NHL'94 Forums

SNES Fall 2013 teams assigned and playoff format

halifax

SNES A1 and A2, Top 8 make playoffs. We assess NPs to determine who gets in the top 8.
Seed the top 4 (with conference winners 1-2), then next 4 are seeded by win%.
And follow normal 1 to 8 playoff as last season.

Winners will be champions of their league and the two winners can play an overall final.

SNES C, division playoffs 1 v 4, 2 vs 3.....with division winners meeting in the final

NEW: You can drop your team and pick up a new team. This only happens once! You will have until thursday night to make a change.

A1 League (40 game league)

Boston Pondhcky1
Chicago Tylerdeanhill
Montreal etevans101
Philadelphia Hartford northwaynative
New Jersey matticefire
Winnipeg the1jasontaylor
Los Angeles daito
Detroit tommy1978
Buffalo blackdevil19
Pittsburgh joe baker
Calgary omega-red
Quebec jalicki10

A2 League (40 game league)

Hartford C4outlaws

Chicago McMarkis
Los Angeles Fenty
Pittsburgh BobKudelski
Buffalo Boknowsnhl94
Boston NHLTrippin
Edmonton Oilers442

Toronto stheds2000
Montreal Shakazuzu
Quebec Schwartz
NY Rangers Annatar
Detroit The90jacket

SNES C (20 game league)

Division

Boston EmergingObject
San Jose Marchawg
Anaheim Schmeev
Chicago Bergerton

Pittsburgh Bob_Probert
Ottawa NHL94admin

Division
Detroit Caseyais19
Los Angeles Fank009
Toronto jabn
Calgary Jonee
Washington Kero5hin
Buffalo ThePimpImp

SNES E (20 game league)

Ottawa Halifax
Florida Boknowsnhl94
Anaheim Kupuck
San Jose c4outlaws

NY Islanders chaos
Tampa Bay pondhcky1

Looks good, but I do find it odd that the elite players are in what is called A2, rather than A1. I'm talking about Oilers, Boknows, c4outlaws.. IMO this should be called A1.

Also, where is defending champ Grayto? He didn't sign up?

Looks good, but I do find it odd that the elite players are in what is called A2, rather than A1. I'm talking about Oilers, Boknows, c4outlaws.. IMO this should be called A1.

Also, where is defending champ Grayto? He didn't sign up?

sure I can switch it to a1.

Grayto is taking a break for a while i think.

I only recognize two or three names in my league :o

We put all new players in the 20 game league this season. A couple guys in there are former players form previous seasons.

I'd like to switch teams, Hartford instead of Philadelphia please.

you got er bud.

Hartford is the final choice.

Locked in your vote.

Frozen in carbonite.

... I dont understand the C playoff picture fully... Is C Cross division or in division???

also... Cant wait for that E league...

All matches Streamed :D (no exceptions :D)

No it is in division. For some reason Hali removed the divisions from the earlier posts. He will fix it

The setup is a bit confusing I have to say! But I'm excited to get some games in. Quick question for the 40 gamers, is it 8 total make it or 8 from each league? (ie, 8 from "A1" and 8 from "A2")

btw it's annatar with two Ns please and thanks. :)

The setup is a bit confusing I have to say! But I'm excited to get some games in. Quick question for the 40 gamers, is it 8 total make it or 8 from each league? (ie, 8 from "A1" and 8 from "A2")

8 from each league. They will have their own separate playoffs.

sorry about that bud...it'll be correct on the site....no doubt.

I get that Kero5hin and I are not good at this game, but one of the biggest issues I have is tracking people down to play. This is ALWAYS worse when there are new guys. It sucks being in the s**t league with random ass dudes when there is a league of regular players who have been showing up forever only taking up 6 slots. And really, if you cared a ton about competition, I don't think everyone would take teams like Ottawa. :\

We'll see how this season goes, but I know last season got frustrating catching people for their games. I'm not sure I'll keep joining if I always end up in the new fellas league.

I get that Kero5hin and I are not good at this game, but one of the biggest issues I have is tracking people down to play. This is ALWAYS worse when there are new guys. It sucks being in the s**t league with random ass dudes when there is a league of regular players who have been showing up forever only taking up 6 slots. And really, if you cared a ton about competition, I don't think everyone would take teams like Ottawa. :\

We'll see how this season goes, but I know last season got frustrating catching people for their games. I'm not sure I'll keep joining if I always end up in the new fellas league.

I think this is a valid complaint. He's an established player, why stick him in a league with almost all newbies? Too many of the new guys seem to join the site, play a couple exi's, join a league, get smashed and then quit midseason. I can see why E would be more appealing since it's all guys who actively play, though I've never actually played halifax, bo, or chaos so I could be wrong there, but I do know ku, pond, and c4 are all active.

Seems like it would be easy to put him and keroshin into the E league and make it an 8 player while C would be 10. I don't know if it's too late to do that now but it's an idea.

Remember in the 20 game leagues you are only going against teams in your division. So you only need to find 5 guys for 4 games each. Bob_probert played last season, nhl94admin is halifax and me (to fill out the league, we picked OTT so that it gives the other guys a better chance of making the playoffs), so that leaves 3 new guys. They will be replaced if they don't play, we will replace them with veterans who want to take the teams over who are playing in the 40 game leagues. With all the new coaches in the 20 game leagues this season (SNES doesn't have many new guys) we should really only need to replace guys in those (hopefully) so there will be fast replacements.

The main idea why we don't put all the new guys in one division is that they really don't know what they are doing when it comes to setting up games, logging on the site, etc. So if we put a few veterans in there, they can "teach" them how to set things up and log, etc. I don't expect all the new guys to hang around, but some of them stick and add to the community. I apologize for how the league turned out last season for you, but the idea of 20 game leagues was made up to help alleviate that problem (less guys to find - 5 guys instead of 10-13).

Remember in the 20 game leagues you are only going against teams in your division. So you only need to find 5 guys for 4 games each. Bob_probert played last season, nhl94admin is halifax and me (to fill out the league, we picked OTT so that it gives the other guys a better chance of making the playoffs), so that leaves 3 new guys. They will be replaced if they don't play, we will replace them with veterans who want to take the teams over who are playing in the 40 game leagues. With all the new coaches in the 20 game leagues this season (SNES doesn't have many new guys) we should really only need to replace guys in those (hopefully) so there will be fast replacements.

The main idea why we don't put all the new guys in one division is that they really don't know what they are doing when it comes to setting up games, logging on the site, etc. So if we put a few veterans in there, they can "teach" them how to set things up and log, etc. I don't expect all the new guys to hang around, but some of them stick and add to the community. I apologize for how the league turned out last season for you, but the idea of 20 game leagues was made up to help alleviate that problem (less guys to find - 5 guys instead of 10-13).

Good points, everything you said makes sense. I just want marchawg to stick around, seems like a cool guy and his sea-hag site is awesome. Didn't mean to make it sound like last season was ruined by people who jumped ship, I only ended up missing out on four out of the 40 which isn't too bad. I'd also like to say thank you for helping make the leagues happen, sorry if my post came off like I was complaining.

i don't mind making or missing the playoffs. I just like playing. I don't think I'm a particularly big member on the site (especially for teaching folks how to do things), but I understand wanting them to learn from vets. I still think it's worthwhile to make new folks play a few games with a few different members and upload them on sea-hag before they're allowed in a league. This would ensure they know how to--

• save games from the emulator
  • upload games to a site
  • verify games (which is more a sea-hag thing than it is for classic league-- you have to confirm a score someone submits before it will show up/count for/against you)
  • find people to play games!

At that point, you could just have league makeup based on availability rather than perceived ability. I'm bad with QUE and NJ, and those are the two teams I've used in Classic league. i pick them to try new things, new lineups.

Anyway, as I said, we'll see how this season goes. Last season was particularly bad (and I remember Kero5hin bitching about never finding anyone online) with one dude in Sweden, one in the west somewhere, another one only available for like 2 games per week total (not just 2 per opponent). I was lucky enough to get the majority of my games in within 2 weeks or I probably would've ended up with a bunch of DNPs by the end.

Re: sea-hag-- I wrote that in PHP to make it generally usable for everyone. I have to take out some customized things (AWS for keeping states, Sendgrid for emailing folk), but I can make that code available for anyone to put on their own server somewhere. I always mean to do it, but I have three kids ;). Even if I end up leaving the community at some point (doubtful, I've been playing this game since it came out!), someone can keep that site going or change it up to add more features.

Even if I don't sign up for classic league next time, I'll still be available for exhibition games! I just don't want to spend more time searching for people than playing them ;)

Good points, everything you said makes sense. I just want marchawg to stick around, seems like a cool guy and his sea-hag site is awesome. Didn't mean to make it sound like last season was ruined by people who jumped ship, I only ended up missing out on four out of the 40 which isn't too bad. I'd also like to say thank you for helping make the leagues happen, sorry if my post came off like I was complaining.

No offense taken. I appreciate the input and thoughts.

i don't mind making or missing the playoffs. I just like playing. I don't think I'm a particularly big member on the site (especially for teaching folks how to do things), but I understand wanting them to learn from vets. I still think it's worthwhile to make new folks play a few games with a few different members and upload them on sea-hag before they're allowed in a league. This would ensure they know how to--

• save games from the emulator
  • upload games to a site
  • verify games (which is more a sea-hag thing than it is for classic league-- you have to confirm a score someone submits before it will show up/count for/against you)
  • find people to play games!

At that point, you could just have league makeup based on availability rather than perceived ability. I'm bad with QUE and NJ, and those are the two teams I've used in Classic league. i pick them to try new things, new lineups.

Anyway, as I said, we'll see how this season goes. Last season was particularly bad (and I remember Kero5hin bitching about never finding anyone online) with one dude in Sweden, one in the west somewhere, another one only available for like 2 games per week total (not just 2 per opponent). I was lucky enough to get the majority of my games in within 2 weeks or I probably would've ended up with a bunch of DNPs by the end.

Re: sea-hag-- I wrote that in PHP to make it generally usable for everyone. I have to take out some customized things (AWS for keeping states, Sendgrid for emailing folk), but I can make that code available for anyone to put on their own server somewhere. I always mean to do it, but I have three kids ;). Even if I end up leaving the community at some point (doubtful, I've been playing this game since it came out!), someone can keep that site going or change it up to add more features.

Even if I don't sign up for classic league next time, I'll still be available for exhibition games! I just don't want to spend more time searching for people than playing them ;)

I think the site you set up is great!! I linked it under Online Gaming on the nhl94.com home page. I think it is a great idea to practice using your site to get used to how it all works. I think this is a good suggestion and I will include it next season in the registration posts for new coaches. If you don't mind, I'll put something up in the News section on the home page to help promote it. If I had more time to play exhib games, I would def use it.

Unfortunately, the time zone difference sometimes pops up as an issue. There are a few guys who are active in Europe and it is hard to coordinate times with them. I think we are going to try a new system out for negative points due to DNPs. There is a weighted system that is used in Blitz that we are going to look at using. For instance, if you have 36GP and the guy you need to play only has 20GP, you might only get 2 points deducted instead of 8. We need to figure out a good formula to calculate this before we decide to use it. This might out a little so that if there are guys that are tough to find, you won't be penalized the full penalty of -2 per game not played.

Yeah, promoting SeaHag is fine with me. I use it more than the leagues just because it's easier for me to play an exhi here and there than join a bunch of leagues. I hope some other folks find some use for it.

I like the idea of weighted DNPs too, it will definitely help in the end standings and ease some of the annoyances of seeking opponents.

• 1 month later...

What's the SNES E playoff format? top 4?

top 2 conference winners seeded 1-2, then next two best records.