NHL'94 Forums

How'd You get your name

Brutus

Speaking to the moniker you hang on your online forum.

Some cool, some lame, some straight odd ball names, but quite a variety. Figured it'd be cool to hear how some of us came about it.

I never really played online games. I've had online poker name of Apollo Greed, but that didn't appeal to me for this.

Brutus Khan was the online name I had for some D&D game when I was in college 20 yrs ago, and since I was going all retro, figured I'd pull that one out. Even blasted a pic from D&D type game I used to play called "Dungeon Keeper".

Failing any cool hockey references coming to mind, and "I am Jack's Ragin Bile Duct" not working out as a logical login, I went with Brutus.

Great thread...I've wondered about a few names (yours being one of them) from time to time. Here's my story:

When I first got AOL waaaaaay back like 15+ years ago (back when people thought AOL WAS the Internet), one of the first steps to installation was "create a screenname". I thought about it for like 10 seconds and came up with KingRaph. Little did I know that would stick around with me whenever I needed a username for the rest of my life!

I used that name when I signed up on the forums, but it wasn't until 2-3 years later that I reset my AIM password for kingraph and was surprised that it still worked! I hadn't used it in like a decade! Was a mind trip to see all my old AIM contacts (none of whom were online, lol).

Category: Lame

My SN was based on back in 1995 when i joined my first TSN (The Sporting News) Fantasy Hockey League. Was trying to figure out a cool team name, so being only 4 years away from an actual icestorm In Rochester NY I decided on the Rochester IceStorm. Tack on my year of birth 70, alas IceStorm70

My wife and I are sort of groupies for the band Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers(seen them live about 125 times). Joined their forum about 2000 with the name jackandjose from one of their songs Jack vs Jose. Have just stuck with it for most things I join cause it's easy to remember.

I don't remember. it was the nineties. there can't be much to it. "yes," I guess. Digital Audio Tape may have played in to it. something.

Hold on plabs. I thought you were like 14. What kind of detective work you doing at 10? Finding the missing GI JOE leg?

Lol Grade 5 English class :)

Your middle name is XABA? What kind of name is that, nationality?

It's South African

I'm like KingRaph, I've been carrying around the same user name for like 10+ years now. Goes back to high school I'm pretty sure. I used to use Thedominator39 on AIM because I loved Dominik Hasek but got bored with that name. I'm not quite sure exactly how I came up with it, the X's are for my following of the Straight Edge lifestyle, I also like the Grim Reaper, dont know why, just always have kinda liked the cloak and scythe. So. yeah. pretty lame I guess. But the XdeathsbloodX name never seems to be taken anywhere so its easy for me to snag it on whatever website/game I feel like. I use it on Steam and PSN so people can add me on those services if you use them.

Yeah, I figured your XdeathsbloodX had to be an old login, but for different reasons. The thing to do back then to slip swears like xxxfuckxxx, xxxassfuckxxx, xxxbutthole, xxxdicklickerxxx, etc was to you the x's to get passed the login flags for naughty words. Figured it morphed into a login that you could keep.

Grim Reaper is probably the type of name you'd see 'already in use' message.

I hated when I'd try to get my name in there and get denied for a new site/game.

My original name was Drug on some MUDD back in '91, if that goes back far enough for you guys :) But, that name eventually gave way to Brutus over the years.

Popular belief is that TomKabs93 is named after Tomas Kaberle.. But it's really because:

His name is Tom, his last name begins with K (withheld for personal reasons) TOMKabs

In elementary school they would call him "Abs" because of his mighty 6 pack!! The one that Klima has when TK uses him!!.

:)

He happened to be a Leafs fan so he thought it would flow pretty nicely

Edited by PlabaxV2

great topic Brutus, i'm in the same boat as raph and xdeathsbloodx. Way back in the day when aol was big, I was finally able to get a screen name of my own. I couldn't think of one, so I just went with the breed of the new familly dog we got. He's a miniature pinscher aka minpin. the d just stands for dog.......or something profane if I happen to get some league wins on you :haha:

I've mostly used 'Total_Annihilation' over the last 7 years or so that I've been active on forums (predominantly those of my favorite heavy metal bands).

When I signed up here in 2009 to download a few SNES roms, I wanted to have a hockey theme to my username. However, I didn't really think long and hard about the name and simply started off with a tribute to my favorite NHL team, the Edmonton Oilers. As for 442, I simply tacked settled a tribute to Anthrax's 'Stomp 442' album.

Not a very creative username, but when I came back here in December of 2010 to start playing SNES online, I decided to continue to use Oilers442 to avoid any confusion and/or criss crossing with my forum name, AIM name, etc.

I started playing hockey when I was 6, in a little town called Northway, Alaska. My team was called the "Northway Natives", which was a motley crew of Athabascan native kids and my white self. We always played in sub-zero temperatures, and our games would only be called off if the temp dipped below -30F. Sometimes we'd even play into the -40's, since my dad was scorekeeper/temperature watcher and would warm up the thermometer under his coat once it got sub -30 so we could keep playing. I'll never forget the unholy burning sensation in my feet when taking off my skates in a warm shack after playing in that cold. It was hell at the time, but it sure made me tough.Those were the days...

I started playing NHL94 the year it came out, while I still lived in Northway. This game holds a ton of nostalgia for me, and when I found this site and had to make up a screenname, I thought it was only fitting that I pay tribute to the first team I ever played on.

Popular belief is that TomKabs93 is named after Tomas Kaberle.. But it's really because:

His name is Tom, his last name begins with K (withheld for personal reasons) TOMKabs

In elementary school they would call him "Abs" because of his mighty 6 pack!! The one that Klima has when TK uses him!!.

:)

He happened to be a Leafs fan so he thought it would flow pretty nicely

Something fishy about you,I don't believe ur a kid from africa

Well despite my ABYSMAL record in my first ever Classic season in Spring '13, Mr. Jagr was my main man back in my '94 Glory Daze when I cleaned house playing my old crew for hours on end. As I've told many new buds in various AIM conversations there was really nothing I wouldn't skip to play NHL '94 (some are seeing some old habits die hard as I'm known to take a break from my Big Boy job to play too).

I swear though back in the day, I'd walk down the staircase of the house I shared with friends determined to go to class (for once this week Jim, please!) and sure enough, someone would be playing '94, challenge me to see if I'd go to class knowing I wouldn't and off we'd go for the day till I needed to go to work, perhaps the only thing I didn't skip to play '94 as the job fueled all the extra-curriculars that enhanced the '94 experience (ahem). I was known to blow off dates with the fairer sex to play hockey, pretty much anything but work.

Anyway, we didn't know squat about the weight bug back then, Pittsburgh was team, Jagr my man and the bug sure didn't stop me from kicking most of my roomies' asses on a regular basis. So when I found the site (yippee!) I went with the guy who made it all worthwhile to me back in the day, "jagr68".

File under: "Dull name, moderately funny reason"...

My video game experience started with Pong so ya that's how old I am. I've always liked sports games & RPG's. From Champions of Krynn to Baldur's Gate to SWTOR. I always try to play an assassin of some sort.

Sicarius is Latin for Assassin. I added the Fulgur for SWTOR. Fulgur is Latin for Lightning. It makes since since my main in SWTOR was a Sith Assassin - which also has Lightning abilities.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle, and remember, if you can't be good, be good at it.

Edited by Sicarius

I think it was a name I made up for a custom player in NHL 95? Can't remember. That or it was a random name made up for ICQ, based on a name I made up for an NHL 95 player.

Basically everyone I know calls me Snyder (my last name), Schnyds, or Caveman (due to my fast growing facial hair). So I just stuck with Snyder.

• 1 month later...

I got Seano7302 from my nickname Seano (Comes from Sean, that's only my nickname at home though, at school it's Seany, or Seanothan (Like Jonathan)) The 7302 comes from my bday, 7/3/02.

I've been fortunate enough to use this nick on almost every website and forum I can. Drives me nuts on the sites that don't allow the "_" character... 33 is my lucky number, and you'll often find me drafting a player with the #33 near the end of a league draft.

Edited by jer_33

• 1 year later...

Well i have to quote on this. Simple story! The first game i played online was Call of Duty and i was lookin for a name. I wanted "Darkness" or "Darkside" but always taken!! So i took Darko and it worked!!! Like Donnie Darko too!!! The 99 is just in honour of the Great One!!