NHL'94 Forums

NHL95 Genesis Update

wallywojo

I used to play and post on here a few years ago, but family and other things took me away (Call of Duty). I always preferred NHL 95 to 94 due to the season and the speed. I have been working on an update to the 2003 edit. Here is a preliminary update for the rosters and attributes. I still need to update some of the logos and we need to wait until we get closer to the regular season for rosters to be up to date and jersey numbers (i hate playing with known wrong numbered jerseys). If anyone would be interested in updating the graphics that would be great. Most of the work is already done if you use NHL 94 playoff 2013 update as a reference. If you notice any glaring issues with player ratings or obviously on the wrong team let me know. Also, i have left some players who were unsigned on their old team or for team like the Hawks who have few forwards signed old players exist on their roster.

Thanks,
Wally

nhl95v2013.bin

Maitrefun, sorry i was not going through and getting the 30 teams set up. Nashville and Columbus just didn't make the cut :)

I have a few flaws that need to be addressed. One of the glaring things is that when i did the proper updates to match that they changed the home/road whites it messed with the palettes for the ice logos. Some look cool this way, other do not. If you want you could change the jerseys back but i like having the right colors. At some point the logos for the other teams would be updated, but I suck at image editing and do not want to put the work in that area. On the other hand, i will continue to update the rosters. I noticed that these corrections need to be made:

1) Toronto did not get their jerseys flipped.

2) Abdelkadder should be the RW on line 1 for detroit. Did not mean to double up the second line center.

I am waiting until we get closer to when rosters are close to being finalized because last minute free agents and jersey numbers I want to be accurate.

No Columbus, this rom sucks!

sorry man, if you want to put in the work to make it the 30 team rom then i'd gladly update it. You can be part of the solution instead of making a comment like "this rom sucks".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, kingraph said:

I'd give this a 10% chance, but I'm willing to start working on a '95 ROM with decompressed graphics and 32 teams if possible.  This would likely take a long time, so perhaps a 2018 ROM?  :)

You think you could get 32 teams in 95?  IF thats a possiblity I would help with some grunt work. 

That 94 update is a work of art, love that deadspin is doing simulations for the Stanley Cup.

1 hour ago, segathon said:

You think you could get 32 teams in 95?  IF thats a possiblity I would help with some grunt work. 

That 94 update is a work of art, love that deadspin is doing simulations for the Stanley Cup.

I haven't dug far enough, but assumption is we can expand the ROM, copy the team data to a new place to include 32+ teams, change the pointers, decompress the graphics to a new location and change the graphic pointers.  Not sure how season data, trades and stuff works because that is unique to '95 vs '94.

And while I made it sound straightforward, this will require quite a bit of work.  Good thing is people have expanded '93 and '94, so some good resources we can pick their brains on.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I actually starting digging into this a little more last week and I think I'll give expanding '95 a real shot.  I was already able to find the team data and move it to a new part of an expanded ROM, so that was encouraging.  

This weekend I'll set up a thread to post my notes and progress, as I have found wboy's notes from years ago extremely valuable, so maybe others will want to pitch in as well.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, kingraph said:

I actually starting digging into this a little more last week and I think I'll give expanding '95 a real shot.  I was already able to find the team data and move it to a new part of an expanded ROM, so that was encouraging.  

This weekend I'll set up a thread to post my notes and progress, as I have found wboy's notes from years ago extremely valuable, so maybe others will want to pitch in as well.

I'm all in!   Let me know where you think I can help and I'll do it.

2 hours ago, CoachMac said:

I'd help as well, especially if it was to also include making graphics changes.

I would love to make Historic roms with a season mode.

You got it Coach!  I'm fairly confident I can decompress the graphics (I already have the 1st splash ready to go), but the season information will be unchartered territory.  I'm hopeful I can figure out how it works to incorporate 32+ teams, but that may be one of the last feats.  

• Like 1