NHL'94 Forums

Creating a Draft Style League this Summer

Brutus

Ok, I'm not looking to do it now, as we have all the Classic leagues coming to a close & '93 as well, but I've been kicking around a few league ideas, and pretty sure I could handle running a league & having a website hosting stats, rosters & the likes. Best to start now so it'd be ready when other leagues end.

I'd love to get feed back from everyone to incorporate as many ideas as possible to ensure those of us who'd join, would want to keep playing! Here is what I have so far:

The league would differ based on these two concepts:

#1 Draft/Team Creation

The basic concept is take all the rankings from the GDL 10 previous drafts and average them out into some type of draft order, and maybe have a vote to re-rank a few guys if needed. Then, based on this 24 team league ranking, you can pick your spot and create your own draft that you would have picked based on players that would be available in snake order with those selections. Obviously, there will be duplicate players, and possible some duplicate combos as a result.

Now, there can be an unlimited amount of teams in the league, and once a week, or once every 2 weeks, the ROM gets updated based on any changes you've made to your lineups or lines.

This is the basic setup for the league that I think would be cool, because your team can be tweaked during the season, and enables replay-ability for everyone as they adjust to set a team up to their style & liking!!

#2 Standings/Scoring

My idea would be to enable AS MUCH playing for those who want to play as often as they'd like without eliminating some of the top tier guys from participating without holding a league hostage to their limited motivation/availability.

The best idea building in my mind is to have every player given a weight or point system a victory against them is valued at, and the point attributed in the standings is some combo off of your weight & your opponents weight. There still would exist a win-loss record, and you'd have to be in the top 3/4 of the leagues games played to have your team's & players displayed in the stats section. An obvious emphasis would be on the PER GAME stats.

#3 SCHEDULE???!?!?

This part I struggle with the most, as if not done right, it could ruin the weighted points standing idea. I'm mentally thinking you'd have a schedule that limits how many games you can play against one guy to prevent 2 guys from just pushing each other up the points standings.. Also, instead of replacement coaches, you'd just add new teams on the weekly updates to the league, and they'd start from zero points. In the end, in almost EVERY league, the active guys make the playoffs and best players win the playoffs.

Perhaps unlimited games but some combo of your scoring % against certain tiers would be a way to THEN have a playoffs, with perhaps an A & B playoffs being created if enough teams are joined, instead of just one playoff.

#4 Mid Season Robin Tournament started based on standing mid-season. Tournaments are the most fun, and make for a good mid-season connector from "draft day" to the playoffs The lull in mid-season can kill a league or slow it down.

WEBSITE IDEAS:

Displays all teams, a logo, current roster(s), line(s), with ability to edit lines on site for changing into ROM,

Displays players in rankings for drafting, along with the ability to sort by rating.

Displays standings, tournament page, history of tournaments, stats section.

Coach stats, vs each coach, vs weight, tournament record, best scorer, worst nightmare (dude who scores the most on them).

Would love, not sure if I can get done:

Custom logos that are on site & imported to ROM.

Create a team section where as you draft a player, all unavailable players (players ranked ahead of your next pick) disappear, until your roster is completed and then saved, or can be exported to your desktop to upload later.

As you move mouse over a team roster in standings section, top scorer pops up, or whatever cool s**t fits in a small popup box.

Please, those who are interested in playing in something like this, go ahead and comment, and feel free to highlight & point out the likes & dislikes, or upgrades you'd add to it.

I played in a draft league of Tecmo Super Bowl years back. It was pretty cool initially, but people stopped playing after about week 3 (of the season. meaning 3 games played). Considering how difficult it is to get people to play when your entire team is already made, I think this might be difficult.

I think it'd be best to get a random teams tourney going. Something that could happen in a weekend.

I think I've seen plenty of guys around to play hockey, and doubt at least 10 guys would not want to join for certain, at least enough to keep a league running.

Smaller demand would eliminate the need for a weighted points standing. I think half the reason I'm wanting to set up a league post classic is because there are soo many of us who complain about being stuck trying to schedule with a handful of the NO SHOWS!

Some good tournaments would be a great idea irregardless. I think the issue of some guys play during different times could bog down a tournament, so if you had it set up to 'time zone' tournaments, that'd make it all the easier, or have multiple tourneys running at all times.

Something that takes time zones into effect would be good in setting up league schedules also, imo, more importantly than ranking imo.

Gonna have to look into a "tournament style" website also that saves player & user stats, records vs, tourneys won, etc.

I am interested in playing in any tournament format that ends up getting set up. Thanks for throwing this out there.

• 2 weeks later...

IN, please include me in any league set up this summer. Had a great time in the spring ( regardless of record), I guarantee improvement from here on out. Bring it bro!!

Been working on this in my mind for both ideas (LEAGUE & TOURNEY). I'll focus on tourney first, because demand is greater and the NOW is there. Best part of tourney is you can use any rom, including 2v2's.

I'm thinking of seeing through my nerds what cost to setup a tourney site would be. Ideally, you want a create tourney option with limited open quantity available to anyone with admin delete rights. Too many tourneys running would diminish the value of open tourneys & titles for winning them.

Then, teams can be populated in & claimed by individual owners similar to a login style link where you upload a game, except you claim that tourney slot. Creator of the tourney sets a forfeit for no-show options for those MIA players, with over-ride options to have Admin/creator pick who goes through on forfeit, if any.

Combined stats w/ the possibility of importing stats from other leagues/sites for any league sites is something we should all hope for, but to start, I'd be looking to keep stats for all stats available and make them as sortable as you like.

And lastly, a weekly or bi-weekly official tourney that requires sign-up and ranking(s) to determine slots & teams, and that would be under the title section of the home page type thing.

For league, the running idea I get in my mind would be a weekly, bi-weekly or tri-weekly availability to a new updated ROM (unsure on how often to set this time frame at). Since each guy can change his drafted team during those periods based on the draft ranking setup, you also have to make yourself available to play or not play for that period, and commit to X number of games or being permanently dropped IF YOU RE-UP. Obviously, you have s**t to do that week, so you sit one out.

So, the standings might have 50-100 guys with records, but each period can only have as many teams as fit on a ROM, with their new set rosters. Obviously, you have to re-up each period, with rankings based on games played to be dropped for the next upcoming series. Failure to play enough games gets you dropped, and schedules re-populate each period.

Extra work for guys running the league, but I think it makes the league worth playing.

All kind of options come in to play, like elite players jumping in for a period, leaving for 2, returning, etc, and in the end, a large tourney based on your overall rankings, with stats & awards based on overall stats. Still playing with the idea of weighted wins & some of the other plans, but I think if you have guys coming & going from the ROM, the weighted win might not work.

Definitely like the original formula of drafting your team based on a pre-set ranking, a draft creator being design in site, and the ability of a league to continue to play large number of games on a weekly basis without some MIA owners holding a league hostage.

I have to read what you wrote a bunch of times because I can't quite follow, but it seems like you have some good ideas thought out.

50-100 guys is a lot...that's pretty much more than the active community. Good luck, hope to see this come to life.

The goal would be say 20 guys, but if 5 dropped off for a few periods, and 10 joined in Round 2, that puts you at 30 with 25 playing that Round. Over the course of time, I think committing to short periods where you can go in & out based on your availability without a A, B1 & B2 could push the numbers up of considered active for total standings, with only have a real number closer to 20 ROM users on average.

I think that's realistic based on comments from guys.

The weirdest part is verbalizing the draft idea.

GDL has long record of draft positions for all the players based on classic rankings,and these rankings could be tweaked if needed for average draft position. If you were to go back into a draft, and insert your team in any chosen draft position with no trades allowed, what kind of team would you want to assemble using reverse order draft.

So, you could play with it to use #1 pick Round 1, #24 pick Round 2, etc, or start from the 8th slot, or anything of the sorts.

Obviously, you are going to have multiple teams with the some of the same players, but odds are, you won't have any duplicate teams, given all the combo options and different styles.

It's hard to get guys to play in the summer. Most people are out enjoying the weather, going on vacation, visiting family, etc. One time Blitz league ran in the summer and it was not successful and restarted late August, I believe.

It sound like you have a good idea though. Just see if you can get enough guys to commit before putting all the work in to create it.

As far as site costs, you can run it pretty cheaply on AWS or (like I did with Sea-Hag) run it on the lowest settings on Heroku for free. it's not good for a bunch of people saving games at once, but otherwise it runs fine.

Peubex comes on my AIM, starts spamming the hell out of me because I've apparently embarrassed him on his forums, and then starts saying I don't have heart.

Then he won't phuck off per my request.

Then he starts trying to say I need his help, so I tell him I don't want to talk to him. He laughs at me for stating I'll pay for websites, like I'm some loser.

I explain to him I probably make more a year than he will in 10 years given his maturity & beatoff ways, and he goes all goofy stating I said I make more websites than him.

I've asked him to phuck off, go away, beatoff on someone else, and he insists on continuing, so I block him.

He begs me not to, cause he wants to "help". Who the phuck wants his help???

This kid is a beatoff.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I was trying to ask if you were mad about Dickon :

San Antonibax (1:23:24 PM): umad?

Brutus Khan (1:23:30 PM): no

San Antonibax (1:23:35 PM): why

Brutus Khan (1:23:55 PM): it's just a game

Brutus Khan (1:23:58 PM): don't really get "mad"

Then:

San Antonibax (1:24:06 PM): thats cuz you dont win

San Antonibax (1:24:22 PM): last yr when I sucked in GENS C i didn't care

Brutus Khan (1:24:29 PM): mad i lost?

San Antonibax (1:24:41 PM): you gotta play with heart

Brutus Khan (1:24:46 PM): your gay

Then you started getting mad about some playoff series that I had NO IDEA that you have played, I confirmed it and then :

San Antonibax (1:29:28 PM): o you already lost?

San Antonibax (1:29:31 PM): i didnt know

Brutus Khan (1:29:35 PM): can't claim someone doesn't have heart cause they lost

Brutus Khan (1:29:36 PM): just gay

Brutus Khan (1:29:37 PM): gay

Brutus Khan (1:29:38 PM): ga

San Antonibax (1:29:41 PM): i didnt know you lost

Brutus Khan (1:29:54 PM): i don't know what you are saying, to be honest

Here is when I actually decided to have a little fun :

San Antonibax (1:30:08 PM): i was here to ask you about ur website

Brutus Khan (1:30:16 PM): you asked me if i was mad

Brutus Khan (1:30:22 PM): then inferred i didn't have heart

Brutus Khan (1:30:26 PM): not about my website

San Antonibax (1:30:27 PM): No.. isnt your first name Umad?

Brutus Khan (1:30:42 PM): no

San Antonibax (1:30:42 PM): I can remember someone telling me that

San Antonibax (1:30:43 PM): o

Brutus Khan (1:30:47 PM): it's Doug

San Antonibax (1:30:49 PM): I thought it was Umad Johnson

You called me dumb:

Brutus Khan (1:30:55 PM):is your's Udumb?

I replied with:

San Antonibax (1:31:13 PM):im not the one paying others to make simple websites

Then:

Brutus Khan (1:32:04 PM):i make $350k/yr

Brutus Khan (1:32:09 PM):so f**k off

Brutus Khan (1:32:21 PM): i don't make money off websites douchebag

San Antonibax (1:32:26 PM): I'm not saying you do

Brutus Khan (1:32:27 PM): i'm done talking to you

Brutus Khan (1:32:30 PM): go away

I was trying to explain to you that I asked if you were mad so that if you weren't mad at me, we could talk about the website..

Brutus Khan (1:34:06 PM): i'm blocking you

San Antonibax (1:34:10 PM): I'm here to help with your website

San Antonibax (1:34:11 PM): srsly

San Antonibax (1:34:12 PM): dont block

San Antonibax (1:34:16 PM): I was gonna ask some questions

Brutus Khan (1:34:18 PM): seriously,

Brutus Khan (1:34:24 PM): i doubt i ever want to talk to you again

San Antonibax (1:34:26 PM): why aer yoy acting like a little girl

San Antonibax (1:34:28 PM): seriously stop

Brutus Khan (1:34:33 PM): you beyond aggrevate me w/ your stupidity

San Antonibax (1:34:35 PM): why

You refused to listen:

Brutus Khan (1:37:37 PM): how do you block someone...argh

San Antonibax (1:37:38 PM): but i came

San Antonibax (1:37:42 PM): actually about ur website

Brutus Khan (1:37:52 PM): dude, i can't take you today

San Antonibax (1:37:55 PM): why? Brutus Khan (1:37:55 PM): you are a spazz

San Antonibax (1:37:59 PM): I am here to help you lol

San Antonibax (1:38:02 PM): I have a new website set up

San Antonibax (1:38:08 PM): waiting for you

San Antonibax (1:38:13 PM): I have a link and everything if you want

I had a website link and everything ready for you, but you don't want to listen. Oh well.

Edited by PlabaxV2

I knew this was coming....the edited version by Peubex.

Gotta figure a 15 yr old would try to copy & paste an AIM conversation to try to put on some forum to make himself not like the babbling baby he is.

You are missing the 100 spams in between & all his stupid comments, and the 1000 NOW NOW NOW NOW comments you kept sending.

You kept demanding this, demanding that, etc.

You are missing how many times I told you to phuck off, go away, and you kept saying no. I told you to go away like 20 times.

You are missing all the conversations I told you I don't like you, don't want to talk to you, that you are a stupid little BEATOFF!!! How many times can you call someone a BEATOFF before they get the picture???

And you kept pressing me about money after I said I would be fine to pay someone to work for me rather than spend the time to do it myself. That's when I told you what I made. It's only relevant because for me, time is worth more than some amount of money I might spend on hiring someone to do something for me. You didn't seem to grasp that concept. Seemed offended I wouldn't do it myself.

ALL THIS DONE with REPEATED REPEATED attempts to you to PHUCK OFF & SPAM someone else.

So, why are you even posting this??

Oh yeah, you are a gay, 15 yr old BEATOFF who ran out of zits to pop.

I knew this was coming....the edited version by Peubex.

Gotta figure a 15 yr old would try to copy & paste an AIM conversation to try to put on some forum to make himself not like the babbling baby he is.

You are missing the 100 spams in between & all his stupid comments, and the 1000 NOW NOW NOW NOW comments you kept sending.

You kept demanding this, demanding that, etc.

You are missing how many times I told you to phuck off, go away, and you kept saying no. I told you to go away like 20 times.

You are missing all the conversations I told you I don't like you, don't want to talk to you, that you are a stupid little BEATOFF!!! How many times can you call someone a BEATOFF before they get the picture???

And you kept pressing me about money after I said I would be fine to pay someone to work for me rather than spend the time to do it myself. That's when I told you what I made. It's only relevant because for me, time is worth more than some amount of money I might spend on hiring someone to do something for me. You didn't seem to grasp that concept. Seemed offended I wouldn't do it myself.

ALL THIS DONE with REPEATED REPEATED attempts to you to PHUCK OFF & SPAM someone else.

So, why are you even posting this??

Oh yeah, you are a gay, 15 yr old BEATOFF who ran out of zits to pop.

What are you saying? I clearly misunderstood it, I said you have to pay others to make websites, you said you make more in 1 year than I do in 10.

So I thought you were talking about websites, So I asked to see some of your websites and you started calling me a "beatoff"

Then I asked you why I was a "beatoff", and I would leave you alone once you gave me an answer, and you replied with :

San Antonibax (1:35:10 PM):

i want an answer

San Antonibax (1:35:13 PM): then ill leave you alone

Brutus Khan (1:35:16 PM): not getting one

San Antonibax (1:35:22 PM): because you know you have no reason

Then you finally told me it was because I "spammed" your AIM because I wanted to see your websites. And because I came on "Your" forums blasting dickon.

Brutus Khan (1:36:52 PM): you should have not been on my forum blasting dickon

San Antonibax (1:36:57 PM): your forum?

Then you blocked me.

Sorry I didn't know you made 350 000 000 000 000 000 dollars a year. I was trying to help you save money so you don't have to pay those "Nerdy Indians" you usually pay.

Edited by PlabaxV2

Dude, I know you aren't going to stop just like in the AIM.

You are deleting the parts where you really, really would make anyone want to just beat the phuck out of you.

If you can't review all that spamming, and not see how big of a beatoff you are, you will probably just go through life as the beatoff you are.

I can't help you there. But as I stated, and I'm sure everyone else probably agrees, NO ONE cares.

Stop posting about it. Just phuck off. It's not that hard.

You quit on a game we were playing, you quit on a league. It's in your style. Now just quit bother this thread with your spam.

Dude, I know you aren't going to stop just like in the AIM.

You are deleting the parts where you really, really would make anyone want to just beat the phuck out of you.

If you can't review all that spamming, and not see how big of a beatoff you are, you will probably just go through life as the beatoff you are.

I can't help you there. But as I stated, and I'm sure everyone else probably agrees, NO ONE cares.

Stop posting about it. Just phuck off. It's not that hard.

You quit on a game we were playing, you quit on a league. It's in your style. Now just quit bother this thread with your spam.

I deleted two parts:

The two minutes of me asking to see your websites, I have already went over what happened.

and the part where I asked if you were sore from taking it in the ass from dickon.

Lololol quitting is in my style. I forgot the part where you said that you 100% understand why I quit!!!! Oops!

Edited by PlabaxV2