NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94 mode to be featured in NHL 14?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah what a let down. They already had "94 controls" in nhl 11 and 12 and 13. This is just nhl 14 with crappy controls and cheesy effects, it will play nothing like 94. If you watch the video there is a turbo button too :(

They have to do it like NHL 06.. It didnt have the player names, but you could recognize the players by subtracting 10 from their jersey number.. So Roenick was number 17 and Bure was 0...

It was weight bug fixed and it was where I learned to play. I used to abuse number 2 and 98 on Boston (Oates and Neely) and the defensemen 67 (Bourque). It was always a good matchup against my brother who would use Detroit or Montreal.

Oh well.

EDIT: A fun joke, Coffey was Bonar and Fedorov was Penisson. When I was 11 i used to love that

Edited by PlabaxV2

....When I was 11....

last week?

“We did research throughout the year on where we wanted to go with this [Anniversary] mode, and people didn’t actually want to play NHL ’94. They wanted a different take on it that brought back great elements from NHL ’94, but wasn’t actually NHL ’94.”

What a load of s**t. No, EA, nobody wants to play a half-cocked version of NHL '94 that doesn't play or look anything like the original.

Looks like a BIG rink, lots of room, and I'd be surprised if it's not a 15 plus type setup if TURBO is an option as well.

More like a mix of NBA Jam, NHL '14 & some NHL 94 in there.

Still, if it were online & didn't desync, I'd play.

But, since It's not online, I'd have to talk my kids into playing, and I'm already losing to one 15 yr old. Don't think I could handle any more than that!

Yeah after seeing that newest clip on TSN.ca, this "94" mode actually looks like garbage, but with sweet blue ice. EA are pure marketing, nothing more.

Why didn't they put out a simple downloadable version for $15 of the real '94, even if you can't have real player names, just let us edit them. I'd pay $100 probably, especially if it had online play. They're just really dumb I guess?

Dear EA, my wallet thanks you...you have finally admitted you can't complete with your own 20 year old game! :rolleyes::dal_skater_hand_grab:

I hate myself because I really want to buy the game for no other reason than it says nhl94. Even though everything else seems to suck about it.

After watching the TSN video, it reminds me more of 3 on 3 NHL Arcade for Xbox. Just with NHL '94 stuff added in. I think I might buy it because it says nhl94, but I'm not impressed.

How hard is it for them to add the online play? Probably not at all. I think they should have had you be able to use 1 big superstar from each team's 94 roster.

After watching the TSN video, it reminds me more of 3 on 3 NHL Arcade for Xbox. Just with NHL '94 stuff added in. I think I might buy it because it says nhl94, but I'm not impressed.

How hard is it for them to add the online play? Probably not at all. I think they should have had you be able to use 1 big superstar from each team's 94 roster.

I love 3 on 3 NHL Arcade. It's a fun game....and they are online compatible!

yep. it totally seems like a case of one of those games that would sell better if they don't show what a steaming pile of feces it really is. they blew their cover with that atrocious video.

OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT WHILE I HUFF PAINT!!!

In other news, I'm getting about 7-10x the usual number of YouTube hits the last couple of days as a result of the 94 publicity, so there's quite a bit of interest in this announcement.

my game blog hits are up, too. does '14 come with paint?

I can understand that it would be difficult to get allll the 94 players into the game, but it might have been nice to just have put the word out that if people want to be in it, they just need to contact EA to get the signoff form... oh well. I guess it would have been weird to have partial rosters.

Just wanted to share this post from Fiddy over at operation sports forum (he's also a member of this forum). I think he took the words right out of my brain and posted them on EA's FB wall. He even started with 'ok, buds'....perfect.

"100% disappointed..

here is what i posted to them on their fb wall. ha!

"Ok, buds. This was a no screw up situation and yet you guys screwed it up.

Oh boy, an NHL 94 mode in NHL 14. Ok what? Um, well, we can already turn
off all the rules, boost checking, use NHL 94 controls. Now you just
made it easier for us to do so by making it a new mode? Jesus.

You guys couldn't give the hockey gaming nerds what they wanted? An
updated NHL 94 via XBLA? Graphic updated, cleaned up old school
graphics, rosters from the 13/14 season, versus games online (ranked and
unranked). Could then have one roster updated after the trade deadline,
even then update this next year with rosters via paid DLC.

All ya had to do was the above, yet we get a new mode in NHL 14 called NHL 94.. Jesus. H. Cripes!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Signed,

Disappointed Hockey Gamer"

if they replaced NHL 3 vs 3 with NHL 94 old school, with new rosters,
and a basic online head to head mode it would be hockey gaming bliss.

Just wanted to share this post from Fiddy over at operation sports forum (he's also a member of this forum). I think he took the words right out of my brain and posted them on EA's FB wall. He even started with 'ok, buds'....perfect.

"100% disappointed..

here is what i posted to them on their fb wall. ha!

"Ok, buds. This was a no screw up situation and yet you guys screwed it up.

Oh boy, an NHL 94 mode in NHL 14. Ok what? Um, well, we can already turn

off all the rules, boost checking, use NHL 94 controls. Now you just

made it easier for us to do so by making it a new mode? Jesus.

You guys couldn't give the hockey gaming nerds what they wanted? An

updated NHL 94 via XBLA? Graphic updated, cleaned up old school

graphics, rosters from the 13/14 season, versus games online (ranked and

unranked). Could then have one roster updated after the trade deadline,

even then update this next year with rosters via paid DLC.

All ya had to do was the above, yet we get a new mode in NHL 14 called NHL 94.. Jesus. H. Cripes!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Signed,

Disappointed Hockey Gamer"

if they replaced NHL 3 vs 3 with NHL 94 old school, with new rosters,

and a basic online head to head mode it would be hockey gaming bliss.

That's what i Think "!

Guest goursie19

it's alright for people like me who are just getting into the game but still it's a bit of a letdown. retro rosters and online would make it perfect

retro rosters

They're not able to do retro rosters because that would require tracking down all the old players and getting their permission to put them in the game. On the other hand, I don't see why they don't go ahead and try to get permission from as many players as possible anyway, and just put in fake names for the others. They should also be trying to get future permission from the current players, so you can go back in time and play the 2008 Penguins or whatever.

Guest goursie19

They're not able to do retro rosters because that would require tracking down all the old players and getting their permission to put them in the game. On the other hand, I don't see why they don't go ahead and try to get permission from as many players as possible anyway, and just put in fake names for the others. They should also be trying to get future permission from the current players, so you can go back in time and play the 2008 Penguins or whatever.

if it's authentic 94, then you would only need 180-10-15 (from the legends program). for the people you don't have permission for you just put a number and position (like in the older Madden games) and base their overall on how they played

Anyone in NYC tomorrow can try to play NHL'94 Anniversary Mode at the NHL Store:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news-updates-gameplay/article/nhl-94-in-new-york-city

EA SPORTS celebrates one of the most iconic entries in the NHL franchise with the inclusion of NHL 94 Anniversary Mode in NHL 14. The mode gives players a new way to get into old-school NHL action.

You can be one of the first to play NHL 94 Anniversary Mode at the NHL Powered by Reebok Store in Manhattan on July 17th. The first 50 people will receive a signed Martin Brodeur special edition retro NHL 14 cover. Attendees will also have a chance to win a signed Martin Brodeur jersey.

You can even win some EA SPORTS NHL retro swag or a signed Brodeur Jersey via Twitter. Just Tweet the NHL team @EASPORTSNHL with your most memorable NHL 94 moment, making sure to include the hashtag #NHL94isBack. If your Tweet is Retweeted you’ll automatically be entered for a chance to win.

The NHL team will be looking for #NHL94isBack tweets from 3:00pm ET on July 12th until 5:00pm PT on July 15th. If you are selected as a winner, you’ll be contacted within 24 hours after the event via DM, so please keep an eye on your inbox!

Event Details

What: NHL 94 Anniversary Mode Takes over New York

When: July 17th, 2013, 4:00-7:30pm Eastern Time

Where: NHL Powered by Reebok Store

1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Phone: 212-221-6375