NHL'94 Forums

goaltender speed and agility

trudatman

so... most of us know that goalie speed isn't calculated into the overall rating, but I don't think it does anything. Leighton sucks, so I have him rated as a 35 overall, based on his 0.808 over two games this past season. I figured I needed to make him at least almost serviceable (he's not usually that bad) and not an extremely obvious scrub, so I gave him a decent speed rating. his agility is a 35. he is CRAZY slow. therefore, I figure goalie speed is built into goalie agility or they don't have agility, just speed called agility. use the Columbus backup to see what I mean.

so... most of us know that goalie speed isn't calculated into the overall rating, but I don't think it does anything. Leighton sucks, so I have him rated as a 35 overall, based on his 0.808 over two games this past season. I figured I needed to make him at least almost serviceable (he's not usually that bad) and not an extremely obvious scrub, so I gave him a decent speed rating. his agility is a 35. he is CRAZY slow. therefore, I figure goalie speed is built into goalie agility or they don't have agility, just speed called agility. use the Columbus backup to see what I mean.

Are you talking to the crickets that play NinetyFlow?

hey, dickhole: do the rest of the site a favor and stop following me around like a little girl saying "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you, please don't kiss me gently on the lips!" ain't nobody got no time for that. I'm bringing up a real subject. contribute or stay in your Genesissy drama leagues.

You should have put : "Does Goalie Speed and Agility do Anything?"

If you want to post in a neutral hacking thread, it should be about both versions of NHL '94 and not about NinetyFlow.. This is not SNES exclusive.

"use the Columbus backup" - Most people who will view this thread will be Genesis players, we won't be able to use the "Columbus backup" and some won't even know what you are talking about. Not really contributing when 90% of the forums won't be able to agree with what you are saying :glare:

fine, use your hack where you have Leighton rated a- oh, right. test it however you want to test it; this is a statement about more than my game. it's not like I changed how the netminder ratings work. report back if it holds for the Genesis, Sega CD and PC versions, too. do more than just following me around with drama.

fine, use your hack where you have Leighton rated a- oh, right. test it however you want to test it; this is a statement about more than my game. it's not like I changed how the netminder ratings work. report back if it holds for the Genesis, Sega CD and PC versions, too. do more than just following me around with drama.

The instructions you gave were for those with your Rom, how can I test it however I want to??

you are a moron. are you done here?

my point exactly, kiddo.

nobody has anything of value to add?

Haha. Love the pic Bo.

To be fair it's probably an interesting topic to see how much the goalie speed rating affects his usefulness...................trouble is Trudatman, what Plabax has done to your thread here is what you do to other people's threads. I actually think he was being pretty childish, but then................well, like I said.

Can't see anything here but a taste of your own medicine. Annoying isn't it?

lies. I take my swipes in passing, but when there is actual content being generated, I participate. keep pushing that counterintelligence agenda, though. broad strokes....

This would would be nice to know. Most of the guys I talk to who are good with manual goalie look at weight as well. Pretty sure lighter goalies move quicker than heavy goalies.

If someone has time, best to test out the impact of weight, agility and speed on a goalie, trying to isolate each effect on the quickness of the goalie movement from side to side.

Haha. Love the pic Bo.

To be fair it's probably an interesting topic to see how much the goalie speed rating affects his usefulness...................trouble is Trudatman, what Plabax has done to your thread here is what you do to other people's threads. I actually think he was being pretty childish, but then................well, like I said.

Can't see anything here but a taste of your own medicine. Annoying isn't it?

+1

thanks for the respone, BuyoutCut93. thanks for going through with the effort of not adding to the discussion when you could have just clicked the "like" button.

lies. I take my swipes in passing, but when there is actual content being generated, I participate. keep pushing that counterintelligence agenda, though. broad strokes....

Lolololol after reading all the weight bug threads and Bo's threads I don't believe this

and what does that say about your reading comprehension? nothing good. did you have anything at all to add to this topic or are you going to continue to demonstrate your actual "value" to this community?

....Pretty sure lighter goalies move quicker than heavy goalies....

Leighton is a bit lighter than average/midrange. I would assume the heavier netminders are harder to move out of the crease through checking. I'd also be interested in an analysis of if weight contributes to interference calls.

Leighton is a bit lighter than average/midrange. I would assume the heavier netminders are harder to move out of the crease through checking. I'd also be interested in an analysis of if weight contributes to interference calls.

"Leighton" Who??

You are playing a butchered version of a butchered game (SNES 94) with your players like Chris Kelly at 100 overall and Malkin at 54 overall. The people you are talking to are NOT on the same page as you. Use classic 94 at least..

This would would be nice to know. Most of the guys I talk to who are good with manual goalie look at weight as well. Pretty sure lighter goalies move quicker than heavy goalies.

If someone has time, best to test out the impact of weight, agility and speed on a goalie, trying to isolate each effect on the quickness of the goalie movement from side to side.

Jon Casey seems quick to me. 2 Wgt, 4 Agi but 3 Spd. Then again, I rarely move my goalie around. But at least I'm not referencing that NinetyFlow stuff that nobody plays!

Oh dear, another school play ground session. A regular '94 forum event unfortunately. I always wonder what casual visitors must think when they come through here.

Anyway Trudatman, as for your quote above, you obviously forgot about Bo's highly commendable threads designed to discuss the positives & negatives of both versions in order to bring the two sides of the community together & get more people playing and appreciating both.......................& then every time he posted something you immediately hijacked it to bang on about how terrible the GENS version is! Please don't try to pretend you "participate" when there is "actual content" because it's just not true!

Like I said before, obviously both versions are excellent in their own ways, if they weren't there wouldn't be so many people playing them after 20 years.

Unfortunately you're just the '94 version of a "Death to the Genesis infidels" religious extremist.

"Leighton" Who?...Chris Kelly at 100 overall....Use classic 94 at least....NinetyFlow....nobody plays.

none of the Genesis chumps you clown around with play it, that's for sure. Kelly was 100 over a year ago. he was a superstar. this year he was a scrub and his overall reflected it. in the original game there was not enough variety in the goalie agility ratings to get a good enough feel for what a terrible goalie agility rating does. keep spouting your lies, though. just don't expect me to forget to call you out on them.

....you obviously forgot about Bo's highly commendable threads designed to discuss the positives & negatives of both versions in order to bring the two sides of the community together & get more people playing and appreciating both....& then every time he posted something you immediately hijacked it to bang on about how terrible the GENS version is! Please don't try to pretend you "participate" when there is "actual content" because it's just not true!...

I'm sorry you do (pretend to) not understand that I contribute and take potshots in a Marchand fashion. maybe you need to reread those threads. at least I don't Seguin it up by hitting the sports bar during the season's height and try to start fights with drunks to make myself feel better about turtling from the reality of being an on-ice pussy. keep passing me these weak lies and I'll keep slapping them through the glass boards, you poor excuses for agitators like Cooke and Subban. Edited by trudatman

Chris Kelly a superstar lolol. There are not too many superstars in classic 94 and only one of them are 100 overall

Your playing with some wack ratings lol what you are saying is unheard of to everyone else.

are you done, yet? how hard would it be for you to contribute to the topic at hand? by the way, for the year that I had Kelly at 100 overall, he had an incredible +33 rating and was scoring on 16.4% of his shots. let's keep making you look like the chump that you are, though. toss me another slow one, idiot.

are you done, yet? how hard would it be for you to contribute to the topic at hand? by the way, for the year that I had Kelly at 100 overall, he had an incredible +33 rating and was scoring on 16.4% of his shots. let's keep making you look like the chump that you are, though. toss me another slow one, idiot.

20 goals in 82 games is incredible, superstar status. +33 is incredible, especially considering that your favourite boy toy tyler seguin was an incredible +34 that season. The same "on-ice pussy" as you previously said.

It's ridiculous that you talk about contributing to the forums nonstop. 1558 posts of total bs, what a waste of time to read. The only thing you've ever contributed is a rom that is so wacked out that it has probably deterred way more people than it has helped keep around. I know I haven't contributed a ton to the forums substance-wise, but at least I'm not too scared to play after all these years like you. 1558 posts of poison lol. I shouldn't let it get to me but you are just so insanely annoying and all because you want to be.

pretty good post. I think your point was fairly well made, even if the facts end up getting in the way.

....+33 is incredible, especially considering that your favourite boy toy tyler seguin was an incredible +34 that season. The same "on-ice pussy" as you previously said....

he was a superstar in that season, too, yes.

....The only thing you've ever contributed is a rom that is so wacked out that it has probably deterred way more people than it has helped keep around....

well, that and a few other ROMs (including a Genesis one), lots of testing, hacking, helping others with their hacking, discussing how the ratings work and, of course, pointing out the lies of other members that can't seem to add any value to the community.

....I know I haven't contributed a ton to the forums substance-wise....

at least you can admit it.

....I'm not too scared to play after all these years like you....

oh, no! you figured me out. I don't play onlag because I am scared. of what, I'm not sure, but the fear is real. it's just so frightening! ha.

now that that is out of the way, does anybody have anything to add about the topic of goaltender speed, agility and weight?

• 2 weeks later...

After some quick tests with GENS, I'd say that all 3 (weight, agility, speed) have an effect on a goalie movement speed.

I used the GENS 2v2 ROM, which normalizes all goalies and then tinkered with the attributes, maxing one attribute and comparing to 0.

Agility has the most noticeable impact. The quickness and reaction time is greatly improved. It makes sense, as agility for forwards is considered to affect how quickly a player stops and turns, and their deking ability. For goalies, since the space in which they move is so small, the ability to stop and turn quickly is super important! Think of moving with a goalie side-to-side the same as a forwards stick movement. Higher agility, quicker reaction time and ability to move from one side to the other.

Speed has an effect, but not as great as agility because you are not trying to accelerate to top speed! You want to stop and move quickly in a small space. Think of Randy Wood (5 speed, 1 agility). He can fly up and down, but god help you if you need to turn. Now that I think about it, super high speed may be a hindrance, as you may gain too much speed and it will take a little longer to stop.

Weight is an overlay on all of these attributes. While lighter goalies will improve goalie movement, they are more susceptible to the ram technique.

All of this is my own opinion based on my little experiment, but I think it makes sense.

thank you for an insightful response. I very much appreciate your testing. it's nice to have a few folks that are willing to add actual content to our wonderful site. it really helps to balance out the nonsense.