NHL'94 Forums

Can someone explains to me how this happened?

chaos

Game between Freydey and Icestorm:

Box Score - http://nhl94online.com/html/box_score.php?gameid=11734

nhl94_000.bmp

Ray Bourque scores without a SOG (OK, maybe it was an own goal). Better yet, he recorded 0:00 Ice Time. And did this in 3 different games.

I checked the ROM with a hex editor and he did indeed record 0:00 ice time.

What causes this?

My guess is it was a penalty shot. Penalty shots don't register a SOG, even if you score. Not sure about 0:00 ice time. The only thing I can think of is Ray wasn't in the game but for some reason came to take the penalty shot.

Sounds spot on to me. Bourque doesn't have any ice time in any of the games, but gets a goal in the 3 that penalty shots were scored.

Good observation, but how is he taking penalty shots if he isn't on the ice at the time it is called?

Perhaps he's set to take penalty shots, no matter who gets tripped on the breakaway, and because penalty shot time doesn't count towards regular time, he doesn't register for any time on the ice, but still gets the goal if he scores it. Seems the only logical explanation.

Pass shots will register a SOG if a goal is scored (not the case in '93).

I know there is some bug in the game where the player who takes the penalty shot is different than the player who had the breakaway. Not sure when/why this happens, but it definitely does! It's happened to me a few times.

So somehow Bourque was chosen to take the penalty shot, even though it should have been someone else.

Maybe IceStorm remembers?

I might have a video example...if I find it I'll post.

Thanks, I sent Icestorm a PM last night. Waiting for a response. I had thought something was wrong with how I was processing the save state, but it shows up in the ROM, too.

Here's a video example of this bug. Start at the 10:05 mark. Paul Coffey gets a breakaway and the penalty is called, but it ends up being Steve Yzerman who takes the penalty shot!

Paul Coffey is a lefty and my plan was to do a backhanded pass shot for the penalty shot, but as I started, it was Yzerman who is a RIGHTY....messed me up bad (forehand vs backhand pass shot requires different angle/preparation) and I ended up losing in OT. :cry:

it happen like 3 times, each time Asstorm had a PS Bourque was send to take the PS, even tho he wasn't even playing lol..

Maybe the game picks the top rated player on the team to do the penalty shots? Would be nice if someone would catalogue who takes the penalty shots for all the teams.

people could post in this thread for each they uncover. I assume Classic uses the original ROM, is that right?

people could post in this thread for each they uncover. I assume Classic uses the original ROM, is that right?

Yes, original ROM. I'll try to remember to keep track as well. I don't believe one player takes the penalty shot ALL the time. So we should track who should have taken the shot and who actually took the shot.

• 1 year later...

i just reproduced this. It happened when the guy out of the box was tripped on a breakaway. Seems that according to it the RW did not exist so they gave it to someone in ice, in this case Bure. Possibly highest rated on ice player?

highest available? to be clear, this is happening when the previously-penalized player comes out of the box and get restrained in his breakaway, right?