NHL'94 Forums

Why NHL94..?

LandStalker

From the SNES side of things (and probably true on GENS as well), I think it's because NHL 94 simply plays better than the versions that came after it. The overall speed of the game feels more correct...not too fast, not too slow. This can be applied to the speed of the players, the speed of passes, how fast slapshots and one timers are, etc. The checks and hits that you can make on NHL 94 simply feel more satisfying. Like when you lay out someone with Dave Manson or Scott Stevens and the check is just extremely devastating or violent, you either laugh out loud or at least smile. On later versions of the game, these same hits don't feel even remotely as deadly.

There are other reasons as well, but these are the ones that first come to my mind on why I play NHL 94 instead of later versions :)

For me it is 92, 93, and 94. Which all look and play very similar.

The graphics are classic much like Tecmo Super Bowl.

Even as the games progressed to PS1 and then PS2 and now PS3 to look more "real" the classic look of the sprites during this era is the most appealing to me. I remember on the PS1 the real looking players were like boxes. The guys on the PS3 freak me out.

Plus everything Oilers said.

Not only did they change from a speed that felt "right" to super turbo they destroyed the graphics.

Can you imagine if they had just stuck with the great thing they had, but added season mode in 95. Put fighting back in in 96 and added level of difficulty to make the computer more challenging.

Lastly is simplicity. The controls everything was easy to pick up and play.

Mac is right. NHL94 is on the original NHL engine that housed NHL, NHLPA93, and NHL94. These games have good graphics, sound, gameplay and decent frame rate.

The newer nhl games have horrible choppy low frame rate, turbo boost speed (possibly to disguise the lower FPS), and just overall lack good game play.

NHL lacks manual goalie, but has simplified fighting, NHLPA93 best graphics and music, but you can score at will, NHL94 has no fighting, but makes up for it with manual goalie.

With Madden and NHL, a large number of people discover the series only after it has become popular and start with the second(madden92/nhlpa93) or third (madden93/nhl94) installment of the game.

In the end it comes down to quality game play , and the original NHL trilogy is high quality.

According to this, NHL 94 is popular "due to its awesomely horrible and hysterical graphics".

http://nesn.com/2013/05/nhl-14-uses-nhl-94-graphics-to-pick-between-sergei-bobrovsky-martin-brodeur-for-this-years-game-video/

Edited by Bob Kudelski

I can't watch the video from where I am... does it use the Clockwise ROM?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't watch the video from where I am... does it use the Clockwise ROM?

Did you seriously not see that video!? It's current live action NHL Hockey with SNES NHL '94 Score overlays, sound effects and organs. OMG! Gonna watch it for the 10th time!