NHL'94 Forums

Better than NHL94?

This is clearly not better than nhl94, bit it is simple, and an addictive game http://www.haxball.com/

Its like soccer or hockey played on the browser with a bounce dot, with little round players. If you combined ancient video pong and NHL94, this would be a likely outcome.

I forgot to add, you don't need to register, you just go to that site and put in a name, and then pick a game to join.

Here is a video on youtube to take a look

Anyone ever play: http://www.hockey.tk/login.cws

Java based hockey - using a mouse.

Tough to master, but really fun.

Yeah I tried that out a couple times. It's pretty fun and would actually be good if more people played, not just a bunch of faggy fins lol

• 9 months later...

So I've been playing www.haxball.com for a little bit, but only a particular "map" called SPACEBOUNCE. It's actually a lot of fun, and long story short, I ended up in a league as a GM.

The pros:

* web-based flash game (no setup or controllers required)

* skill/strategy game, really dependent on your chemistry with team.

* spacebounce requires more positioning and strategy than ball handling skills....which can be overwhelming when starting against experienced players (especially obnoxious ones...of which there are many)

* active spacebounce community -- always a game available. League is in the 3rd season and over 80 folks involved.

* yours truly is involved ;) (season 1 title team!)

The cons:

* It's not NHL'94

* 50% of the people are douchebags (think immature high school kids), 50% are cool.

Anyway -- if you're at all interested in getting involved, or just want to check out spacebounce, send me a PM and we'll make it happen.

I'd be up for haxballing; it's fun, but seems like all the rooms lag like a b***h.

Rooms can be created by anyone, so that can be true. However, the spacebounce rooms (should say spacebounce in the title) are usually okay. Good hosting is just like '94...wire up, make sure you or anyone on your network is not downloading/watching Netflix, etc.

If you see me on AIM, I'll host a room where we can practice.

just tried this def would like to try this with a few of you guys, could be heck of a fun.

so last night me, min, jay, tk, raph and frey are playing some haxball. eventually jay has to run. then raph runs. but the rest of keep playing in a room called nhl94.comSuperRoom...

while we're playing, some character named 'Jessica' shows up, starts playing and making small talk, trolling a little, etc. (nothing out of the ordinary.) then tk/frey tells the person that they should check out nhl94 and the person said he has-- he used to play. we weren't really sure what to make of it-- maybe he/she was trolling?-- but then he breaks out that only frey would know him and that he started the beer league.

bam! turns out, this dude is a character who went by the name of metz back in the day! dude is spending his nights trolling hax players under the name of Jessica with <3 as his number... he's probably working a normal day job-- little do his coworkers know that he lives a second life as Jessica on haxball.com.

anyways, what are the odds that someone would be on haxball that used to be a full-time 94 member?-- let alone be on at the same night and find us?

it's a small internet after all!

but not gonna lie... haxball is like the wild west-- it has a law of its own. people constantly trolling, booting each other from games, name calling, telling stories with people they recognize from games passed-- people coming and going. it's a strange world out there.

(ps: you should try hax. it's not better than 94, but it's still fun.)

Edited by Wittgenstein

Tried out that finnish hockey game and have to say its really awesome. Controls are a bit weird but its super-fun specially with 5v5 and offsides/icing on

Edited by Kashim

Hahahahh yeeaah that was so weird. Jessica even pulled off the 134340 thing, but i still believe this was dr pizza trollin.. Oh well, we now know where our lost souls go when they are done with 94: they play girls roles in haxballs.

Edited by Freydey

I've been playing way too much of this goddamn game. Had to endure pretty insane levels of noob abuse while figuring out how not to suck, but once I started gelling with teammates and making plays, it became one of my favorite alltime multiplayer games. Thing is, everything Wittgenstein said about the community there is the truth. Assholes and weirdos abound. Don't feed the trolls.

I've heard the developer lost interest in working on Haxball, which would be a shame. It could really proliferate if it had more exposure.

Raph -- I've actually played SB with you a couple times. Usually go by an Avs-related nick. Kinda wanna see if I can get into a league. Are you or anybody else here are still involved?

I've been playing way too much of this goddamn game. Had to endure pretty insane levels of noob abuse while figuring out how not to suck, but once I started gelling with teammates and making plays, it became one of my favorite alltime multiplayer games. Thing is, everything Wittgenstein said about the community there is the truth. Assholes and weirdos abound. Don't feed the trolls.

I've heard the developer lost interest in working on Haxball, which would be a shame. It could really proliferate if it had more exposure.

Raph -- I've actually played SB with you a couple times. Usually go by an Avs-related nick. Kinda wanna see if I can get into a league. Are you or anybody else here are still involved?

If you haven't already, add us (raph, me, min, frey) on aim. We played tonight and have been playing few times a week.

Ya, the noob abuse is bad. But occasionally you find a room with chill people & it's cool.

Yeah, I ended up as a GM in Tip's Spacebounce League: http://z13.invisionfree.com/HaxSB/index.php?act=idx

I played season 01, and it was a lot of fun, couldn't play much in season 02, and then was asked to come back to GM my former team in the current season (03) because it was, an is, a disaster. Not sure I can commit to GM season 04...lots of fun, but time constraints.

I basically only place Spacebounce...I don't know if I'll ever get good at regular hax.

Like Witt says, a few guys from '94 have played recently. It's actually a lot of fun when you play with people you know.

Anyway, if you want to get into Tip's league, I'd suggest playing in Spacebounce rooms, particularly one that is usually on called "Tip's Spacebounce", then you sign up as a free agent on the forum I linked to above and a team can claim you.

You can create and password protect your room, no?

Yep! So if you have enough guys to play, just create a room with a password. However, if you just want to hop in an practice, you can create an open room or join a room without a password. Then deal with the trolls, haha.

If you haven't already, add us (raph, me, min, frey) on aim. We played tonight and have been playing few times a week.

Alright cool, i'll reinstall AIM and add everybody.

Out of curiosity... Anyone interested in a 6-Man tournament? My favorite game mode right now, and I don't think there's any competitive forum for it. If you're unfamiliar -- it's a hexagonal map with six nets, guarded by one player each. Free-for-all elimination. You get 3 lives and lose one for every goal against, or if you're the last one to touch the ball before it goes in an unmanned net. It has the physics of normal Hax which lets you pull out the usual skill moves, but it's fairly unpredictable, and as nets empty out, you need Spacebounce-esque patience/positioning.

Edited by nightonthesun

• 7 months later...

I still continue to play in the Spacebounce Haxball league (www.haxsb.com) it's a lot of fun. Simple to learn, difficult to master.

I just posted on their forum about upcoming classic league: http://s13.zetaboards.com/HaxSB/topic/7241113/1/

There are over 120 active SB players all over the world, so I'm hoping a few try '94 out.