NHL'94 Forums

2013-2014 ratings

wallywojo

I was looking at the EA NHL 14 ratings and saw flaws of course. The good thing is we have control over our updates to the ROMs. What seems like a good idea would be to have actual fans/critics of each of the local teams to give feedback (which people can take or leave) on where players should be rated. For example, I looked and saw Seabrook had an 89 rating in NHL 14. Now, this seems to be someone remembering his playoff winners and not thinking about his total performance last season. If we had local fans with oversight in the ratings I think we would have a more accurate system and lose the highlight/pure stats picture that seems to take place when applying ratings to a player.

If this is something that interests people I would be willing to throw out a rough draft of the blackhawks which I used the nhl 13 playoffs rom as a base.

I'd be happy to asses ratings to players. I have a few ratings made up. Also NHL 14's Chara 94? WHAT THE GA! He wasn't that good last season! I would understand a Tuukka Rask 94, but seriously. What the ga.

this is pretty much how my ratings were created. feel free to take anything you'd like from my ROM(s). for agility, speed/acceleration, stick handling/puck control and shot power, I had folks that were very familiar with whole teams submit what amounted to rankings. other stats such as shot accuracy, agression/reputation and passing bias were culled from statistics. overall ratings ratings (and thus awarenesses) were tied to plus/minus. the system worked very well and I think it's a huge upgrade over EA's system which pretty much kills personality and style variances. that said, it has now been a couple of years since I got fan assistance for my project.... I don't look forward to doing it again.

I've been looking for scouting reports on The Hockey News and other sources I can find for evaluating players, rather than going off any other games or exclusively my own observations, and then trying to balance it in with the way the ratings go with the original NHLPA93 or NHL94 games are. I find if I know the player very well, they tend to get too highly rated in their better attributes and hurt more in their weaker ones, compared to the players I don't know and guess on, those tend to have a low standard deviation.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9xkvUDFGdWHbDlURjNGMW5hQzA/edit?usp=docslist_api

These are for NHLPA 93 and still need to be adjusted, especially in the aggression/checking/fighting attributes, I think these are generally too low.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to let me know, beyond the Blackhawks and the Lightning, I'm not overly knowledgeable about much of the rest of the league. I'm on the fence about Stamkos and the 93/93 shot, I really wanted to give him 100/100 but felt it would have been too biased, especially since I can't justify giving Ovechkin's accuracy more than 86

Edited by simba

• 5 weeks later...