NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2013 (updated 7/14/13)

trudatman

Ninety_Flow2013label.png

quite a lot has changed. literally every player was updated with ratings based on their statistics for the regular season. I did a much better job with the ratings this time. I recently overhauled all of the uniforms and they are much better than they were. the playoff brackets have been set and will likely need to be adjusted. check back for updates. I am still seeking help and corrections and comments; if something seems wrong, please report it to me. if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum.

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

the file was updated on July 14th, 2013. if you downloaded a copy before then, get this one to replace it:

NinetyFlow2013.smc

Edited by trudatman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aside from critiques, criticisms, comments and corrections, I'm hoping to get help with:

-expansion of roster space

-expansion to 30 teams

-getting goalies freed to roam further

-replacing outdated center ice images with invisible, generic or new images

-addition of one space between initial and name in game stars popup, statistics lists

-removal of logos and copyrights

-having a flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of the constant scoreboard overlay

-adding more selectable options when changing lines

-having a time clock with real speed instead of the fast ticking

if you can help me make this thing better, please volunteer your services. if this ROM can help you develop your skills/projects, please use it in any way that you see fit, short of pulling a profit.

---

unless you are a gaming-with-a-keyboard master, you'll want to use a gamepad, or this game will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:

control.jpg

L = left defenseman control

R = right defenseman control

u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement

X = goaltender control

Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue

A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill

B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip

s = line change

S = start, menu

---

NinetyFlow2013 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate NinetyFlow2013 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns NinetyFlow2013 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

Edited by trudatman

I misspelled Clutterbuck, so there will be an update tomorrowish. help me find other stuff to fix, please!

I find this to be unplayable due to the lack of the player star. Aside from when I have the puck, I have no way of telling who my player is.

The player # is a luxury, albeit a useful one, as I like to know who is handling the puck so that I am instantly aware of strengths and weaknesses.

Aside from these rather major issues, I do like how the guys skate and shoot. Much better than the default game, and thus I offer the critique because I think this RO has great potential.

Cheers

did you try using player four or five? the orange or red shadows may be easier to see for those that rely on the icons.

I don't buy into the "can't tell who I have" thing, but I do understand that the initial shock of not having flashing neon marquees announcing who you have and who has the puck can be offputting. you have the guy with the shadow in the color you selected in the controller menu. you have the guy skating around and hitting everything he sees. you have the guy moving as you direct him. you have the defenseman on the right side of the screen if you hit R. you have the defenseman on the left side of the screen if you hit L. you have the goalie if....

well, anyway, I get that people don't initially like the lack of hand holding in the ROM, but many of those that have given it more than two tries enjoy the more realistic look and even prefer the removal of the icons, believe it or don't. maybe because I am familiar with every player and line in the league I don't miss the numbers... I guess I suggest using a team you are familiar with so you know who everybody is based on their positions and tendencies. the numbers, arrows and stars aren't going back in through my efforts, but anybody is welcome to put the clutter back in for themselves or others.

I appreciate the feedback and I invite you to give it a few more tries with an open mind.

Edited by trudatman

did you try using player four or five? the orange or red shadows may be easier to see for those that rely on the icons.

I don't buy into the "can't tell who I have" thing, but I do understand that the initial shock of not having flashing neon marquees announcing who you have and who has the puck can be offputting. you have the guy with the shadow in the color you selected in the controller menu. you have the guy skating around and hitting everything he sees. you have the guy moving as you direct him. you have the defenseman on the right side of the screen if you hit R. you have the defenseman on the left side of the screen if you hit L. you have the goalie if....

well, anyway, I get that people don't initially like the lack of hand holding in the ROM, but many of those that have given it more than two tries enjoy the more realistic look and even prefer the removal of the icons, believe it or don't. maybe because I am familiar with every player and line in the league I don't miss the numbers... I guess I suggest using a team you are familiar with so you know who everybody is based on their positions and tendencies. the numbers, arrows and stars aren't going back in through my efforts, but anybody is welcome to put the clutter back in for themselves or others.

I appreciate the feedback and I invite you to give it a few more tries with an open mind.

I do not know how to use player 4 or 5. I only have 2 USB inputs on my Mac, so it looks like I am blue or green. WIth the Rangers, it is impossible to see. I know the Rangers best, but I cannot quite tell who is who still. I can tell when I watch a real game, who is who, without needing the #s, but not quite with video games. On Defense even, I can tell who is who without them getting the puck and the announcer telling who it is. Del Zotto has the best reach and is a fluid skater, a bit tought to tell from Moore. McDonough has a more compact stance. Griardi is always in position without needing to wildly skate to find his spot. Stralman is just not as fluid a skater. And Eminger is whoever is left over.

I tried a few more games. I still love the puck handling passing, shooting, skating and goaltending. I just struggle especially in D, The only way I can tell who my guy is, is to pump the check button, and just hope that I propel myself to the right place. And on offense, line changes off, I just figure, "Eh, whoever is carrying the puck must be good."

So yea, if you can find it in you to just give a bit of a feedback prompt assist, then great. If not, then my loss.

Cheers.

Here is an idea- can you throw the guy's # who the user is controlling onto the back of his jersey? This way, you maintain your open ice de-clutter, and you give those of us who are "accustomed to hand holding," the necessary prompt for us to be able to know with absolute certainty who we are using

it would be great if it were possible to put the numbers on the jerseys. it isn't feasible. it may be almost possible, but a number wouldn't stick to the jersey in the different views -- it'd be on the guy's face sometime, on his back other and sometimes it would be floating near him.

you don't need more USB inputs, you just need to tell it to allow you access to the third, fourth and fifth players. which emulator do you use? I use SNES9x on a Mac. in the menu is an option for peripherals. if the multiplayer expansion is selected, you can map your controller to the fifth player, which should be easy to see compared to the first two. you may have to remap the first two to your keyboard or something so you aren't controlling multiple guys at once.

thank you for giving it another few tries! I very much appreciate not only that you did that but also that you returned to post a response with more feedback. feedback is CRUCIAL for hackers and gamemakers. I have gotten lots of negative feedback about the lack of icons -- see the threads for previous versions -- but I long ago decided that this game is mostly for me. it is great that others enjoy it and it is kind of a shame that some find it too frustrating, but I just don't want to put the icons back in. if somebody else decided to do that, that'd be cool. I have considered doing it, but with how much more I enjoy this game without those things, I want others to at least try it that way a few times. I have considered making one for folks that do try it, like you have, and just cannot get with it. I haven't totally ruled that out, but in the meantime there is more work to be done of higher priority to me.

my suggestion is to try getting player five going if you really do enjoy the other aspects of the ROM. there will be a little red shadow somewhat visible under your player. it is partially obscured by the player's natural light blue shadow, but it's very obvious to me, as I have gotten used to the hard-to-see blue shadow of player one. maybe trying to see the green one will have you noticing the red one easily.

thanks for your comments and suggestions, buddy! they are appreciated.

Edited by trudatman

the file has been updated. it needed a lot of adjustments and it got them. see the first post.

I use SNEX9x for Mac also. I will play with the settings a bit.

I think that we may have already discussed this- what do you use for NetPlay for Mac? I have looked around here on the forums, and it seems to be a bit of an issue for players.

A potential idea, seeing as so many do not like the lack of icons/ player #s, is to make the #s just a small, subtle indicator at the skater's feet. Remove the star, remove the hugeness and the ice clutter factor, and make the # just big enough so that those of us who struggle with identifying who we are controlling, as well as which specific player we are using (R. Nash/ B. Richards/ etc.) have our prompt to give us that confidence that we need to be playmaker/ power forward/ sniper/ etc.

If 12 or so of us appreciate the ROM (with or without the player indicator, I suspect that you will be hard pressed to find 12 who like it without the indicator), then we have a NinteyFlow league.

Cheers,

Cosmic

now that the update is done, I may poke around and see how tough it would be to add some numbers back in. if I do that, I will PM you a link to a modified ROM. as for online play, I don't bother. all the drama around here makes me glad I don't participate in leagues and the likes. seems like more trouble than it's worth. in person nobody is going to get away with disconnecting and blaming the systems nor throwing their controllers at the screen. good luck getting the fifth player working. it's easy. I think the option is called "multitap" or something similar.

I play this game with my friends, and we always do 2v2.

When there are no stars, it's a complete mess.

There is no benefit to not showing a player indicator.

Could you re add them? Otherwise this rom is likely for you, and you alone.

yeah, this thing isn't good for more than one player per team, that's for sure. I'll give it some more thought. maybe alternate versions for team play and the likes.... no promises.

now that the update is done, I may poke around and see how tough it would be to add some numbers back in. if I do that, I will PM you a link to a modified ROM. as for online play, I don't bother. all the drama around here makes me glad I don't participate in leagues and the likes. seems like more trouble than it's worth. in person nobody is going to get away with disconnecting and blaming the systems nor throwing their controllers at the screen. good luck getting the fifth player working. it's easy. I think the option is called "multitap" or something similar.

Right on, thanks brother. After playing it a bit more, I can tell who Hagelin is because he just flies and is so agile (as he is in real life). I usually have a suspicion when I am Nash, because he just seems bigger and more powerful, while still being so agile and maneuverable. Obviously, the only way that I can confirm my suspicions as to who I am controlling is to score. It is harder to tell when I am someone like Brad Richards, as he is generally just so generic in his skating and skill set (in actuality; this is not a knock on the ROM).

Cheers.

word. the game is different and it usually takes a bit of sticking with it to appreciate the differences. I'm glad you kept at it. you can also tell who you have by their positioning, right? I mean you know who the right wing is and who the left defenseman is, I assume. thanks for posting. I encourage anybody with thoughts on this ROM to share them. have fun!

word. the game is different and it usually takes a bit of sticking with it to appreciate the differences. I'm glad you kept at it. you can also tell who you have by their positioning, right? I mean you know who the right wing is and who the left defenseman is, I assume. thanks for posting. I encourage anybody with thoughts on this ROM to share them. have fun!

For the most part yes, but the skate routes are not always linear up and down. There is so much swerving & weaving that it is not always obvious to me who is who. But yea, when I play with Line Changes off, it is easy to memorize who is where. When Line Changes are on, it becomes a bit more difficult to figure who is who.

gotcha.

I will be updating this thing so the later-round matchups are correctly aligned. hopefully by Saturday night I'll have the next one done. I'll fiddle with the shadows, too.

Just wanted to let you know, I think this is the best Ninety Flow yet! I've spent hours upon hours on this game. The only suggestion I have is to add a player indicator on player one. just like on players 4 and 5 that little dot indicating the player wouldn't hurt. other than that this is the most realistic hockey game that i can find.

thanks! that is a really kind review.

so, there should be an update tonight. I've made those shadows a bit bigger, so they should be easier to see. I don't intend to make the first player's color any different, so even though it'll be bigger, you still won't really be able to see it (I like it that way). the fourth and fifth players should be much easier to see. this next update is going to fix uniforms, set second-round matchups and set lines for the current games.

updated. MANY changes.

that's the last time I ask a Canadan to update my topic title. he probably put the date like that so I won't ask for assistance in the future, but now people are going to think I'm from Canadia. our date format makes no sense, but I'm used to it and 19/5/13 looks wrong.

that's the last time I ask a Canadan to update my topic title. he probably put the date like that so I won't ask for assistance in the future, but now people are going to think I'm from Canadia. our date format makes no sense, but I'm used to it and 19/5/13 looks wrong.

Ahh it's alright nobody plays Ninetyflow anyway

check in anytime, Plabax. maybe some of the fun and function of SNES '94 will rub off on you.

check in anytime, Plabax. maybe some of the fun and function of SNES '94 will rub off on you.

I play SNES 94. But as I play GENS too the word "fun" is not one I can associate with the SNES version :closedeyes:

I play SNES 94. But as I play GENS too the word "fun" is not one I can associate with the SNES version :closedeyes:

I find SNES 94 to have better physics while skating and shooting. The GENS 94 is a little laggy when it comes to changing direction. And the scoring is slightly more realistic(in my opinion) on SNES 94.

I find SNES 94 to have better physics while skating and shooting. The GENS 94 is a little laggy when it comes to changing direction. And the scoring is slightly more realistic(in my opinion) on SNES 94.

Ahh.. The scoring where Patrick Roy lets in backhand floaters from far out and it's impossible to score a slap shot goal... The most realistic out there :unhappy:

Ahh.. The scoring where Patrick Roy lets in backhand floaters from far out and it's impossible to score a slap shot goal... The most realistic out there :unhappy:

It's realistic how I play. For my style of play, I don't take too many slap shots. I usually do take the floaters from down low. Genesis doesn't let anything in usually. I have to play the 20 minute periods just to get a decent scoring game. SNES I play 5 minutes and get like a 4-2 game. It's more fun in my oppinion. Plus the control of the player runs smoother.