NHL'94 Forums

NHL95PC editing tools and tutorials

Kiba

OK, but you still got to place nhlinfo.exe on same directory where hockey.exe is. Otherwise nhlinfo could not detect the game.

Or did you ment that Boxer could not detect any games and you could not run NHL95 or nhlinfo in it? There I cannot help you. 

Cut and paste all the files from where you put in NHL Info to where you put the NHL Hockey 95 files.

Edited by DSgamby
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, GoTitans21 said:

Is anyone else having problems running this game in DosBox? NHL Hockey has worked just fine, but not NHL 95. Thanks.

They both work for me.

Very similar, I am not sure why one would work and one would not.

53 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

They both work for me.

Very similar, I am not sure why one would work and one would not.

Can you post the link where you downloaded NHL 95 and then the steps you took to play it? I know it's a pain haha, but I was able to get NHL Hockey going. So weird that it basically goes to a black screen when doing the same steps for NHL 95. I'll try the steps on this link after I get home except I'd need to change out letters in drives probably:

Checking out some rink editing, is it possible export the current gif/picture that is in the QFS file so that you can edit that? I saw an updated pack of rinks, including Carolina's that I wanted to export the picture and tweak? Also, does anyone have a palette list of supported colors for the rink? Thanks for the great work!

39 minutes ago, GoTitans21 said:

Checking out some rink editing, is it possible export the current gif/picture that is in the QFS file so that you can edit that? I saw an updated pack of rinks, including Carolina's that I wanted to export the picture and tweak? Also, does anyone have a palette list of supported colors for the rink? Thanks for the great work!

Check the very first post, I have collected tools and tutorials there. Rink editing is possible on NHL95PC. Same method might work with NHL Hockey too?

Seems that rink is done differently in NHL Hockey than in NHL95, there is 3 rink related files in NHL Hockey:

- RINK.MAP

- RINK.TIL

- RINKPAL.QPP

Seems that rink in NHL Hockey is drawn like team logos are drawn to ice in NHL95. There are in NHL95 that TIL-file where image tiles are stored and MAP-file which places logo on different spot on ice. RINKPAL.QPP is very likely palette file if we can assume something about name. I have not figured out how to edit those TIL-files, it is possible thou, done in some NHL95 conversions. So for editing a NHL Hockey rink, could not help much, this is all I know. 

21 minutes ago, Jlsegafan2001 said:

By the way, both attempts at replacing Toronto's logo (using the gif and png formats) deleted the SRLOGO.QFS file from the HOCKEY folder.

I assume you mean NHL95PC here. Is this now related to this?: 

Lets try to keep this discussion on one topic, ok? 

I do not know why your SRLOGO.QFS deleted, but for case like this, modders have backups.

Edited by Kiba

• 2 years later...

I've figured out a lot over the last few weeks including how to extract and import gameplay sprites. At some point (maybe this weekend) I'm going to write a detailed forum post with everything. I've been active on the Discord and been posting some details there on the #rom-hacking channel as I'm making discoveries.

Here's a sample:

0000_0049_mask.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bcrt2000 said:

I've figured out a lot over the last few weeks including how to extract and import gameplay sprites. At some point (maybe this weekend) I'm going to write a detailed forum post with everything. I've been active on the Discord and been posting some details there on the #rom-hacking channel as I'm making discoveries.

Here's a sample:

0000_0049_mask.png

Was able to successfully create a tool which extracts all PPV files to SPIT using gfxpak and then converts all of the SPIT images to photoshop raw (not the same as camera raw), and bmp. However there seems to be a bug in the bmp code, so around 30% of the bmps don’t come out right. Trying to figure out what’s going on.

I also want to incorporate palette support so that the statically coloured sprites/pixels are coloured and you don’t have to manually apply the palettes.