NHL'94 Forums

My Two Cents

Hello, my name is Chris. I am a 21 year old college student from suburban Philadelphia, and I have been a member of this site for almost exactly 6 years now. For all of those six years, I have been an occasional member of leagues and have commented on these forums occasionally as well. I feel that I have never been a major contributor to this community, only "just another constant member." Tonight I have made the decision to express what I feel would make the community more fun for everybody, and how I feel leagues should be handled, because I have loved being part of this community since I have joined, and I want this to continue to be a part of my life, so I want to attempt to make a quasi major contribution to this community.

To start, here are the leagues for each system that I feel have been constants and one that I feel are major leagues:

Genesis SNES (Inaccurate, I am a GENS guy)

Classic (Fall/Spring) Classic (Fall/Spring)

Blitz KHL/Juiced

GDL WHA

Dynasty Small Tournaments

Summer League (Current Roster Rom)

Small Tournaments

2on2 Events

This list, in my honest opinion, is what I feel should be the only leagues that should run. I do not think any more league ideas should be created, unless a substantial amount of high end members feel that it will be a good league to start up. These new leagues are a breeding ground for new members that can not be trusted to remain diligent members and finish their games, due to either lack of interest or skill compared to their competitors. Trust me, I am all for growing this community, but I feel like Classic C Divisions are sufficient to bring in new members, because it will have them play new members of the same skill level. They would also be free to put themselves on waitlists for the other leagues, and sign up for tournaments as well.

I want to thank all of you who read this, and also thank those of you that have been so kind to me over these years and have helped me start up with exhibitions and my first leagues those many years ago. I love being a part of this, and you are all the reason for it, so I can not thank you enough.

p.s. I am not drunk, and never have been in my life. So you can think of me as an anti-hokkee haha.

Classic Spring for both along with GDL/SDL

Classic Fall for both along with Blitz/Juiced

I think that is good :) It will grow those draft league since the noobs who come to nhl94online will see it right away and they will sign up.

Also for Gens they will learn about the weight bug from the start.

Since I have started 37272777 leagues I think this input isn't bad.

If you want to join the NHL 14 Genesis Draft League. Here is the page: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15495-nhl-14-genesis-draft-league/

Yep. Good post. Since we had that website blackout I guess about a year or so ago commitment levels noticeably dropped after we all returned.

Since then various leagues have gone unfinished, including my own 2013 league back at new year time or whenever it was. These new leagues people try to start just dilute things even more. You need to get excited about a league coming up & that isn't the case when several are running at the same time.

Don't know about SNES, but here's how I see a GENS calender should run, more or less:

SPRING - SPRING CLASSIC

SPRING/SUMMER - GDL

SUMMER - 2014/CURRENT ROSTERS LEAGUE

FALL - FALL CLASSIC

FALL/WINTER - BLITZ

Add to that Summit series & King's Survivor leagues & you've got a packed year of competition. Absolutely no need for more, unless it was something very special. Plabax's attempt with a highly personalised rom draft league didn't really catch on once it started, so that shows you that the thirst for leagues isn't there like it was a couple of years ago amongst the more established members.

A stricter control of leagues & avoiding crossover of leagues would help big time to breed the enthusiasm once again. It's a case of less is more where '94 is concerned I think.

Honestly this is a really interesting idea, good point OB. This would just make the already big leagues an even bigger deal. I've never thought of it that way until now, but that would probably make things even more exciting. There would be much less slacker spamming I think too, so that would be another positive lol

Removing the leagues is not the issue. Less leagues means you'd get MORE spamming to play the games because you'd have 40 guys waiting for 2 guys to play their games so the next season could start. Dicion is proving one guy can stop a league to a halt by not playing his finals in Classic B, & Bagley quitting in the finals killed of the '93 league.

Better leagues is the answer. And, you only get that from having good admin to run the league & willing to replace guys who don't show up.

99% of all users state BLITZ is the BEST, and yet it's dead right now with everyone willing to play.

I hardly imagine any conversation that can't fix that problem holds a lot of merit, imo.

Removing the leagues is not the issue. Less leagues means you'd get MORE spamming to play the games because you'd have 40 guys waiting for 2 guys to play their games so the next season could start. Dicion is proving one guy can stop a league to a halt by not playing his finals in Classic B, & Bagley quitting in the finals killed of the '93 league.

Better leagues is the answer. And, you only get that from having good admin to run the league & willing to replace guys who don't show up.

99% of all users state BLITZ is the BEST, and yet it's dead right now with everyone willing to play.

I hardly imagine any conversation that can't fix that problem holds a lot of merit, imo.

You can't start a new season while the finals are being played? :/ lol not a good reason. Even with the best admins, at the end of the day you can't REPLACE somebody during the playoffs. The playoffs can very well enter the next league if needed to.

Even so, people are not going to be able to play 4 leagues at once, which is why the leagues die.

Starting with the start of Fall Classic this should be taken into consideration.

I agree with this. It's really a function of supply and demand (as are most things in life), and it will sort itself out.

Blitz hasn't run in over a year, and GDL has had 1 season in 3 years...GDL X will be the 2nd in 4 years or so.

Dynasty is a joke.

I started the Survivor league when there were NO leagues going on (season 1 was a "warm up" for classic), and I think it was successful because people wanted to play (demand), and I tried to keep on top of everything to make it run smoothly. I haven't run it again because we've blown up in leagues.

Guys like O&B, XdbX, swos, etc....are great because they sign up for leagues that they will commit to playing. They don't play every league, but the ones they do, they finish (or make an attempt).

Limiting leagues limits creativity (we would not have had a Survivor, KHL, etc) if we capped leagues. I say go for it, and GALUCK.

I agree with this. It's really a function of supply and demand (as are most things in life), and it will sort itself out.

Blitz hasn't run in over a year, and GDL has had 1 season in 3 years...GDL X will be the 2nd in 4 years or so.

Dynasty is a joke.

I started the Survivor league when there were NO leagues going on (season 1 was a "warm up" for classic), and I think it was successful because people wanted to play (demand), and I tried to keep on top of everything to make it run smoothly. I haven't run it again because we've blown up in leagues.

Guys like O&B, XdbX, swos, etc....are great because they sign up for leagues that they will commit to playing. They don't play every league, but the ones they do, they finish (or make an attempt).

Limiting leagues limits creativity (we would not have had a Survivor, KHL, etc) if we capped leagues. I say go for it, and GALUCK.

I agree in so much as, if you read my post I say if a league is special enough add it in, but we did that with Plabax's league & that stuttered to it's conclusion in the end. If there are 4 leagues going on at once you get overkill.

Get 6 or 7 really great leagues properly scheduled throughout the year & everyone gets their fill without getting burned out by it all.

If you can add a really great new idea to that schedule awesome, but if not let the established leagues keep everyone going.

The only reason Blitz hasn't run in over a year is because the one man with the know-how to run the website doesn't want to do it anymore. It's such a good league I think you could say for sure that people would easily sign up & play twice a year without hesitation.

Nah man.. I know I dont do anything as commissioner, but realistically, it should be looked at like this. ONE league with a good admin will have a better completion rate and be more fun than TWO leagues running at the same time with good admins.

Reason why.. A lot of people signed up for multiple leagues only have the time to play ONE league.. Example, wookiee had to drop classic. Classic has a good admin, but he dropped classic for GDL. If they were run at different times, wookie would be able to play in BOTH leagues and not just ONE.

Not only are there less players in the leagues now, but less games will be played too. If the admins have to be GOOD, then enjoy the time when you have to kick Carse and Icestorm out of big leagues like GDL.

Leagues don't die because people join 4 of them at one time. The guys who can't handle it, drop out & get replaced, as wookiee is a great example. He CHOSE one league over the next, and a replacement was found. Both leagues were not paused as a result of this. He actually could have played BOTH because GDL didn't start until after Classic anyhow.

Now, if NO replacements were available and one league died because another started up, I get that. That would mean Plabax statement is accurate. But, guys who don't FINISH & either can't be replaced or won't be replaced is what stops a season from being finished. If you don't finish your seasons, or start the new seasons up on a reasonable time frame, the league(s) die.

if a bunch of "noobs" get together & create a "noob" league, and it dies, no "vet" leagues were touched/harmed or caused any problems, so I hardly see how they are relevant to each other. The vet leagues struggle because either the vet leagues admin(s) have been lacking or the vet players have been lacking. The "noobs" weren't even around when all these leagues were having their failures!

What amazes me is the time spent drafting, organizing, stat keeping, posting on forums etc...

and the lack of time playing.

Our little 93 league was great until the end.

I still don't get what happened with Begley and I never heard a word from him.

I did see he was right back playing in 94 classic so I am glad that he did not have a career ending injury by Brutus and Bob Probert.

My face still hurts.

I am currently playing in a great small 92 league run by deadmeow.

Lots of games are played. a schedule is followed and you can count on everyone.

We have been playing one month and all 4 guys have 48 games played. (12 games with each of our 4 teams)

It gets all the teams involved and some of the better guys have to play with lesser teams.

So maybe KingRaph would kill me with his good teams, but when my good team is playing a weak sister I may knock Raph off. Or maybe not.

Here is the link to our current 92 league.

http://homeiswhere.phpzilla.net/nhl2013standings.htm

I know not all agree but small leagues that finish with guys you can trust are fun.

A couple guys have contacted me about another 93 season and

With that being said sometime around the beginning of the NHL season I plan to start a small Classic 93 season similar to the 92 season I am playing in now.

6 guys each controlling 4 teams.

That is my 2 cents

Edited by CoachMac

Nah.. You don't want small leagues. Big leagues are the best, they should have Gens A and B together. If the leagues were small then we would have GENS A-L or GENS A-E or whatever. Too many leagues.

What OB is saying is the best way to reduce the problems the most, no doubt.

What amazes me is the time spent drafting, organizing, stat keeping, posting on forums etc...

and the lack of time playing.

Our little 93 league was great until the end.

I still don't get what happened with Begley and I never heard a word from him.

I did see he was right back playing in 94 classic so I am glad that he did not have a career ending injury by Brutus and Bob Probert.

My face still hurts.

I am currently playing in a great small 92 league run by deadmeow.

Lots of games are played. a schedule is followed and you can count on everyone.

We have been playing one month and all 4 guys have 48 games played. (12 games with each of our 4 teams)

It gets all the teams involved and some of the better guys have to play with lesser teams.

So maybe KingRaph would kill me with his good teams, but when my good team is playing a weak sister I may knock Raph off. Or maybe not.

Here is the link to our current 92 league.

http://homeiswhere.phpzilla.net/nhl2013standings.htm

I know not all agree but small leagues that finish with guys you can trust are fun.

A couple guys have contacted me about another 93 season and

With that being said sometime around the beginning of the NHL season I plan to start a small Classic 93 season similar to the 92 season I am playing in now.

6 guys each controlling 4 teams.

That is my 2 cents

Great Post.

I've ran the Super Nintendo WHA for a couple seasons and I like the format. 4 divisions of 7 teams and coaches get multiple teams in separate divisions. You play games only against your own division. I usually start with 12 or 13 guys (2 or 3 teams per coach). Then when guys need to be replaced, I just ask other coaches that don't have a team in that division if they want to take over. It's worked well so far.

Top 4 in each division play for a division winner, and fortunately so far I haven't experienced anyone having to "face themselves" in a conference final or Avco cup final (although i=I do have a rule in place if that occurs).

SNWHA is my favourite league. (but SNES KHL Juiced is my favourite rom).

Thread note: Chris is a great bud.

I really am having a hard time understanding this :(

Run two-three leagues at the same time and guaranteed there will be players who will struggle to finish two leagues, and thus should be replaced by a "good" admin. Most of us here only have time for one league at a time, so why have 2-3 leagues going on where one or two of those leagues is guaranteed to be way behind the schedule??

This just means we will end up having to kick out great competition like Carse or Icestorm to flow the league. When I left SNES A everybody complained I was ruining the competition so I wouldn't encourage it to happen here.

Edited by PlabaxV2

alright, here is my opinion on all of this:

I'm just kidding. have a good Monday, y'all.

Plabax, the issue they had was you quit in the playoffs, not that you quit. In fact, I bet they'd wished you hadn't signed up.

Which is actually more the problem. Guys sign up for more than they can handle & don't quit before it's too late.

I mean, a guy takes his time to post how he LOVED a small league amongst a few friends and your answer is he should not be allowed to do that!

WTF?A?!?!?!#?!@?

Carse & Co don't finish any of their leagues on time lately. I don't dislike them, don't even know them, but you are the ADMIN of Dynasty. It's pretty much a sh&t league because there are 14 owners, and 4-5 of them wouldn't play their games, so the season never ended. HALF the fun of the league is the OFFSEASON setup and using that salary system.

If you never get to the offseasons, that league is worthless.

Classic always works in the end because it has set start dates for each season, and set dates for the end, and they are far enough apart to allow slacking, etc, and there is no "offseason", just bragging rights for the winners. So, you want the BEST of the BEST to join, even if they slack.

Cutting leagues won't change the other issues, and Coachmac doesn't JOIN your other leagues, so how is he hurting your dynasty non-plays?

Yep. Good post. Since we had that website blackout I guess about a year or so ago commitment levels noticeably dropped after we all returned.

Since then various leagues have gone unfinished, including my own 2013 league back at new year time or whenever it was. These new leagues people try to start just dilute things even more. You need to get excited about a league coming up & that isn't the case when several are running at the same time.

Don't know about SNES, but here's how I see a GENS calender should run, more or less:

SPRING - SPRING CLASSIC

SPRING/SUMMER - GDL

SUMMER - 2014/CURRENT ROSTERS LEAGUE

FALL - FALL CLASSIC

FALL/WINTER - BLITZ

Add to that Summit series & King's Survivor leagues & you've got a packed year of competition. Absolutely no need for more, unless it was something very special. Plabax's attempt with a highly personalised rom draft league didn't really catch on once it started, so that shows you that the thirst for leagues isn't there like it was a couple of years ago amongst the more established members.

A stricter control of leagues & avoiding crossover of leagues would help big time to breed the enthusiasm once again. It's a case of less is more where '94 is concerned I think.

perfect.

Plabax, the issue they had was you quit in the playoffs, not that you quit. In fact, I bet they'd wished you hadn't signed up.

Which is actually more the problem. Guys sign up for more than they can handle & don't quit before it's too late.

I mean, a guy takes his time to post how he LOVED a small league amongst a few friends and your answer is he should not be allowed to do that!

WTF?A?!?!?!#?!@?

Carse & Co don't finish any of their leagues on time lately. I don't dislike them, don't even know them, but you are the ADMIN of Dynasty. It's pretty much a sh&t league because there are 14 owners, and 4-5 of them wouldn't play their games, so the season never ended. HALF the fun of the league is the OFFSEASON setup and using that salary system.

If you never get to the offseasons, that league is worthless.

Classic always works in the end because it has set start dates for each season, and set dates for the end, and they are far enough apart to allow slacking, etc, and there is no "offseason", just bragging rights for the winners. So, you want the BEST of the BEST to join, even if they slack.

Cutting leagues won't change the other issues, and Coachmac doesn't JOIN your other leagues, so how is he hurting your dynasty non-plays?

Exactly, so when we're proposing set start dates for EVERY league, how is it not the answer?? Instead your solution is to hire hokkee as admin so he can kick out,Carse, Bo, dickon, and all the other 10 guys who don't get their deadlines on time to keep the league flowing..

There is simply not enough time for people to play in two leagues and follow the deadlines.

ONE League at a time will be BETTER. There will be :

• More Players
  • More Deadlines Reached
  • More Fun.. Why would you want to make Carse and Icestorm choose between Classic, GDL and Blitz when you can have them playing ALL with MORE competition??? :l
Edited by PlabaxV2

alright, here is my opinion on all of this:

I'm just kidding. have a good Monday, y'all.

Best Trudatman post ever!

LA Robbie, I'm not really opposed to your existing 3 leagues, GDL, Blitz & Classic setting dates if that's what the guys in those leagues want. I'm in the Classic, and that has dates locked since long before my time. Blitz is currently dormant, so set all the dates you want. GDL had a draft 6 months ago, so again, set all the dates you want, there is obviously something else going on.

Your contention its the Dynasty league & whatever else you blame is the cuase of these leagues NOT running for 2 years, or running 5 months behind schedule.

I'll simply state I think you are wrong. And, my contention is a league like Dynasty you kick out guys who don't play their games because its a league that bases half its appeal on the off-season salary structuring. You can't have DYNASTY if you can't FINISH one season.

Plabax obviously fails to see this, and his agreement to kill the league shows he probably shouldn't be running it, and his quitting on the SNES league shows he also shouldn't have signed up for it.

You can't read. I'm saying with two-three leagues No matter how good the admin there will always be more replacing and less people in the leagues.

A lot less slacking if it's just one league. If dynasty was the only league I can bet One Trillion dollars it would have over 90% completion so that "Good Admin" stuff is not really the answer IMO. People dont play Dynasty because it's not as good as Classic, GDL, Blitz... And when other leagues are on there is just not enough time to bother with it..

You are encouraging replacing people when you want to avoid that, which is why I think one league is better :)

Pardon the Interuption, but...

As this argument continues our little 92 league rolls on.

We started June 16.

I have played 56 games (14 with each of my 4 teams) and so have the other 3 guys.

We follow a tight schedule and you can count on everyone to be on and play their games.

Look for a Classic 93 League run similar to this coming in Mid-September.

Carry On.