NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 mode to be featured in NHL 14?

from the buds at joystiq...

When asked why this mode wasn't online-compatible, an EA representative
told Joystiq it was to recreate the social experience of playing
together with buddies on the same couch – like in the old games.

"With the NHL 94 Anniversary mode our goal
was to recreate the social experience that so many gamers had on the
couch next to their friends. This is the mode you play when friends come
over and you're up for some friendly old school hockey competition."

What a bunch of crap! Just admit you're cheap not making it online compatible!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I was hoping for a total retro game that you could play online. That would be huge, there is just too much of a learning curve for a lot of people to get the emulator going, hosting etc. Have tried to get my buds to play online but get the deer and the headlights stare when I start talking the technical stuff. It isn't that bad once you get used to it but the first few times are not fun.

I still think it is cool they did a retro mode, it isn't for us die hards, but for the casual nhl94 guys it may get them googling and hopefully they will wind up here on the NHL94 boards.

Guest goursie19

these videos are PISSING ME OFF. i cant believe how bad they fucked this up. cant say i expected any less from EgAy

I know, I wanted to enjoy a retro experience. not nhl 14 with blue ice and different music and horns. lazy bastards

That is *exactly* what the guy at the event told me when I bitched about it. Word for word, including "buddies" and "couch". I was like, come on man, all of my "buddies" live hundreds and thousands of miles away. I moved to New York, got married, have kids... you think me and my "buddies" ask our moms if we can hang out at each others' houses for a few hours? Who makes a game in 2013 without online play?

And the game play is poop by the way. Slapping NHL94 intro music at the beginning of a crappy hockey game doesn't make it NHL94 mode. I'm an idiot for even entertaining the idea that this wouldn't suck.

Sorry I missed kingraph, apparently only by a few minutes. If he'd been there maybe I could have gotten on his shoulders and punched the producer in the jaw.

from the buds at joystiq...

When asked why this mode wasn't online-compatible, an EA representative
told Joystiq it was to recreate the social experience of playing
together with buddies on the same couch – like in the old games.

Guest goursie19

That is *exactly* what the guy at the event told me when I bitched about it. Word for word, including "buddies" and "couch". I was like, come on man, all of my "buddies" live hundreds and thousands of miles away. I moved to New York, got married, have kids... you think me and my "buddies" ask our moms if we can hang out at each others' houses for a few hours? Who makes a game in 2013 without online play?

And the game play is poop by the way. Slapping NHL94 intro music at the beginning of a crappy hockey game doesn't make it NHL94 mode. I'm an idiot for even entertaining the idea that this wouldn't suck.

Sorry I missed kingraph, apparently only by a few minutes. If he'd been there maybe I could have gotten on his shoulders and punched the producer in the jaw.

you're not an idiot, I thought it would be decent too. until I saw the gameplay. they upped the price by 30$ for madden 14 too so i'm not even gonna touch a ea sports game this year

This anniversary mode may still be opened up to online play:

"However, based on user feedback, it is possible that we could see the NHL'94 mode opened up in new ways post-launch. No promises, but when I asked around, the window for that was not definitively closed"

http://www.gamesradar.com/6-reasons-why-nhl-14s-nhl-94-mode-awesomeand-1-why-it-isnt/

I also talked to Sean Ramjagsingh yesterday at the NHL Store in NYC and when I told him that we're pretty bummed that this anniversary mode isn't available for online play, he said, "well, we'll see what the user feedback is and if it's something that people want, it may be incorporated in the future".

Something like that. Definitely the same vibe this writer got from the article.

This anniversary mode may still be opened up to online play:

"However, based on user feedback, it is possible that we could see the NHL'94 mode opened up in new ways post-launch. No promises, but when I asked around, the window for that was not definitively closed"

http://www.gamesradar.com/6-reasons-why-nhl-14s-nhl-94-mode-awesomeand-1-why-it-isnt/

I also talked to Sean Ramjagsingh yesterday at the NHL Store in NYC and when I told him that we're pretty bummed that this anniversary mode isn't available for online play, he said, "well, we'll see what the user feedback is and if it's something that people want, it may be incorporated in the future".

Something like that. Definitely the same vibe this writer got from the article.

Great! Hopefully they will listen. Regardless of how bad the gameplay is, I will buy for that feature. Soon after I can post the schedule for the league of 10000 buds.

Bok and Cares...you guys in?

I still fail to see how this thing relates to '94. it actually seems much more like '95, to me. how much do they pay us to play this pile of poop?

Yeah I was hoping for a total retro game that you could play online. That would be huge, there is just too much of a learning curve for a lot of people to get the emulator going, hosting etc. Have tried to get my buds to play online but get the deer and the headlights stare when I start talking the technical stuff. It isn't that bad once you get used to it but the first few times are not fun.

no question..simpler is better. but any kind of gateway to get people to come here is great. so here's hoping they change their minds and add online for the new mode.

Ah man.....so no online gameplay for the ANNI '94 mode on launch day but it could be opened up later on.....laaaaaame. Is this going to be like character "unlocks" via capcom on there trademark fighting names?? It's in the game but we have to wait or pay to unlock it? This gives new meaning to EAs quote of "if it's in the game, it's in the game".....and they should add onto it "but now it's in the game....but you will just have to pay more to get "in the game""

What a bunch of poop....come on EA.....if you can rerelease NBA JAM onto XBLA and PSN....why not our beloved old skool hockey franchise?! Bring hockey back to where it once was.....FUN.

Guest goursie19

Great! Hopefully they will listen. Regardless of how bad the gameplay is, I will buy for that feature. Soon after I can post the schedule for the league of 10000 buds.

Bok and Cares...you guys in?

need help with the schedule (if they put online)?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anniversary mode was a disappointment. But interesting news for NHL14-gamers.

Classic NHL View is finally out for NHL14. Now you can make your own rosters easily.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-rosters/674851-nhlview-finally-out.html

I really want to see real NHL94-rosters in NHL14! Now it is possible

Maybe this guy does it?

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ea-sports-nhl-rosters/675190-nhl-14-historic-rosters.html

Or maybe someone else...

Edited by corky