches we have by the end of registration. We are starting to have a large amount of "A" level players now, especially in GENS.

I like having just the one A league for SNES at least. It sucks if you end up in "A2".. just doesn't sound as legit or important as just "A" or "A1".

There should be one A league and you should have to earn your way in. For example, the top two B players replace the bottom two A players from the previous season.

I think if you have a bunch of "B" players playing "A" players, and they start out 0-10, they figure out they probably aren't title contenders real quick, and then stop logging in.

I think players should have a general ranking and try to be placed accordingly (if this is possible), to prevent high drop out rates I was hearing about.

Also, I'm not too sure how the leagues are organized, so this might already be done.

Another idea is trying to find out "play" times, and group leagues that way. Best thing is to be able to get your games played well above who you are playing, imo. The chips will fall and seasons finish faster and players move on to next season faster if they are lumped together based on "when" they play.

I'd rather be a A-B & C league that finishes all its games quicker than an A league that takes 5 times as long, or a B league that never really finishes. Another point of having rankings would be after you finished a season with players in the same playing time zones( I specify playing over actual time zone because that's all that really matters), you could try to scale the talent so the worst players got the best teams, and the best players got last pick.

(watch, I'll end up being the guy who needs the all-star team when its done!)

Edited by Brutus

Currently, the superbuds are leaning towards one A league and several B leagues comprised of new players and returning players. to try and reduce the turnover in C league, we can just have guys cross B leagues if necessary to finish schedules.

I think if you have a bunch of "B" players playing "A" players, and they start out 0-10, they figure out they probably aren't title contenders real quick, and then stop logging in.

I might be in GENS C but i would never do this no matter how bad im doing. I dont think it's right for the admins to spend so much time trying to prepare this just so that people leave cause they aren't doing bad

when it comes to the players who are hard to tell apart for A or B, probably best to just ask the guys which league they want to be in, rather than have people argue about which league they want to be in. some guys might not care either way, while some guys might complain a bunch if they're not in the league they want

when it comes to the players who are hard to tell apart for A or B, probably best to just ask the guys which league they want to be in, rather than have people argue about which league they want to be in. some guys might not care either way, while some guys might complain a bunch if they're not in the league they want

thanks smoz.....i sent out some pms to some buds a few days back...boom!

Keep tryin to register but saying im not a human :excl:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/nhli.jpg/ is my prefered team selection :)

I'll make sure you get a team bud......and it's correct...you are not human.:)

It will start this week, probably later in the week. Registration finishes Monday. After a few days, the teams will be assigned and schedules put up on the site.

Well, due to my work commute & lack of decent internet there this season is still impossible for me. Gutted to miss out on the 20th anniversary tournament but there's no way I could see me getting the games played.

Just want to say a big good luck to everyone participating. With the standard in Gens A league now it has the potential to be a really special one.

Hopefully my situation will improve & I can commit to the Fall league.

Also, I think Halifax's decision to go back to Gens B1 & B2 leagues is excellent. A,B,C is what you want in terms of competitive games, but the turnover of noobs is just too high to ever get near to completing a C league season. This will ensure a much higher % of games played.

Well, due to my work commute & lack of decent internet there this season is still impossible for me. Gutted to miss out on the 20th anniversary tournament but there's no way I could see me getting the games played.

Just want to say a big good luck to everyone participating. With the standard in Gens A league now it has the potential to be a really special one.

Hopefully my situation will improve & I can commit to the Fall league.

Also, I think Halifax's decision to go back to Gens B1 & B2 leagues is excellent. A,B,C is what you want in terms of competitive games, but the turnover of noobs is just too high to ever get near to completing a C league season. This will ensure a much higher % of games played.

Hey i was in the same situation but luckily i fixed it. It sucks to see any player drop before the season starts but especially this season but there is still the 20th anniversary fall league. And halifax. Mark my words as i will play 40 games no matter what happens.

And halifax. Mark my words as i will play 40 games no matter what happens.

your words have been marked. I hold you to the highest bud standards of all buds.

thanks again for helping confirming guys connections this season.

Hi People,

I guess this is my introduction. Uncle Seth here. I'm a rookie coach but a vet of the game. Can't wait to get the Genesis classic league going.

Welcome. I'm newer here myself. Let me know if you want to play a game or two. I think I can confirm players too now if you need a confirm game.

ETA my AIM: jagr68. I am generally available throughout the day and later evening CST. If my status on AIM is set to available I am generally able to take a break from work and play a game or two.

Edited by jagr68

I'll play you Jagr. I'm brand new, never been in a league like this, but really want the opportunity to have a try-out of setting up a game, joining a game etc. so I'm ready come next registration. Bit gutted I just missed out on this Spring season.

I'll play you Jagr. I'm brand new, never been in a league like this, but really want the opportunity to have a try-out of setting up a game, joining a game etc. so I'm ready come next registration. Bit gutted I just missed out on this Spring season.

Keep active, we need replacements EVERY season...you'll be able sign up on the waitlist.

Awesome. I'm really not bothered about what team I go as, as long as I get to play and have some fun, I'll be as active as possible :-) Need to get familiar with how it all works though.

Registration is still open for Pond Hockey League, it uses a 2on2 NHL94 rom with 4 players playing all at once. New guys are definitely welcome to join.

Post in this thread: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15171-new-league-idea-sign-up-here/#entry126178