NHL'94 Forums

Is the sega cd verison anygood?

????????

the Sega CD version is very good. the PC version is great. either could be said to be better than the SNES version. both are much better than the rush job Genesis version. it's too bad that the worst version was the most accessible. everybody reading this should make an effort to try the less common versions.

Edited by trudatman

the Sega CD version is very good. the PC version is great. either could be said to be better than the SNES version. both are much better than the rush job Genesis version. it's too bad that the worst version was the most accessible. everybody reading this should make an effort to try the less common versions.

What are the differences between the sega cd verison and the genesis verison???

The game looks exactly the same. The in game sounds are awesome, you might spend a whole period passing the puck into the boards just because the sound effects sound so good. It's also much harder to cheese out the goalie, so the final scores are usually lower

try all of the versions. give each at least three games.

• 7 months later...

This is a bit old hat but the SCD version has better framerate which does effect gameplay overall in my opinion. Your getting something like 8-15fps on the cart versions and 30fps on the SCD, it does make for smoother gameplay. The SNES version while it looks the best is actually even worse.

• Like 1

This is a bit old hat but the SCD version has better framerate which does effect gameplay overall in my opinion. Your getting something like 8-15fps on the cart versions and 30fps on the SCD, it does make for smoother gameplay. The SNES version while it looks the best is actually even worse.

The genesis version is 30fps (60 on an emulator)..

I grew up with the sega CD version and it's probably my favorite overall on the actual system. I prefer SNES online.

Anyway, yeah I think it's harder to score on the SCD version compared to regular Genesis. If you have it laying around, give it a go!

I've never played the Sega CD version before. The farthest I got was the intro song, which was awesome by the way.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but is it possible to play the 94 Sega CD version online like we do with ZSNES/Gens?

I don't know if you can play the CD version online, but I don't see why not?

When I was a kid the CD version was my favourite because we saw it as the "defifinitive version" with the CD sounds & little extras etc. The goalies were a little harder to score on I think.

Having played it again on an emulator as an adult a few years back I have to say I prefer the cartridge version. It plays quicker, although maybe the speed was due to playing on European tvs as a kid, & the sound affects are more natural. On the CD game there's a pause before a sound effect starts & because its a recording of a real sound it just seems a little fake to me. In the cartridge version the sounds are "part of thegame" rather than feeling inserted in.

Cartridge version for me!

• 3 years later...

For me, the CD version plays exactly the same as the cartridge.  It does not seem harder to score.  I do not notice the frame rate differences.  The sound is way better and was super cool to play for the first time after playing the cartridge version for 20 odd years.  The extra video is hilariously terrible.  Ron Barr has a great intro for every game now with cool audio.  Was just a little harder to set up on the emulator, but totally worth it!  Showed my brother and he wasn't impressed with the difference though, lol

• 8 months later...

For those who say, it's harder to score on NHL 94 CD, well. I played 2 games, one on the Cart 94 and the other, the SGCD version. To me, it was an easier game to win. Same 2 teams, sames settings and same line up. This, on my android emulator. Here's 2 pics, scored 4 goals with the Rangers against VAN.

Screenshot_2018-07-30-20-00-43.png

Screenshot_2018-07-30-20-10-45.png