NHL'94 Forums

how to download the GENS ROM?

chefsuperstar88

OK...here i am...fresh and new....but i cant figure out at all how to DL and get the game installed on my computer?? I click on the ROM and it asks me to either open or save it. It wont open properly with any of the programs I have....do i need a particular one?? Any help would surely be appreciated!

chef

you'll need a Genesis emulator. a ROM isn't a standalone game. it's a file that must be run on an emulator. read around this site... there are plenty of help topics that detail this stuff. good luck and welcome aboard.

Ok thanks TDM....I've been looking around and all I see is old posts from 2007 about emulators. If I need one of these to DL the game....I'd like to have the most current and properly functioning one as I definitely want to get into the game and the leagues on here. I am just looking for some info to guide me in the correct direction.....not just any direction. I'll keep looking around and searching on the forums and see what I can find.

let's see... a decent Genesis emulator is called Fusion. the "old" info is still probably relevant. there's a topic called "getting started." you'll have it all figured out soon. oh, and the Genesis players mostly use the ancient America Online chat application to contact each other, so you may want an account on that thing, assuming they still allow new accounts. outdated technology is the norm around here, so I don't suggest you try to focus on anything too new.

on the nhl94.com page go to the downloads section and download gens. should download as a zip, once you extract it open the gens application, click file, goto open rom and find you nhl94.bin file and you should be set!

let's see... a decent Genesis emulator is called Fusion. the "old" info is still probably relevant. there's a topic called "getting started." you'll have it all figured out soon. oh, and the Genesis players mostly use the ancient America Online chat application to contact each other, so you may want an account on that thing, assuming they still allow new accounts. outdated technology is the norm around here, so I don't suggest you try to focus on anything too new.

all onlag players use AIM. Fusion is a genesis emulator, but we use Gens for online play. Of course which type of emulator you have won't matter unless you're looking to play online.

on the nhl94.com page go to the downloads section and download gens. should download as a zip, once you extract it open the gens application, click file, goto open rom and find you nhl94.bin file and you should be set!

Ok so I don't need an emulator to DL the GENS file? All I know is when I click the GENS file it asks me to either open it or save it....and I'm not getting anywhere with that since I don't have a program available to open it with. Once I get it DLed I can get moving but right now I'm clueless.

Ok so I don't need an emulator to DL the GENS file? All I know is when I click the GENS file it asks me to either open it or save it....and I'm not getting anywhere with that since I don't have a program available to open it with. Once I get it DLed I can get moving but right now I'm clueless.

You need an emulator to play the GENS ROM. The emulator should be gens.exe, open that and then go to Open Rom, and find nhl94.bin

When you click the gens file you want to save it, save the file anywhere for your convenience. After the files download and save, unzip the folder, and open the gens.exe application.

a way to think of it is the "emulator" is the program that will serve as your sega genesis console (Gens), your "roms" are like your cartridge games which are .bin files. AIM me at kupucknhl94 if you have any questions.

Edited by kupuck19