NHL'94 Forums

A Suggestion for the Next GDL

PlabaxV2

why do I even come here anymore

smoz, just tell me who you want banned to make you feel better bud.

smoz, just tell me who you want banned to make you feel better bud.

oh the opportunities

Lol how is it feeding a troll? At the end of the day I am right, we DID mess up in trying to make GDL fair so I am making a suggestion to make it fair..

I have people like kupuck covering their ears and saying Carse's trade with Houly was fair because they don't like admitting they are wrong. How is moving up and the 1st while swapping your 4th for someones 2nd pick fair?

At the end of the day, this GDL Draft screwed up in many places and you can't deny it. Why can't I suggest a way to fix it??

Go look at the GDL 9 top scorers and go look at Carse's team.. You simply don't get a stacked team at the cost of Wendell Young while others have Kelly Hrudey and Hasek.

And look at Ice saying this isnt any more unbalanced than Classic.. The goal was to make it MORE balanced.. And it's easy to make it balanced you just veto the cheap trades and don't call them "Smart Trades" because it's just highway robbery that screws up the league. Then he tells people they make stupid trades and makes no effort to veto it. Great!

Am i saying this for no reason? No.. You want it fair but you are ok with people moving up in the 1st while swapping their 4th for a 2nd... Hello??

Only one trade was vetod and Mogilny for Robitaille is not as bad as what Carse was doing so there obviously is a problem, and we can solve it.

I played in many leagues (not NHL94 online), and whenever you have a draft, someone always screws up. Whenever you have trades allowed, someone always screws up. And it always seems to come out to about 1/3 of the league, no matter what type of league I was in.

However, in this league, it appears the point of having a draft & allowing trades is so a guy could build the team the way HE wants it.

I think Plabax wants to be able to veto his own trades :)

The one big drawback is if one of the best players is also the best at drafting & the best at trading, because these are ALL separate skills. If you wanted it "Fair & Balanced", you'd just have it like in Shark Week were everyone took the same team.

I'd be against veto'ing anything that doesn't look like collusion, but more important than the opinions of everyone in the league or those not in the league just trolling their forum like me, are the RULES. Set up in the beginning, and in the offseason is the time to argue what should be changed, not after you got a beatdown & didn't like the taste of sh&t in your mouth!

Guest goursie19

I played in many leagues (not NHL94 online), and whenever you have a draft, someone always screws up. Whenever you have trades allowed, someone always screws up. And it always seems to come out to about 1/3 of the league, no matter what type of league I was in.

However, in this league, it appears the point of having a draft & allowing trades is so a guy could build the team the way HE wants it.

I think Plabax wants to be able to veto his own trades :)

The one big drawback is if one of the best players is also the best at drafting & the best at trading, because these are ALL separate skills. If you wanted it "Fair & Balanced", you'd just have it like in Shark Week were everyone took the same team.

I'd be against veto'ing anything that doesn't look like collusion, but more important than the opinions of everyone in the league or those not in the league just trolling their forum like me, are the RULES. Set up in the beginning, and in the offseason is the time to argue what should be changed, not after you got a beatdown & didn't like the taste of sh&t in your mouth!

that's how my fantasy hockey league was ruined. this one guy (we'll call him ken) was always asking for trades. and when the one idiot in the league traded with ken, he went from 1-4 start to league champion. he crushed me in the final because he had Crosby, ovechkin and letang all on one team

I like how everyone is dogpiling on plabax when all he did was make an honest suggestion that's hard to argue against. Everyone and their dad knows that Carse unfairly stacked his team. The big guns let him fleece houly no problem, and the worst thing is that even after they realized it was kinda wrong they let him make a cheese deal with wook. Everyone is cool with telling me on aim that the carse trades weren't fair but nobody would stand up against it.

It's also funny like plabax said how I get denied mogilny because "I'm the defending champ." Who was the champ before me? Who was the top scoring player in the last gdl? Oh that's right, Carse and Klima, the pair that everyone is so cool with letting happen. Lets let the guy who has won the most leagues have the last leading scoring player, not to mention the best setup man and complimentary winger in the game gretzky (and freaking zhitnik on D). But yeah...it is a life sentence crime if I get mogilny, even though he is so hard to use because he's too fast. FPB had a great year with him, but FPB was also very good and very offensive, and probably did a whole lot of noob cheesing that season.

All in all nobody will listen to Plabax's argument just because they don't like him, which is about as stupid as letting carse frolic freely in the trade zone just because everyone is so gay for him. Why shouldn't there be a thread strictly for debating trades? I think it's much better than having the three men at the round table decide on who they should pick on and change the balance of gdl for the worse

I like how everyone is dogpiling on plabax when all he did was make an honest suggestion that's hard to argue against.

It's also funny like plabax said how I get denied mogilny because "I'm the defending champ."

All in all nobody will listen to Plabax's argument just because they don't like him, which is about as stupid as letting carse frolic freely in the trade zone just because everyone is so gay for him. Why shouldn't there be a thread strictly for debating trades? I think it's much better than having the three men at the round table decide on who they should pick on and change the balance of gdl for the worse

It was a dogpile he brought to himself. Plabax didn't even know what Carse's actual trades were until I told him after he had to open up old drama again.

A) It was not "just an honest suggestion", it was a typical 14 year old or "houlyesque" response to a lost series to come on the forums and create a thread to bring up old drama.

B) TomKabs was denied mogilny because he was not losing enough skill in his deal and gaining everything, more to it than just being "a defending champ". (Carse gave up Recchi for Klima, and Bradley for Gretz with other variables in there - its not like he got Roenick/Mogiilny/Yzer straight up for the wanna be dino ciccarelli called Luc Robitaille).

C) No body will listen to plabax because he is a troll who only made this thread because he had just lost to carse (we wouldn't be posting in this had he even won one of the two games).

Lol how is it feeding a troll? At the end of the day I am right, we DID mess up in trying to make GDL fair so I am making a suggestion to make it fair..

I have people like kupuck covering their ears and saying Carse's trade with Houly was fair because they don't like admitting they are wrong. How is moving up and the 1st while swapping your 4th for someones 2nd pick fair?

At the end of the day, this GDL Draft screwed up in many places and you can't deny it. Why can't I suggest a way to fix it??

Because you only see a problem that needs fixing since you lost to Carse. I am not "covering my ears", I told you on AIM (not bringing drama to forum) what I thought and you didn't like it. You started sending me 5 messages per second trying to discuss this subject after I told you I was done talking about it, I wound up blocking you. Behavior like this is what got Houly banned from the forum, we sign in to play NHL 94 not baby sit plabax and seano.

If the classic A champ that won with Detroit & mockingly thanks Freydey for his victory in his signature, lost in GDL im sure the SYSTEM IS UNFAIR!

Edited by kupuck19

I agree with plabax that carse got away with 2 barely fair trades. I don't know how that slipped out of the trade reviewers, and personally I'm sorry I didn't notice it. I reviewed the trades now and it indeed seems his 1st and 3rd trades were as I said, barely fair, and together allowed him to get 2 1st rounders in his team (2nd trade carse lost in my opinion). Personally I would have rejected his 1st trade, but barely allowed the 3rd trade. My point is though that plabax is correct. These things should be discussed more openly. I don't like when this happens. This is something that needs to be learned from for next gdl seasons.

That being said, Klima fortunately is not a gamechanger in the same way Mogilny, Bure, Selänne, Roenick, Yzerman are. Klima has been and will be in the future in the hands of title contenders as he never gets into top 10 or wherever near those real superstars. The fact that tomkabs played so well with him tells more about skills of tomkabs than it does of Klima, in my opinion. Together with Gretzky, another similar player, as I said, should have been avoided.

I disagree that playing with same teams is equal. That particular team can suit to another player's playing style much better than others. As you said draft league allows players to build teams they like.

Well said swos - I would still think that a trade for Recchi & Klima is pretty balanced plus the variables. Like Brutus said, people are trading to build the team they are looking for - Wookie dealt out gretz cause he needed a shooter. If it is gonna cause sore feelings maybe best to do away with it.

... You can't tell me i didnt see this problem.. Look in the carse/wook thread, Witt and I explained it well enough even for icestorm to agree with us.

Not sure why you are swallowing so much of Carse's semen.

It's funny because I didn't even know the trade but I knew it was unfair because of how good his team is, and it was.

We already went over win/win trades.. Witt said his unfair trade was a win for him, he got denied.

Wookie did the same but was allowed.. Doesn't make sense and in the end this is something we can fix.

In the end I am correct and you refused to admit it for some reason..

EDIT: And how is it not an honest suggestion.. Sorry I'm trying to help the league more fun with tighter competition.. Am I not? Do you rather have the highlight of your 94 career stay as being swept by Smoz in GENS B and losing to Iceguy in Blitz B??

Geez. Don't know what carse is paying you to be honest, he must have gave you some free wins in GDL since it's already hard for you to win

Edited by PlabaxV2

Not sure why you are swallowing so much of Carse's semen.

In the end I am correct and you refused to admit it for some reason..

Geez. Don't know what carse is paying you to be honest, he must have gave you some free wins in GDL since it's already hard for you to win

Maybe it's time to screen for age here at nhl94.com

Maybe it's time to screen for age here at nhl94.com

Don't understand why you don't answer my questions.. Even on AIM. Everytime I asked you just told me becuz you didn't want to talk about it.. Don't know why you're posting if your gonna avoid my question.

I'm the first guy who loves to get the sh&t slinging back & forth, but I think if we separate out Plabax's trolling, and everyone's dislike of forum style, I think some of the trade protests have more teeth has validity.

The one thing you need if you allow trades is a board that will reflect most of the league's opinions on those protests & rulings.

If you have that, your still get some dissent, but it gets shouted out quickly. And, you put up an official trade protest with a forum for that, and the league agrees to keep the forum in house, so you aren't out trolling & byatching on other forums about your league's trade(s).

I also think one season without trades a counter test would be fun as well. It's not like the changes would be permanent if you had people vote each year what rules they want in & out. That's how my fantasy baseball league in does it. The buy in is heavy (over $400/yr), so everything gets hot blooded like this forum, and you need hard rules & votes on those rules each season to keep the peace.

Edited by Brutus

the trolling is just immaturity. this is an old topic that was done and said long ago. GDL is 2 1/2 weeks in with over half the coaches knocking out checkpoints - most coaches are having fun despite any roster parity, I don't see why we need any drama or spoilage.

the trolling is just immaturity. this is an old topic that was done and said long ago. GDL is 2 1/2 weeks in with over half the coaches knocking out checkpoints - most coaches are having fun despite any roster parity, I don't see why we need any drama or spoilage.

It was not done and said a long time ago.. When did someone tell everyone nothing was changing for GDL 11?? I'm sorry but this change is for the better and you cannot deny it.

Next pressing topic that needs to be discussed: it's time to unban houly.

Also: the solution is just to have everyone on forum vote on iffy trades, cap trade limit at like 5, & have only 1 week trading period.

Edited by Wittgenstein

I agree with Witt. Trade cap will help solve this.

Unfortunately the no cap let things get a little out of control with certain people. If we cap # of trades it will allow for more time for whomever is delegated the authority to review the trades.

Three should be a good cap. If you need more then that you're bored. Plus three will allow plenty of time for the trade board to review.

Here is something I tried out with Blitz that gave decent results.

A player or pick has a trade value of 1000 divided by (draft position + 10).

So 1st pick has a value of 1000/(1+10) = 91. 10th pick has a value of 1000/(10+10)=50. And so on.

Calculate this for each player in a trade. If the final trade ratio is far away from 1.0, it could be a bad trade.

I found that a surprisingly large amount of blitz trades were very close to equal using this formula.

Some sample trades...

(Player pick -> value)

Trevor Linden 36 -> 21.74
Scott Stevens 35 -> 22.22
Mike Richter  85 -> 10.53
TOTAL               54.49
For ---------------------
Kirk Muller   25 -> 28.57
Chris Chelios 48 -> 17.24
Sean Burke    99 ->  9.17
TOTAL               54.99 
Steve Yzerman   10 -> 50.00
Rob Blake       43 -> 18.87
TOTAL                 68.87
For -----------------------
Dino Ciccarelli 17 -> 37.04
Paul Coffey     23 -> 30.30
TOTAL                 67.34

SCOTT STEVENS 35 -> 22.22
PETER BONDRA  53 -> 15.87
10.15        231 -> (ignore, 10th round player doesn''t actually play) 
TOTAL               38.10
WAYNE GRETZKY 31 -> 24.39
6.07         127 ->  7.30
6.12         132 ->  7.04
TOTAL               38.73

Bad trades:

Tomas Sandstrom 11 -> 47.62
2.12            36 -> 21.74
TOTAL                 69.36
Pavel Bure       6 -> 62.50
2.16            40 -> 20.00
TOTAL                 82.50

The above trade isn't too bad.. but there is definitely a possibility of problem if moving up near the start of the 1st and down only a little in the 2nd

Mark Messier 13 -> 43.48
4.2          92 ->  9.80
TOTAL              53.38
2.21         45 -> 18.18
4.07         79 -> 11.24
TOTAL              29.42

Players from the 8th round and on shouldn't even count.

One problem with this system is that if someone picks a player way too early, his value is inflated. This could be mitigated by using average draft positions in draft history.