NHL'94 Forums

Here comes a new challenger

Hey all,

Great site here. I'm looking to play some NHL'94 again after many years. I played innumerable basement tournaments growing up with family and friends, and it's still of my favorite games.

Does anyone want to play later on? Have to admit, I'm not very good, especially with a keyboard, even as a PC gamer. All I have right now is a DDR mat and a steering wheel, which would be an interesting way to play, so, yeah, I'm definately going to buy a retro-style gamepad. I'd like to hear some reccomendations if there is a type or style of gamepad that is more popular with the players here.

Edited by Doughnut Gohardski

I use my PS3 joystick(s) & the DS3 program to make it work with my laptop through the USB port.

Most say Xbox joystick plugs right into the USB port w/ no need for any program to manage it.

I know a bunch of guys got their hands on the old SEGA pad or the SNES pad, respective to their system of choice & use DS3 for that.

I'm too used to using my PS2/PS3 style joystick for the last 10 plus years & already owning one of the PS3 USB joysticks, I didn't go spend the extra money to find out if the SEGA pad was as good, better or worse.

Good luck with your games and welcome. I'm usually on late hours (past 11 pm central) & good for some exhibs if you are around, brutus.khan on AIM to see if I'm on, send me a message. I'm easy to get to play.

what is DS3?

I use a generic USB SNES controller and a generic USB Playstation controller. I have no issue getting them to work with SNES emulators, but NES and Genesis emulators don't recognize most of the directional controls on the Playstation-like one.

There's a thread on this, but I personally recommend using an authentic Genesis controller w/ a USB adapter. Especially if you've played the game on the console growing up.

I know of two adapters that work great:

Retrolink Adapter - http://tinyurl.com/ozab7ll - which appears to be sold out at Amazon at the moment. They were about $10 - $15 a few months ago, they work great. eBay may have them.

Retrozone Genesis USB Adapter - http://tinyurl.com/otqzxmp - the more expensive option at like $26-$27 when shipping is included. Also works great...been using this the last 3 years.

For Genesis controllers, I like the 6-button controller (not the one with turbo) and other people swear by the Sega Saturn original controller (BEWARE KNOCKOFFS!).

jer_33 has a nice thread on this too: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14716-6-button-controller-round-up/

good luck getting into a league, the waiting list is 10 people long

This is for GDL. You can play exhibitions ANYtime. And Fall Classic sign-ups will be late August/Early Sept. Everyone who signs up and is confirmed gets to play Classic. :)

Hey if you aren't good, want to play against the guy who lost 9-3 to the Senators (PlabaxV2) using the Bruins?

DS3 is software I run to make my PS3 joystick compatible with my laptop. Otherwise, I can't get the D-pad to work, as you noted, and have to use the analog sticks, which are smoother on the my thumbs, but you can't stop & cut as smooth. Google DS3 & be careful not to catch a virus downloading it.

I noticed that my skating around with center ice with the analog sticks to actually be a little better because it was "smoother", but the scoring aspect, where you need to be able to stop, and make across goalie cuts, avoid checks by stopping, etc, were way worse, so the end result for me is IF I can't use the D-pad controls on the PS3 joystick, I lose a lot more games.

Add me as well doughnut.....AIM handle is chefSTAR88. I am looking to play!!

I ordered a USB adapter as well.....just waiting on it. But from all the info on here I was able to DL the "better DS3" software and get my PS3 controller up and running on my computer. I tried it with the PS3 D pad and its AWFUL!! But the analog controls will suffice for now.