NHL'94 Forums

GDL X - Playoff Scenarios

kingraph

With a little less than 2 weeks left in the season (SEASON ENDS SEPT 1st!!!), here are the playoff scenarios. 

Points (after DNP) determine which 8 players will make the playoffs. 

Seeding:  Seeds 1-4 do not change (determined by points, and top 2 seeds are division winners).

Seeds 5-8 will be set by win percentage, to help eliminate any possible unfair matchups due to slacking/DNP.

Once the playoffs start, there is no reseeding.

While the top 4 seeds have home ice advantage, they can play as the away, if they choose to do so. 

I think I covered everything...reply with any questions. GET YOUR GAMES PLAYED!

FINAL STANDINGS

With a little less than 2 weeks left in the season (SEASON ENDS SEPT 1st!!!), here are the playoff scenarios.

Points (after DNP) determine which 8 players will make the playoffs.

Seeding: Seeds 1-4 do not change (determined by points, and top 2 seeds are division winners).

Seeds 5-8 will be set by win percentage, to help eliminate any possible unfair matchups due to slacking/DNP.

Once the playoffs start, there is no reseeding.

While the top 4 seeds have home ice advantage, they can play as the away, if they choose to do so.

I think I covered everything...reply with any questions. GET YOUR GAMES PLAYED!

FINAL STANDINGS

I really am stunned by this.... How I read this is...

Kingraph doesn't want to play freydey in the first round so he found a way to manipulate the standings for his benefit. Seeds 5-8 determined by win % and not points, that's insane. There is no way that everyone could be onboard with this... Come on. Had I known this ahead of time I wouldn't have played my last 10 games or so and just kept the high winning % I had.

No league can have the final 4 playoff seeds determined by some factor after the season is over (win %) when every season in the past is points (points minus DNP).

Edited by dcicon5148

Kingraph doesn't want to play freydey in the first round so he found a way to manipulate the standings for his benefit. Seeds 5-8 determined by win % and not points, that's insane. There is no way that everyone could be onboard with this... Come on. Had I known this ahead of time I wouldn't have played my last 10 games or so and just kept the high winning % I had.

No league can have the final 4 playoff seeds determined by some factor after the season is over (win %) when every season in the past is points (points minus DNP).

That's exactly right. I'm trying to manipulate the standings in a way that works best for me. Since I'm the commish this season, I think it's fair that I get every advantage for myself and I don't really care what other people think.

<_<

I'm joking, of course. MAKING the playoffs requires you to have enough points to make it into the top 8. Had you not played your last 10 games, you would've missed the playoffs.

Re-seeding 5-8 based on win % was to prevent unfair matchups for slackers who did not complete all their games. If everyone played all their games, the standings and seeds are the same.

Note -- this was not done after the season was over, this was posted two weeks or so before the season ended. But your example is actually the point. Freydey and Zalex are better players than you and wookie, and they only finished 7th and 8th due to DNP slacking. Had everyone played their games, they would've probably finished 3rd and 4th! It wouldn't be fair to have the #1 seed and #2 seed play the (based on win %) #3 and #4 seeds in the 1st round!

for kingraph's defense this is largely done because of I suggested it 2-3 weeks before the season would end. He announced it 2 weeks before the end of regular season and when he did all positions were still open. It was only after this that he secured his position at the top and some players started slacking (well almost all of them). I suggested that in a situation where nearly all games weren't being played the positions can be so random that there is no point for the regular season other than just to get in playoffs.

I know from personal experience this can be very frustrating for title contenders. In my first GDL season (4) I was 2nd seeded in my conference only to meet 7th seed kgman due to him slacking. There's been many similar situations in leagues, and I think it's within commissioner's right to be able to balance these kinds of situations. Kingraph had seen this change be done in classic league so it's only natural GDL can try to use it aswell in his command.

You are correct though about this system regarding your points PCT. You could have avoided playing and kept your percentage unrealistically high on purpose, after all the last 20 games you had to play, 10 of them were against very top players so it was only realistic the percentage would go down. But you needed to play those games as points pct wont get you in playoffs. It just helps you after you get in.

I guess I am not one for making up league rules during the season without some kind of vote. All I know is that Freydey whined his way into the playoffs while I drop a seed to a more unfavorable matchup to me because of winning % and not the points that were earned. If those guys slack than too bad, if kingraph has to face a top player in the first round, oh well. Although Freydey is obviously a much better player than me he didn't earn his way into the playoffs because he didn play enough games. There has to be some accountability here. There are 16 teams that makes the playoffs and if you can't make the top 16 you didn't deserve to be in the playoffs, no matter who you are.

Personally I think Freydey is a great player and one of the reasons I enjoy 2 on 2 so much. I just don't think a league should have to bend over for any player.

Not "a lot" of DNP. He played 41 games while you played 46.. Simple rule should be : if you clinch a playoff spot, you're in. Players not even CLOSE to the 8th seed make it in because all they had to do was play their games? They don't even have to worry about winning a lot. You can win 33% of your games and make it in to the playoffs. That's pathetic.

Not only does that player not deserve to be in the playoffs, he also gets a lower draft pick than he should get.

So then do away with DNP points and have it so if you don't play 50 games you are not able to play in playoffs. You are missing the point like always, Freydey goes from missing the playoffs to a 6 seed, how is this fair to anyone he is ahead of (seeds 7 and 8).

Edited by dcicon5148

Not missing the point, replying to your comment saying that your points should "suffer" when you yourself only played 46 games. He shouldn't have "missed" the playoffs. He CLINCHED a playoff spot at 41 games, how the hell can he "miss" the playoffs? I would be crying too if it happened to me lol.

Raph has already played his series anyway. Freydey should really be 8th seed and not 6th seed but why would anyone who decided to incorporate the winning percentage system in for the lower seeds decide to match himself against Freydey after finishing 1st in the league :)

This reeks of a first time gdl commish stacking the deck for himself to win. Since you guys will have people in the playoffs if they start whining why have a season, just let the same guys in the playoffs every year whether they earn it or not.

Wait, by allowing Frey into the playoffs instead of Jay (no offense Jay) reaks as Raph stacking the deck for himself? OK dc that makes sense.

Plabax, again u fail to realize the peripheral implications of not playing your full schedule. The 15 games Frey didn't play COULD have prevented another team from making the playoffs. So a top player could play .750 hockey for 40 games, get enough points to make playoffs and then stop playing? What about the coach who played .480 hockey and missed playoffs by 2 pts and had 4 games left with Frey? If no penalties for DNP existed, this coach would get screwed by allowing Frey in the playoffs.

There would be no incentive other then seeding for top players to play all their games.

The ONLY reason this exception was made was due to a good guy, Jay, stepping down from playoffs after having a .300 win % to allow a prior champ to make the playoffs. Once he tooks jays spot, the 5-8 seeding rules took effect.

The only reason people are complaining here is due to 'bad' matchups they have. If this was done between two coaches with similar records no one would care.