NHL'94 Forums

My "Deadline" Roms

naples39

Don't sweat the small stuff, once you get the hex editing down, handedness and other attributes are pretty easy to change. Thanks for the tip on NOSE, though, I certainly appreciate easier editing. I'm currently trying to change the music so they all match up to their original teams, and the playoff matchups. I think that with the relocated teams in the 97 ROM, all of the music and playoff brackets got shuffled because they're fine in the 94/95 ROM (same teams as the original 94). If I manage to get everything done, I'll gladly post the ROM in this thread for you, with your permission of course.

I certainly won't object if you want to work on some things I decided to skip. The organ music is off for all ROMs except 94 and 95, because to add or delete a single team means reshuffling all of them. I recopied the rosters, uniforms, and graphics, but skipped the music and playoff matchups.

I decided to say screw it on the pictures, and I'm doing v3 now that will include player pictures (although I'm currently capped at 149 picture slots, meaning I can't get every starter in mid/late 90s roms). 87 and 89 already updated for that. I also have a 99 rom, but currently has no pictures, and will also need the 97 fixes for stuff you identified.

I guess you can do whatever you think is necessary on 97 and upload it from there telling me what you updated, and I'll put in player pictures. Figure out 99 after that.

I'm uploading what I've got so far. I've changed the playoff brackets and music.

NOSE has a handy option for editing the playoff trees, but I'm not sure how to tell which team is the home team and which team you take control of, so I just made different permutations of the brackets and copied/pasted them. I also included fake brackets with the teams that weren't in the 97 playoffs.

Music I was mostly able to fix. Because the original 94 had Anaheim/Florida/Ottawa/Winnipeg all in the same location using the same hex data pointer, I can't change them separately when they're shuffled up. Now the teams using that sort of "Let's go Buffalo" chant are Anaheim/Edmonton/NY Rangers/Washington, and the chant doesn't fit any of them. I've been going through the original 94 ROM and I think the best song I could use for those 4 teams is the Washington "Let's go Caps" chant. It fits for Anaheim and Washington, maybe Edmonton (don't know what their chant is), and doesn't fit the Rangers. I'll take any other suggestions for those 4 teams. I also changed Ottawa and Phoenix to better fit their real chants.

The other issue with music is the San Jose power play, which uses the "Jaws" theme. Pittsburgh currently has the San Jose slot and I'm not sure how I can get the new San Jose (which occupies St. Louis's original spot) to have the Jaws theme for their PP. I've left that alone for now until I can come up with a solution. This thread here has the info on changing music http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11307-how-to-change-and-view-nhl-94-sound-effects-and-music/.

Here's what I have so far. Again, playoff brackets are fixed, let me know if there are any problems or crashes. Music is mostly fixed except for the Pittsburgh (originally San Jose) PP using Jaws, and deciding what song to use for Anaheim/Edmonton/NY Rangers/Washington intro.

Let me know what you'd like for the music, and I'll post up my final version before you start doing player photos.

97Deadline_FixedMusic_Playoffs.bin

Edited by FlyersHockey1967

Good news! With some trial-and-error, I managed to get the "Jaws" theme to play for San Jose's PP now. Who knew drawing penalties could be so difficult? I can literally hook a guy for a full minute and still not get called for it! I also tried fixing some of the goal songs, but that's a tougher task than the intro music. Let me know if there are any more musical inconsistancies and I'll try fixing them. I decided to use the Edmonton song for Anaheim/Edmonton/NYR/Washington, and used Washington's original song for Ottawa as a compromise on the organ music.

Did you use clockwise's sprite patch? If so, is there a way to switch the Flyers away helmets from orange to black? Just a minor thing, no biggie if you can't change it.

97DeadlineV2.5_FixedPlayoffsMusic.bin

Thanks for your help. I'll start adding pictures and playing around with things.

A few other notes;

-Did you check player handedness bugs in this version? I just copied over player attributes from NHL 98 via NOSE which apparently had more issues than I realized, so I'll review them unless you already did so.

-Apparently I only applied the old clockwise sprite edit, and not his newer one with the separate helmet color. I'll give it a shot and see about updating uniforms.

-Some good news is that I was successful in using empty space at the end of the ROM to create new player picture slots, so now all NLC starters will have player pictures.

Edited by naples39

I'm currently looking through the ROM for any more handedness errors. It's kind of a mess, as you said. Sorry to keep holding you up, but I'll post the revised ROM once I"m done looking through the rosters.

If you haven't done so, that's fine. I'm going to need to repeat the process for the 99 rom I have, so I may as well do them both at the same time.

I'm working on Ottawa right now. But there's a bit of a problem: I accidentally started editing handedness on a ROM where I changed the title screen picture to the NHL 97 cover with John Vanbiesbrouck (was a little tired of seeing McCarty scoring on Hextall...). It took forever for me to figure out how to do that so if you're not thrilled with having to re-replace the cover picture, I'll just let you handle the handedness errors.

I've noticed that some names left a letter or two off to fit the limit. I know the website has an editing section that says each roster needs the same amount of characters (http://nhl94.com/html/editing/edit_bin_player_info.php), but some of those names have some extra room like "Alexndre Daigle" uses up 15/16 characters. Do you know if I could I add in the missing letter and make it 16/16? Or would I have to delete a character from someone else's name before I could do that?

Changing back the start-up picture is <5 mins, so no big deal.

Regarding the shortened names, that was just me not bothering to change what the EA did. Adding extra characters is automatic in NOSE (from the Teams tab, hit the button for auto-manage free bytes). It shouldn't cause any issues.

Lastly, I just tried the enhanced clockwise sprite hack, and I really like what it does to the uniform editing allowing for more accurate and nuanced color patterns (and helmets), but it conflicted with the graphics already edited and created a whole bunch of errors on the ice surface. Must be the rom base I used in v2 (I think I used one of the blitz roms). Until I figure that out, gonna have to hold off on using that patch.

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about the sprite patch, the page on pixelpuck with the patch said there would probably be some issues.

I was hoping to use the NHL 2004 rebuilt mod's rosters for 97/98 and just work on them side-by-side, but as it turns out that roster has some errors too. So I've just been using Google image search to make sure I get them right. Hopefully there's a better way to edit the NHL 99 deadline ROM. I'm going to finish fixing the handedness tonight and upload the final product for you to work on.

Google image to look up handedness?? I hope not. Use this site;

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1997.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NJD/1997.html

It sucks that sprite patch doesn't work on these roms. Would've been nice and now it's gonna bother me, but the only alternative I see is to re-do the roms from scratch, cutting and pasting piece by piece. Ugh.

Thank you sir. As a thank you, I did not put the McCarty goal as the title picture!

All v3 ROMs now available for download in first post!

Major change is player picture included for every starter. Only other change was to change a few center ice logos, I think.

Lastly, I have a 99 rom that is done except for player pictures and handedness fix. 1967, let me know if you want to work on the music stuff again for that ROM. The 99 rom will be my last single season rom, I have decided.

Haha, thanks for the title screen. The player photos look great.

Sure, I can take a crack at the 99 music. The shuffling with Carolina and Nashville should make things interesting.

One last thing I should have brought up earlier: Since you imported the rosters from NHL 98 into your 97 Deadline ROM, they aren't technically the rosters from the 97 trade deadline since the NHL 98 was released in summer 1997. So it includes trades like Roenick from Chicago to Phoenix, which didn't happen until that summer. I guess calling it "97 Deadline" is easier than calling it "97 Deadline + Off Season," but it technically wouldn't reflect the 1996-1997 season.

Just sayin' :P

Haha, thanks for the title screen. The player photos look great.

Sure, I can take a crack at the 99 music. The shuffling with Carolina and Nashville should make things interesting.

One last thing I should have brought up earlier: Since you imported the rosters from NHL 98 into your 97 Deadline ROM, they aren't technically the rosters from the 97 trade deadline since the NHL 98 was released in summer 1997. So it includes trades like Roenick from Chicago to Phoenix, which didn't happen until that summer. I guess calling it "97 Deadline" is easier than calling it "97 Deadline + Off Season," but it technically wouldn't reflect the 1996-1997 season.

Just sayin' :P

No, I imported the players (ratings and such) from NHL 98. I didn't import the team lineups from NHL 98.

The rosters are accurate to the date of the trade deadline (March) of 87, 89, 97, etc.. Roenick, for example, was traded to Phoenix in August 1996 and played the entire 1996-97 season in Phoenix. Another good example is Ed Belfour. He started the 96-97 season on Chicago, was traded to SJ in January where he would finish out the season, but then signed with Dallas in July of the offseason. In my deadline 97 rom, he is on SJ even though he only played 13 games there in between long stints in Chicago and Dallas.

It actually took quite a while sorting out all the transactions when you look at a simple roster sheet for every team!

Edited by naples39

D'oh! I messed up the dates when I read the news articles on those trades. Never mind, carry on!

By the way, if you ever want to check out the center ice logos used since the 60's, FrozenFaceoff.net is a good resource to check out. I just found it and it's basically the NHLUniforms of ice rinks. http://frozennhl.blogspot.com/

Fixed the playoff brackets, checked handedness, and re-shuffled the music as best I could.

I noticed Craig Berube is in there twice on Philadelphia and Washington (I think he was traded to Philadelphia before the 99 deadline), but I don't remember seeing any other duplicates. Did you import some of the players from the 97 deadline ROM? Most of the handedness attributes were good, just a few here and there that needed fixing.

Lastly, I hope you saved those goal crease tiles from the original V1 ROMs for this 99 Deadline edit :P

She's all yours. Thank you for your contributions to the NHL 94 community!

99deadline_MUSIC.bin

....Thank you for your contributions to the NHL 94 community!

thank you both!

Fixed the playoff brackets, checked handedness, and re-shuffled the music as best I could.

Thanks.

I noticed Craig Berube is in there twice on Philadelphia and Washington (I think he was traded to Philadelphia before the 99 deadline), but I don't remember seeing any other duplicates. Did you import some of the players from the 97 deadline ROM? Most of the handedness attributes were good, just a few here and there that needed fixing.

The 99 rom was based on the 97 rom, although I already gave it a pass to fix the handedness errors. I probably missed a few. I'll fix Berube as well.

Lastly, I hope you saved those goal crease tiles from the original V1 ROMs for this 99 Deadline edit :P

Honestly, at this point rink tile editing is beyond me. The change to creases and other rinks graphics were done by simply a using a different rom as the base and applying all my edits from there. I might not be able to change it now. :unsure:

She's all yours. Thank you for your contributions to the NHL 94 community!

I'll probably have the "official" 99v3 release up tomorrow.

Edited by naples39

Okay, I put it up. :)

Highlights from the 1998-99 NHL season;
-Dallas beats the Sabres in 6 games on the infamous Brett Hull foot-in-the-crease goal.
-Awards;
Hart - Jagr
Norris - MacInnis
Vezina - Hasek
Calder - Drury
Selke - Lehtinen
-Leaders;
Goals - Selanne, 47
Assists - Jagr, 83
Points - Jagr, 127
Notes on ROM:
-Scoring was really on the way down this season. No 50 goal scorers. Only 13 players managed a point/game pace. A team like the Sharks made the playoffs without a single player even reaching 60 points.

Looks like you were right.

I made a quick ips patch of the changes I made from prelim to release, and applied it your music rom above. I noticed it messed up 2 player pictures on WSH, which I fixed. Hopefully that ips patch didn't break anything else. Give it a shot.

99deadlineV3.bin

Edited by naples39