NHL'94 Forums

Spring'13 GENS A Odds

kingraph

SInce the oddsmaster (HABS) is not in classic this season, I thought I'd take a stab at the Spring '13 odds. I always find the odds threads fun.

You can also check out the IIHF-style rankings.

So, here's my odds....place your bets and exploit the value from poor oddsmaking!

GENS SPRING'13 ODDS TO WIN THE CUP

Carse - VAN +350: Carse returns from back to back championships (5 out of the last 6!) with the same team he had last Classic and a previous title. Always the odds favorite, however, the only person to have knocked out Carse from classic in recent history, Freydey, is back this season for a shot.

flasox24 - CHI +400: The last time flasox had CHI he won, in Fall'11, taking out Frey's LA team in 6. While he may not receive many high-fives for taking CHI, there is no doubt that flasox should be one of the favorites this season.

Freydey32 - WPG +425: Frey hasn't played Classic since Fall'11 (the most stacked A league in quite a while/ever), taking LA to the finals and losing to flasox and CHI in 6 games. In the meantime, he's won back to back Blitz & Survivor titles! He returns to Classic with WPG, and I predict will do more damage with Housley/Selanne than with Gretz & Co.

Icestorm NHL94 - BOS +500: Another vet (and former champ - Fall'09 w/ DAL) who hasn't played since Fall'11 comes back to try and win the title with BOS. While I have him 4th in my odds to win, there would be no surprise to see Ice in the finals.

Plabax - DET +850: Plabax has catapulted himself into one of the better players in GENS and will have the relentless firepower and depth of DET this year to compete for the cup. DET is a powerhouse, and Plabax is capable of beating anyone on a given day He will be dangerous throughout the season.

kingraph - LA +1000: In the last two classics, kingraph has lost in the conference finals with DET and MTL. LA isn't as strong of a team, so kingraph will have a much bigger challenge ahead of him this season if he wants to hoist the cup.

BoKnowsNHL94 - QUE +1650: Coming off a strong GDL performance and a conference final appearance last season, Bo has proven he can play at a high level. He hasn't had much classic success, so we'll see if he can take Sakic (his GDL X #1 pick) and company far. Could be a sleeper.

da94wookiee - CAL +2000: Wookie didn’t have a great Fall'12 classic, missing the playoffs and finishing with a .258 win %. I think this season's coaches will be even tougher than last season. While Wookie has the skills to make it into the playoffs, it will be a very tough battle to get there.

Vocally Caged - BUF +2800: VC has missed the playoffs in the last two classic seasons, slowly fading away from the '94 scene. However, he has shown that he can turn it up and play extremely well with Buffalo. Yet another dark horse here, depending if VC wants it bad enough.

eggink444 - DAL +4000: The current Blitz B champion moves up to A this classic, with DAL. Which two offensive starts were on that winning Blitz team? Modano and Russ! Eggink should be familiar enough with them to win some games this season. Playoffs is definitely a possibility, and anyone sleeping on this team may be in for a surprise!

xdeathsbloodx - PHI +4000: Unfortunately xdbx drew a weaker team this classic in PHI. While he has proven he can do damage in the B league with PHI, going far into the playoffs with them, it will be unlikely that he can replicate that success in the A league this season.

hokkeefan2 - MTL +5000: hokkeefan has not made Classic playoffs in 2 years, always finishing below .500 in the regular season. However, he returns with MTL this season, re-motivated and ready for a playoff run.

you should do B-1 odds!

I haven't played everyone enough to do that, but if I had to put a marker, I'd bet on dcicon with Buffalo, as he's a top "B" player, and sometimes plays in the "A" league. I also think Uncle Seth with Detroit will have a great season, as we've played a few exhibs and I think he's at that same top B/low A level coming straight out of the box, and DET is a monster. My guess is they both finish in the top 3. I'd also watchout for whomever has CHI (Kanou), but that's just a shot in the dark.

Do B-2! Do B-2! Just remember who's controlling the almighty paperweight penguins ;-)

Actually in all honesty, it would be useful to know who's predicted 'top-dog' in B-2 seeing as I haven't played everyone in the league yet.

Edited by FlowerPower

Hey, thanks for the plug Raph! I was just reading this & was about to comment that I can't wait to be considered in the top tier. After about a 10-year absence, it's so cool to play this game again against such good competition. I've played some great games in the past week with Wittengstien, Hokkee, & You. Finally got around to playing TomKabs too. On Wed. we played 7 total games in a row, he won 4, I won 3. So much fun playing all you guys. Can't wait to challenge more of you in exhibitions. All these thumb-aching contests I feel are helping me improve and shake off rust quickly.

Edited by Uncle Seth

Haha, well for B-2, I know Pearate, Minpind and Wittgenstein have good experience and I think they will all do well. I haven't seen Sicarius Fulgur in a bit, but I'd bet on him having a winning season too with CAL.

Finally, whomever has CHI (XxBDIDDYxX) as a dark horse.

I can't even tell you of those who I would bet on...and that doesn't include the rest of the field that I have no clue about.

I DO know that those are all great buds and I'm expecting a fun and exciting season from everyone!

Hey, thanks for the plug Raph! I was just reading this & was about to comment that I can't wait to be considered in the top tier. After about a 10-year absence, it's so cool to play this game again against such good competition. I've played some great games in the past week with Wittengstien, Hokkee, & You. Finally got around to playing TomKabs too. On Wed. we played 7 total games in a row, he won 4, I won 3. So much fun playing all you guys. Can't wait to challenge more of you in exhibitions. All these thumb-aching contests I feel are helping me improve and shake off rust quickly.

I have no doubt that you'll be top tier if you stick around. Exis are fun, but nothing gets your heart racing like a playoff series! Very glad to see you and a lot of new guys on board bringing some energy, skill, and enthusiasm!

It's definitely going to be a lot of fun. Really looking forward to getting under way. By the way, what controller input do you guys use? I'm currently using a 360 USB controller. Any pros/cons with other inputs?

Oh and we have to have a game Seth :-D

Edited by FlowerPower

You forgot to mention the night before when I won every exi lol

Any pros/cons with other inputs?

Whatever you are comfortable with, as it seems top guys use various inputs. Freydey and Plabax use keyboard, IceStorm and I use classic Genesis controllers (we're classic like that, lol), TomKabs uses analog sticks I believe, and Carse uses a power glove.

I've thought about using keyboard, and also the directional pad on the 360 controller. Analog stick's pretty easy to use but I'd imagine using an 8-axis directional pad would be more precise. Haven't tryed different control methods, who knows, I may still be a hidden master at this game.

Edited by FlowerPower

I've thought about using keyboard, and also the directional pad on the 360 controller. Analog stick's pretty easy to use but I'd imagine using an 8-axis directional pad would be more precise. Haven't tryed different control methods, who knows, I may still be a hidden master at this game.

Analog is the way to go man. It is very accurate, much better than crappy dpads

You forgot to mention the night before when I won every exi lol

Yes, you did beat me every game the first night we played. I purposefully left that out for a # of reasons.

1) Because it makes me look better

2) It was my first experience playing against you & I had no idea how to stop you offensively

3) Because you'll never beat me that badly again

4) I feel our lastest get-together showcased my ability better than the 1st time

5) Because it is fun to talk smack to an extent (didn't I shut you out in the final game we played?) :cry:

6) I had to get ya back for a funny comment ya made on IM after I said I think I can hang with the big boys :D

7) Because all of the above will make you want to beat me that much more next time.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I'll take your advice then and stick with analog. Clutching at straws as to why I suck.

Although I have just scored 2 slapshots with Lemieux in one game. Think I've got the hang of it, it's lethal!

Edited by FlowerPower

BTW, I just read the etiquette thread. Didn't know about the poke-check and no-whistle on penalty shots. I apologize to whomever I played recently, I went back & got it then scored.

etiquette is cheese lol I'd rather play someone who goes for the double penalty shot than someone who dumps and rags with a late lead

etiquette is cheese lol I'd rather play someone who goes for the double penalty shot than someone who dumps and rags with a late lead

well im glad im not in A because i would lose to you 11-2 (like our test game lol)

^

I don't subscribe to the notion that dumping or icing it is cheap when you have a lead. That's what teams do in real hockey, play it safe when they're up. It's defensive. The solution is to be a better forechecker or improve your posession game.

IMO, nothing wrong with getting to the red line and chipping it in their zone. Minimize risk. I think playing "keep-away" aka hiding behind your own net is stupid though. It's a dead giveaway that one is scared and clinging on for dear life just to get a win. Plus you just look goofy and that's not hockey.

Oh, and I think cheap goals like cutting across the crease are part of the game. Every time someone scores like that on me I get pissed, but at myself for not being proactive and controlling my goalie. But we're all entitled to our own opinion.

That's what I think is so great about 94. Almost anything you don't want to happen can be prevented. In 93 you have those wrap arounds that can't be stopped. In 95 you can score from the red line all day with Rob Ray's slow on the ice slapper. Even if you control your goalie, it will still go in oftentimes. But 94 is the best of all the hockey games because there aren't many excuses when things don't go your way (aside from penalties).

^

I don't subscribe to the notion that dumping or icing it is cheap when you have a lead. That's what teams do in real hockey, play it safe when they're up. It's defensive. The solution is to be a better forechecker or improve your posession game.

IMO, nothing wrong with getting to the red line and chipping it in their zone. Minimize risk. I think playing "keep-away" aka hiding behind your own net is stupid though. It's a dead giveaway that one is scared and clinging on for dear life just to get a win. Plus you just look goofy and that's not hockey.

Oh, and I think cheap goals like cutting across the crease are part of the game. Every time someone scores like that on me I get pissed, but at myself for not being proactive and controlling my goalie. But we're all entitled to our own opinion.

That's what I think is so great about 94. Almost anything you don't want to happen can be prevented. In 93 you have those wrap arounds that can't be stopped. In 95 you can score from the red line all day with Rob Ray's slow on the ice slapper. Even if you control your goalie, it will still go in oftentimes. But 94 is the best of all the hockey games because there aren't many excuses when things don't go your way (aside from penalties).

Yeah of course I'm a believer in no 'cheap' goals. To be competitive you have to be able to score in any way, that's how everyone online plays.

Ehh I just think dumping is frustrating and annoying. Not saying it's cheap or unfair or wrong, it's just boring and annoying and unexciting. Dumping and chasing in 94 is dumb lol

Yeah of course I'm a believer in no 'cheap' goals. To be competitive you have to be able to score in any way, that's how everyone online plays.

Ehh I just think dumping is frustrating and annoying. Not saying it's cheap or unfair or wrong, it's just boring and annoying and unexciting. Dumping and chasing in 94 is dumb lol

its ok if u dump it then have a guy racing for it and beat guys to puck and throw it out front for 1 timer to 66 haha

I'll take you down soon enough. The last games we're very close ones (8-7). Nonetheless, you still blanked me with Van. If we'd have played 1 more I think I would have got ya. Shoulda, woulda, coulda right.

For someone who got spanked 7 in a row you sure are cocky

Whatever you are comfortable with, as it seems top guys use various inputs. Freydey and Plabax use keyboard, IceStorm and I use classic Genesis controllers (we're classic like that, lol), TomKabs uses analog sticks I believe, and Carse uses a power glove.

i use a keyboard lol

For someone who got spanked 7 in a row you sure are cocky

Yes, that's a fair statement. But I believe I'm improving against you nearly every time we play. And the goal gap has shrunk considerably. Only a matter of time before I beat you when you're Van. When you're any other team, you're nothing special and I've taken you down.

But, you w/Van is such an intense challenge I always look forward to it.

Edited by Uncle Seth