NHL'94 Forums

Goaltender Defensive Awareness

JF@^

Thought this was interesting..

It appears that the Goaltender Defensive Awareness Rating in NHL 94 (Gens) relates to a Goaltender's Save % from the 92 - 93 season.

Leading the league that year was Curtis Joseph with .911 SV% (99 Rating) followed by Felix Potvin, .910 and Ed Belfour, .906 also posting 99 Ratings.

Barrasso. Vanbiesbrouck, Puppa, Hasek, Roy, Fuhr, Essensa, Blue, Soderstrom & Whitmore all post SV % from .890 - 901 and receive an 81 - 98 Rating.

The trend continues: Cheveldae, Healy, Reese, Vernon, Hextall and others posting from .885 - .889 SV% received an 63 - 80 Rating.

Ranford, Fiset, Hebert, Beaupre and others that posted in the range of .879 - .884 were given a 47 - 62 Rating and so on...

Will look a little deeper at Puck Control to see if maybe it relates to GAA next...

yeah, but does it actually do anything?

Awesome find! Here's the actual data below

What's interesting is that the data works, but there are two anomalies -- Patrick Roy (MTL) should have a 5 instead of 4 and Robb Stauber (LA) should have a 4 instead of 5. I wonder if an angry Kings fan handled this rating? :). Oh, and Tabaracci got hosed too.

yeah, but does it actually do anything?

I'm never quite sure what the goalie attributes do, BUT defensive awareness rating accounts for 26% of the goalie overall rating. Agility and puck control are also weighed the same. So those 3 attributes are 77% of a goalie's overall rating. For what its worth.

and speed is zero percent of the overall. goalie overall ratings are misleading at best.

Nice find, JF!

I did some number crunching a few years ago on Blitz league stats and there seemed to be no real effect of defensive awareness.. If I'm remembering it correctly...

• 2 months later...

If anything, I think a goalie's defensive awareness pertains to his reaction time and positioning. For example, if you allow the CPU to shoot wide open one-timers, your CPU goalie will make saves more often with the likes of Belfour than he would with the likes of Hebert. In other words, the goalies with the best defensive awareness ratings are probably the ones that are the best at tracking the puck in NHL '94. If your goalie has a low defensive awareness rating, then your need for manual goalie is likely much greater.

If the guy shooting the one-timer is Brett Hull, then it probably doesn't make much difference who your goalie is. A guy with 99 shot power is going to blast the puck pust just about any goalie. But if you have one of those "oh crap!" moments where you failed to get manual control for the one-timer, I found that the likes of Belfour make more saves as a CPU goalie than other goalies.

Edited by TruePensFan1981