NHL'94 Forums

GENS netplay issues

Ok so me and my friend were trying NHL 94 on gens with netplay and as soon as the game starts the FPS went crazy and it was lagging horribly so we stopped and now we are now trying to figure out what is wrong with it all other emulators work fine which makes me mad because im confirmed for the GENS league in the classic spring season and i want to play so i need to get this fixed before the season starts.

It may just be a bad connection (hamachi), or might be that one of the PCs has a slow connection speed. You can also play "server" using client protocol instead of P2P. Don't worry too much about Classic, as long as you have all the required software and a good wired highspeed connection you'll be good.

It may just be a bad connection (hamachi), or might be that one of the PCs has a slow connection speed. You can also play "server" using client protocol instead of P2P. Don't worry too much about Classic, as long as you have all the required software and a good wired highspeed connection you'll be good.

wired connection?

Playing through wifi will give unpredictable connections, best to be wired to your modem or router.

well that can't be possible since i dont have a 30 ft cord going through the house to my laptop

laptop

they don't make those so you can pick them up and move them anymore? :)

it does suck, and doesn't make much sense that this one emulator would have such bad netplay compared to others, but wiring up often helps the connection. i have a cable hidden behind my desk and run it over the router when I need to.

they don't make those so you can pick them up and move them anymore? :)

it does suck, and doesn't make much sense that this one emulator would have such bad netplay compared to others, but wiring up often helps the connection. i have a cable hidden behind my desk and run it over the router when I need to.

well i would move it but i use it mostly at night when i am in bed and plus if i had a cable i wouldn't know how to hook it up

well i would move it but i use it mostly at night when i am in bed and plus if i had a cable i wouldn't know how to hook it up

Plug one end into the back of your modem or router, and the other into the ethernet port on the side or back of your laptop. Windows will know what to do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQ9rsz90zScnEWHY6j9hW

2677974-network-cable-about-to-be-plugge

Plug one end into the back of your modem or router, and the other into the ethernet port on the side or back of your laptop. Windows will know what to do.

looks like a wired connection isn't a option any other way to make GENS netplay manageable? it really doesn't make any sense that it seems that you would require a stupid wired connection to play netplay it's just stupid.

looks like a wired connection isn't a option any other way to make GENS netplay manageable? it really doesn't make any sense that it seems that you would require a stupid wired connection to play netplay it's just stupid.

lol its the only option man. run a long wirewho cares, or play by the router, it's all you can do

If you are going to take the time to play in a league, you should make the time to have a reliable internet connection. At this place you can get up to a 100ft cable, which only costs 9 dollars, or a 50 ft cable for 5 bucks http://www.microbarn.com/products.aspx?rid=164

All you have to do is plug in a cable when you decide to play your league games. Remember, a good league is only as strong as its least reliable member. So decide what type of league member you want to be.

If you are going to take the time to play in a league, you should make the time to have a reliable internet connection. At this place you can get up to a 100ft cable, which only costs 9 dollars, or a 50 ft cable for 5 bucks http://www.microbarn.com/products.aspx?rid=164

All you have to do is plug in a cable when you decide to play your league games. Remember, a good league is only as strong as its least reliable member. So decide what type of league member you want to be.

do you not think that's what i have been doing these past 3 days?

lol its the only option man. run a long wirewho cares, or play by the router, it's all you can do

than that's complete crap i have had limited problems when using kega when using netplay

Have you tried connecting to any other players? It's possible it was just one bad connection. You can play on wireless, but there might be some lag.

You can test your wireless connection at pingtest.net. This gives you a grade. You can post your results here if you have any questions.

do you not think that's what i have been doing these past 3 days?

than that's complete crap i have had limited problems when using kega when using netplay

Dude just listen to everyone else, gens is different. If you're gonna be a baby about the cord then have fun playing peerat everyday in the kega only fan club

Have you tried connecting to any other players? It's possible it was just one bad connection. You can play on wireless, but there might be some lag.

You can test your wireless connection at pingtest.net. This gives you a grade. You can post your results here if you have any questions.

i have a question does it matter whether or not i play on a secure network? cause i have been stealing neighbors wifi when i have been playing so that might be a issue

If you do not have your own internet connection, then using your nieghbors wifi is not going to guarantee that you ever have a reliable connection.

If you do not have your own internet connection, then using your nieghbors wifi is not going to guarantee that you ever have a reliable connection.

i have my own connection i just use the neighbors because i dont want to run up my bill

i tested this with my connection NOT my neighbors 79006262.png

i even tested it 850 miles away 79006355.png

Edited by saintsfan2500

i have my own connection i just use the neighbors because i dont want to run up my bill

You have an ISP that charges by usage? :huh: I haven't heard of that in quite some time.

I agree that it's probably not the emulator but the wifi that is causing your lag problems. In general wifi will cause lag because of the random noise (microwaves, phones, etc) that can interfere with the wifi signal getting to your comp. Wiring up eliminates that. The other thing that causes lag is Internet bandwidth.

If you're stealing your neighbors connection, chances are other people are too. And they're probably downloading tons of crap, eating up bandwidth and causing lag for gaming. The problem is you'll never know because it's not your own network. At least on your home connection you can monitor who is using the Internet.

I will guarantee that most players seriously look at wiring in after desyncing a league game that they are winning.. and it's not a matter of "if", but "when".

If you have your own internet account, then you should be using that, at least to play your league games. The amount of data transmitted for web browsing and email is tiny, and even less I would imagine for a few minutes of nhl94 netplay each week.

You have an ISP that charges by usage? :huh: I haven't heard of that in quite some time.

I agree that it's probably not the emulator but the wifi that is causing your lag problems. In general wifi will cause lag because of the random noise (microwaves, phones, etc) that can interfere with the wifi signal getting to your comp. Wiring up eliminates that. The other thing that causes lag is Internet bandwidth.

If you're stealing your neighbors connection, chances are other people are too. And they're probably downloading tons of crap, eating up bandwidth and causing lag for gaming. The problem is you'll never know because it's not your own network. At least on your home connection you can monitor who is using the Internet.

not necessary by usage but you do help me figure out what might be the problem thanks to you,jer_33 and chaos for the help

and i finally got to see who this mav guy is aswell

Those numbers are good. Stop using your neighbor's wifi. That causes a problem. You have no idea what kind of amount of bandwidth they are using.

yea thanks next time ill think twice before connecting to that wifi and trying to play again