NHL'94 Forums

Lobbying for Fall Classic Changes (Gens)

Uncle Seth

We all have our own opinions about what we like/dislike about a league format and rules. Personally, I think penalties are dumb and frustrating simply because most of the time the infraction is committed by the computer. Hard hits result in penalties, boooooooo! Oftentimes I can hold an opposing player for 5 seconds and rarely get called. Or ram the goalie all day with no call. Most of all though, my gripe is that penalties really slow down the game due to the obvious stoppage in play, plus any line-up changes that may be warranted for those 2 minutes. Then when the penalty is over, you have to switch back to the player you had in the position in the first place.

I believe it is mostly luck who gets penalties and who doesn't. That bothers me in a game like 94, in which almost everything is controllable by you. It can be a tight game all the way till the end, then your own players (controlled by the computer) take penalties behind the play that result in a 5-3 for the last 2 minutes of the game. Takes the fun out of it if you're the guy getting called, and it really isn't fair if your manual controlled player didn't commit the act. And who the hell played w/penalties as a kid? 5% of us? Am I alone in wishing the classic league had penalties completely off? Ok, I had to rant.

PS, there should be a vote/poll on stuff like this.

Edited by Uncle Seth

I'm a B checker. When pims are off, the B check is significantly reduced which makes the weight bug that much more prevalent.

Personally i like pims on. It all evens out in long run and shorties especially SH2 ate pretty sweet to get.

I'm a B checker. When pims are off, the B check is significantly reduced which makes the weight bug that much more prevalent.

Personally i like pims on. It all evens out in long run and shorties especially SH2 ate pretty sweet to get.

That's it lol! When there are no penalties you cannot B check. I have been trying to tell TomKabs sometimes I cannot B check.... Me and Seth play with no penalties! And when I play the AI I don't either. Makes sense now hehe I was wondering why I couldn't B check.. I went through 2 games without getting a single B check

Edited by PlabaxV2

No B check with penalties off? I never knew that either! What a revelation.

This would be an awesome hack to apply to Blitz or WBF ROM. B checking sucks, it'd be great to identify what nullifies B check with penalties off and apply that to penalties on, if possible.

On another note, the only person I've ever seen edit lines more than hokkee is Seth. And it's not even close, lol.

I vote penalties on.

just curious, is there a certain skill level you should/need to be at to play in the gens league

Any level. All new guys are placed in a C league, or mixed B league (like we did this past season, which I believe worked well).

Any level. All new guys are placed in a C league, or mixed B league (like we did this past season, which I believe worked well).

some new players expressed that they were pissed being stuck getting rapons from vets... and my guess is a lot of them are the ones that went missing after 10 games.

Yaa.. seth is the worst at that... he can be down or up 5 goals, but if his winger takes a penalty with 20 secs left in game he has to sub someone in & change lines around

Edited by Wittgenstein

I did not know about that.

some new players expressed that they were pissed being stuck getting rapons from vets... and my guess is a lot of them are the ones that went missing after 10 games.

Yaa.. seth is the worst at that... he can be down or up 5 goals, but if his winger takes a penalty with 20 secs left in game he has to sub someone in & change lines around

I have OCD!

Btw, Carse does it waaaaaaaaaay more than me, and even if they're isn't a penalty being called. Carse takes the cake. Or I think he likes to be called Le Carse.

I think it did work well bud.

does having penalties on or off really do something to the ability to use the stick check? I can't imagine how that makes any sense.

does having penalties on or off really do something to the ability to use the stick check? I can't imagine how that makes any sense.

@trolldatman wait bug doesn't make any sense either, but it's real. That is 94: a complex world always waiting 4 new discoveries... it's basically the World of warcraft of nhl video games

Edited by Wittgenstein

Wow, no B check with penalties off? What a weird one. What on earth would cause that?!

I personally hate the penalties. They're not consistent. The programming on why a penalty might be called seems totally random. You can play as dirty as you like & you won't take more penalties than trying to keep it clean. On top of that the AI is just dumb. You could be comfortable & winning by a goal in the 3rd, or 1 down on a come back with all the momentum and all of a sudden the idiots on your team start taking penalties costing you the game. It's so ridiculous because there's just no realistic, sensible reason for it, apart from what seems to be the AI trying to f#*% with the outcome. How often in real life, in a situation where everything's going well, you're on top & in control would your players start committing off the puck penalties to sabotage your chances? Just silly.

Thing is, how can you take the B check away from people?

Penalties have to stay i'm afraid :(

I don't remember who I was playing this season, but I had a delayed penalty call and while my goalie was going to hop over the bench for the extra attacker, a guy on the other team hit him and the guy got called for interference.

Guest goursie19

k thanks, when do I have to put a team in by?

:shocked:

Wow within 30 mins of Seth's rant posting, Ice calmly lays down that crazy law. Honestly that is genius man lol thank you, how did you figure that out? Like plabax said, it explains everything. His ranting about how he can't B check Seth or AI. Now I understand why Seth was starting to win more games last few times I played him, because he insisted on penalties off. I'm like ice I'm a B checker, I need it. Penalties have to stay on or the art of the B check is lost, and the game loses competitive value. Not to mention penalties add a nice flavour to the game to shake things up.

B checking sucks

On another note, the only person I've ever seen edit lines more than hokkee is Seth. And it's not even close, lol.

Hahaha yeah exactly what I was thinking, the guy who edits his constantly stacked detroit lines every whistle complains about game slowness. B checking does not suck though lol, you deserve the knockdown if you can get within the close proximity and lineup a guy correctly, it's great for balance

B checking does not suck though lol, you deserve the knockdown if you can get within the close proximity and lineup a guy correctly, it's great for balance

It's still a skill and everyone at a high level uses the B check. In Classic and GDL I don't mind it as much because it does become an equalizer for the weight bug. But it's pretty lame for a weight bug fixed ROM.

It's still a skill and everyone at a high level uses the B check. In Classic and GDL I don't mind it as much because it does become an equalizer for the weight bug. But it's pretty lame for a weight bug fixed ROM.

I see what you're saying but C checking fests are the worst! Thats why I suck so much in Dynasty.

I don't think this happens in The Superior Version™ of SNES.

SNES is just a Body checking fest. It's so gay lol. With Dallas I think my guys had a 100% chance of falling from every check. GENS should have 16 teams and SNES should have 12 because with the cheesy teams like Boston/Pittsburgh in SNES it's no fun.

Newby here.

Had great time in Gen B Spring League..looking forward to the fall.

Why would you take penalities out of a hockey game?

Who are we Gary Betman trying to eliminate fighting?

It makes the game more interesting let it ride.

The league is working well.

SNES is just a Body checking fest. It's so gay lol. With Dallas I think my guys had a 100% chance of falling from every check. GENS should have 16 teams and SNES should have 12 because with the cheesy teams like Boston/Pittsburgh in SNES it's no fun.

You should try the juiced rom on SNES (http://www.sea-hag.net/snes/getting-started/ -- listed on there in a zip). The weights still affect things, obviously, but it's a much more realistic game if you're into that.

I kind of like the cheesy teams in SNES because of how satisfying it is when you do beat them. That said, Lemieux is a thing of nightmares in it.

If you're 100% sure it actually negates/decreases the effect of B-checking, then I understand not wanting to ever remove penalties.

I want to know, how the F did you figure that out Ice?

Edited by Uncle Seth

Wow, no B check with penalties off? What a weird one. What on earth would cause that?!

I personally hate the penalties. They're not consistent. The programming on why a penalty might be called seems totally random. You can play as dirty as you like & you won't take more penalties than trying to keep it clean. On top of that the AI is just dumb. You could be comfortable & winning by a goal in the 3rd, or 1 down on a come back with all the momentum and all of a sudden the idiots on your team start taking penalties costing you the game. It's so ridiculous because there's just no realistic, sensible reason for it, apart from what seems to be the AI trying to f#*% with the outcome. How often in real life, in a situation where everything's going well, you're on top & in control would your players start committing off the puck penalties to sabotage your chances? Just silly.

Thing is, how can you take the B check away from people?

Penalties have to stay i'm afraid :(

I agree with everything you said. Even the last sentence unfortunately.

Edited by Uncle Seth