NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2013 (updated 7/14/13)

trudatman

that is very nice. I put a lot of work into these '94 updates and sometimes the "no icons/can't play" comments make me feel like I'd save most people time by not sharing the ROMs and, thus, preventing their frustrations. I freaking love these constantly current classics, but I feel like there is a lot of work left to do. I really want to learn how to expand rosters, but I can't seem to follow the how-to nor learn from scoping the guts of the ROMs made by the guy doing that thing. I need a bit of hand holding on that and it doesn't seem like he wants to put in the effort. I'd also like to replace the outdated ceter ice logos with the standard NHL shield, as it's one of the few remaining "hey, that's not right" bits. I figure that would be relatively easy for somebody who is a bit better than I am at ROM hacking. getting rid of the copyright stuff in the intro would be cool, too. I think at some point I'll add more text to the credits screen, but I haven't got too much to say... maybe hints or directions for using the darker shadows... it would be great to have that all figured out before the final game of the season, but there's always "next year." I've typed it before, but I'm really not sure I want to do all of this again for future seasons. it would be great to have a partner in this project. anyway, thanks, again, for the comments.

Edited by trudatman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to add that your efforts are appreciated dude. While I can certainly do without your occasional "genesissy" bashing ( ;) ), it's great that you put in the time and effort to release an updated SNES ROM.

I also hope you guys get a smozoma/clockwise/wboy-type for SNES version one day, haha.

occasional?

we need a hacker that can add scripted stuff and decipher the compression and make a graphics editor and....

I'm not a good hacker, but I'm into rating players and keeping rosters current. I've done some outreach to other communities, but so far nobody has joined us to offer their expertise. if anybody has SNES hacking friends, PLEASE pressure them to join us. I would pay for certain progress. for some tech genius it would be relatively quick work.

anyway, thanks for the nice words. join the good guys using the better system to play the better game.

occasional?

we need a hacker that can add scripted stuff and decipher the compression and make a graphics editor and....

I'm not a good hacker, but I'm into rating players and keeping rosters current. I've done some outreach to other communities, but so far nobody has joined us to offer their expertise. if anybody has SNES hacking friends, PLEASE pressure them to join us. I would pay for certain progress. for some tech genius it would be relatively quick work.

anyway, thanks for the nice words. join the good guys using the better system to play the better game.

There is one editor that i've found somewhere for snes. I have no idea what it's called or where I found it, but I have it on my laptop.

right. there are shadows under the controlled players. player five has a dark red pool of blood that is partially obscured by the skater's existing natural shadow. player four has an orange one that is a bit too similar to the red one for my liking, but altering existing color options isn't currently in my bag of tricks. the third player has a pool of yellow under him, which is great for pissing on the logo of your opponent while your teammate holds the cup aloft. player two has a green indicator that is kind of tough to see between the regular shadow and the ice. player one's icon is very difficult to see, as it is a blue that is similar to the other on-ice colors in use. each one is larger than they were in previous updates, but not by too much. there is still no marquee with flashing lights pointing to the guy you have. short answer: no.

Edited by trudatman

right. there are shadows under the controlled players. player five has a dark red pool of blood that is partially obscured by the skater's existing natural shadow. player four has an orange one that is a bit too similar to the red one for my liking, but altering existing color options isn't currently in my bag of tricks. the third player has a pool of yellow under him, which is great for pissing on the logo of you opponent while your teammate holds the cup aloft. player two has a green indicator that is kind of tough to see between the regular shadow and the ice. player one's icon is very difficult to see, as it is a blue that is similar to the other on-ice colors in use. each one is larger than they were in previous updates, but not by too much. there is still no marquee with flashing lights pointing to the guy you have. short answer: no.

Any chance of making Player 1's shadow Orange, and making Player 5's shadow that difficult to see Blue? I have no requests for 2,3,4; I usually play by myself against the computer, and think Orange would be ideal. I tried to change the indicator colors but could not figure out how. Thanks.

I'm not going to change them because I like the default to be nearly invisible. you can choose your own in a couple of simple steps. activate the multitap option that opens up players three through five, then remap your controller to use a different player slot. both of those things are very easy to do in SNES9x menus. I'm pretty sure ZSNES has a multitap thing, too, but I don't recall for sure.

edit: or you could open the file up in TileLayerPro or something like that and recolor the shadows yourself.

Edited by trudatman

get the updated ROM from the first post.

Ahh it's alright nobody plays Ninetyflow anyway

Best ROM IMO. Skating physics and play development (for cross crease passes/ one timers especially) are best by far (of anything I have played, aside from NHL 13), bar none.

get the updated ROM from the first post.

It is definitely apparent that BOS has had their checking/ aggression/ D awareness ratings beefed up. I used to be them 7-0 or 7-1 just about every game in the last rendition (with either NYR, CHI or PIT). Just played one game with PIT and beat them 3-0, but Fleury stood on his head and my guys got hit alot harder than in any game I had every played previous. Only one knockout (Martin), but that is not really how I judge the game. I judge by how hard it was for me to knocked down the BOS players on my checks, and how easily my guys went down.

actually, I think their checking stayed about the same and their "aggression" (really just a likelihood to be called for a penalty that I call "reputation") ratings went down a bit, overall. the first forward line has gotten MUCH better since the end of the regular season. Horton and Krejci have really stepped up. I mostly just translated that increase in productivity into increased awareness ratings, as they already had the technical skills in place.

Edited by trudatman

• 5 weeks later...

so, I think players that have been enjoying NHL '94 since the nineties may find the shock of the stars and arrows and numbers being removed to be more than they are willing to challenge themselves to handle, but there is also the issue of kids coming to the game recently who struggle with the lack of coddling in my ROMs. this faked article makes a point:

http://hothardware.com/News/Nintendo-CEO-90-of-New-Gamers-Unable-to-Finish-Level-11-in-Original-Super-Mario-Bros/default.aspx'>http://hothardware.com/News/Nintendo-CEO-90-of-New-Gamers-Unable-to-Finish-Level-11-in-Original-Super-Mario-Bros/default.aspx

....It may come as a shock to some of you that most gamers today cannot finish the original Super Mario Brothers game....We have conducted this test over the past few years to see how difficult we should make our games and have found that the number of people unable to finish the first level is steadily increasing....a whopping 90% of participants couldn’t finish the level....About 70% died at the first enemy, and half of those died at that same spot twice....

Edited by trudatman

I don't think the issue with a lack of indicator is the game being too challenging... I think the issue is, it doesn't make sense.

It's like making the puck the same colour as the ice. You, in theory, can have a good idea of where the puck is at all times, but it's unusual, and without any justification as to why it should be the same colour.

Especially when playing multiplayer. I only ever play 4 players.

This is feedback. Do whatever you want with your rom. Just understand not everyone's going to find an adjustment like this to be favourable.

Just remember. It's your rom. Do whatever you want with it. But when you put it in a public setting, it's subject to criticism. This isn't your forum.

Edited by Stefan

it makes perfect sense in cases of less than three players. I very much agree that it doesn't work for group games nor for two players versus the computer.

since when is this not my forum?

I don't think the issue with a lack of indicator is the game being too challenging... I think the issue is, it doesn't make sense.

It's like making the puck the same colour as the ice. You, in theory, can have a good idea of where the puck is at all times, but it's unusual, and without any justification as to why it should be the same colour.

Especially when playing multiplayer. I only ever play 4 players.

This is feedback. Do whatever you want with your rom. Just understand not everyone's going to find an adjustment like this to be favourable.

Just remember. It's your rom. Do whatever you want with it. But when you put it in a public setting, it's subject to criticism. This isn't your forum.

That is exactly why I made my own rom with the number being the player indicator. So you could tell who the player was and who you were playing as. I took off the indicators and just left the numbers.... It's not that hard and something you could do in TLP in like 5 minutes.

cool. which ROM did you using as a starting point? got a file to share?

it makes perfect sense in cases of less than three players. I very much agree that it doesn't work for group games nor for two players versus the computer.since when is this not my forum?

It's your thread. So. Since always.

let's ask Evan. I'm pretty sure this whole place was a gift to me. I do my best to give back.

oh, yeah. and is it true that you still don't plan on finishing it?

so, the first page of this thread has what will likely be the final update for this past season. if anybody wants to participate in next season's updates, holler at your boy.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy the fact that blogger shows the site people viewed just prior to seeing my game pages, like the Garry Galley player card. that reminds me, does the introduction by Ron Barr actually display "sight of the 1994 NHL all star game" as it is quoted on the Ron Barr quotes page?

• 2 weeks later...

alright... I found another mistake. I have Max Talbot or some other Max playing on a penalty kill while he isn't on a regular line. that's too many active players on one team, so I'll be replacing him on the kill line with somebody that started. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD BE FIXING? please browse the rosters and stuff and see if there's something else that needs adjustment.

• 2 months later...

2013-2014 work has has begun. Dallas looks weird in their new uniforms. I'm waiting to revamp ratings until there is a substantial sampling size for the season. I'd be appreciative of tips like changed spelling of names or switched handednesses or remarks like "that guy was the fastest on the team in 2011, but now he is below average for speed." I'd also like it if somebody would be willing to double check my work on things like player weights, jersey numbers and handednesses. if you want to assist, I'd send you betas to peruse on the condition that you load official roster data and run checks. thoughts?

Edited by trudatman

getting there.

Edited by trudatman

loud and clear. did you try player five in the 2013 one? the indicators are there and they are larger than they used to be, but I'm not doing huge stars and giant arrows. feel free to add them back in, though. anybody is welcome to do anything they want to/with this thing as long as they aren't profiting.

67% done.