NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 08 Draft Questions/Discussion

PlabaxV2

This draft will have the odd rounds (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11) as protection rounds and

the "A" league picking first in the regular picking rounds (2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12).

New coaches usually get the last picks, and then the first picks with the snake results and these lead to my questions:

1. Since wookiee played with the team I was supposed to take over, does this make me a new coach or a veteran coach since I was technically already in? I'll also be in Blitz A.

2. If I qualify as a veteran coach, since hokkee will be back in Blitz I will most likely trade teams with him. Will/Should we trade draft spots? Say he takes over HFD and instead of having the 2nd pick he ends up with the 24th pick, will/should this rule apply to me aswell?

3. Can wookiee choose what team he wants?

I don't understand what you're talking about.

I think this goes step by step, right?

First, we need a roll call to see who is coming back, and then see what teams are available?

hokkeefan is #1 on the waitlist -- http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15527-the-real-blitz-08-situation/

I assume he takes over his VAN team as we know that is definitely available. (wookie was filling in)

He would also be considered a new coach, bottom of the draft.

Then next on the waitlist (Witt?) takes over an available team, goes to the bottom of the draft. And so on and so on.

Wookie is TOR

Not sure where you are on the waitlist Plabax? But you would be a new coach as well, same as other people who are taking over a team.

Anyway, that's my take...I'm confused though.

Yes OB I am making an example.

In regards to Raph, Shouldn't I already be in? If Blitz started and all coaches were to return, I would have VAN and hokkee would still be on the waitlist because wookiee was playing with the team I would have taken over.

So if wookiee can only take Toronto it would make sense that I have Vancouver for now, until hokkee gets a team.

You should check how Smoz determined the draft order. A league picking first in round 2 means they get all the cream and B is left to pick up what's left. I seem to remember it going along the lines of season records in both leagues determing draft position, so wouldn't Chaos get first pick in the B league, followed by the next worse record, or the worst record in A etc?

V important to make sure the draft is fair, & also that B league gets an equal shot at the top players.

Plabax, were you #1 on waitlist, or are you just putting yourself in because you are resurrecting the league?

Either way, it may make sense to do roll call, see what teams are available, and then choose based on waitlist. 1st person gets first choice, etc.

Robbie - the draft alternates A/B players. When Plabax said A chooses first, he meant the picks start with A,B,A,B...because last year it started B,A,B,A. Reverse order of standings, draft penalties applied for season slackers, and replacement coaches on the end of the draft.

Question - are you planning on letting protection picks be picked when the round becomes available, or all up front based on some ADP choice selection like last season? Meaning, will we have to choose our RD3 protect right away based on a set of players determined by ADP, or do we pick our RD3 protect after RD2 is over?

Plabax, were you #1 on waitlist, or are you just putting yourself in because you are resurrecting the league?

Either way, it may make sense to do roll call, see what teams are available, and then choose based on waitlist. 1st person gets first choice, etc.

Robbie - the draft alternates A/B players. When Plabax said A chooses first, he meant the picks start with A,B,A,B...because last year it started B,A,B,A. Reverse order of standings, draft penalties applied for season slackers, and replacement coaches on the end of the draft.

Question - are you planning on letting protection picks be picked when the round becomes available, or all up front based on some ADP choice selection like last season? Meaning, will we have to choose our RD3 protect right away based on a set of players determined by ADP, or do we pick our RD3 protect after RD2 is over?

OK, yeah, I was a bit confused by what he meant.

& my vote would be to do the protects b4 the draft starts as with last season. I thought it worked really well to form the base of your roster before hand, adding continuity to the team, and also it speeds up the draft no end by bypassing all the protect rounds. Just a brilliant idea.

if I understand correctly, plabax is saying he was supposed to take over VAN last season, but wookie wound up taking over instead because I assume he couldn't for one reason or another. In that case, I don't think you would go to the top of the wait list unless there was some agreement made about that last season.

if this does go through and you do get them, however, you would qualify as new since you're essentially re-entering rather than returning.

lastly, keep the up-front protect picks. really no reason not to.

Edited by PRoBob38

Plabax should be in no matter what at the bottom of draft with me if I get in and the worst record ,no matter if A or B ,gets 1st pick,and protection rd 1 should just be as it says,just protect picks,then move onto open rd 2,makes everything easier n less confusing.

You guys stop making it confusing,it's simple,just like I said.

ALL done,move on

Edited by hokkeefan

1-plabax is in at bottom of draft if he didn't play last season.
2-no matter what lg,A or B, gets the 1st overall pick.
3-do each round individually,its confusing doing rd 1 and 2 at the same time.Just do protection picks THEN open rd 2.

Plabax should be in no matter what at the bottom of draft with me if I get in and the worst record ,no matter if A or B ,gets 1st pick,and protection rd 1 should just be as it says,just protect picks,then move onto open rd 2,makes everything easier n less confusing.

You guys stop making it confusing,it's simple,just like I said.

ALL done,move on

This is possibly the most confusing post i've read since Probob's playoffs! lol :grimace:

Yes.. We will do the protection picks up front and I will go to the bottom of the draft. but I DO have the power to keep Vancouver though if hokkee takes a team I don't want.. Im just being nice.

just let me know when its time to pick a team if im in,i don't really care what team.

and with that also drafting a light team LOL

Since we do all protects first, should I make a roll call thread and then start the draft while I work on the website? While I get the site ready you guys can play exis with the teams you drafted and trade around to get what you'd want.

We only draft 6 rounds and 3-4 of them are bench rounds. Should be a quick draft.

Definitely Roll Call has to be first, so we know who is actually in the league!

Gotta do the protection lists: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14147-blitz-07-protection-lists/

Give some time for people to digest and figure out trades. Also reminder of trade rules, etc.

Exciting! Sounds like Blitz may be back in the near future!

Gotta do the protection lists: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14147-blitz-07-protection-lists/

Give some time for people to digest and figure out trades. Also reminder of trade rules, etc.

Good thinking Raph! Yep,defo starting to get exciting. Lets just make sure we don't get over-eager. Get everything set right before we start things rolling

Also, last blitz you guys weren't able to trade 2nd round protects, should we be able to trade 1st round protects this Blitz?

We couldn't trade protect picks because of how the first round was done. This season the protect pick round is first. I think 1st round protects should be tradeable.

A note about protection picks..

Last season I had 3 picks for the 2nd round protection pick. This season, they should all be 2 until near the end. So:

1st round: 2 choices (1st, 2nd best players, by average draft position)

3rd round: 2 choices (3rd, 4th)

5th round: 2 choices

7th round: 2 choices

9th round: the rest

when calculating average draft position, you should probably drop the highest and lowest the player was drafted, to get rid of outliers.