NHL'94 Forums

You have Puck Dynasty questions? I have answers (hopefully good ones)

Omega chatted on aim for a bit. Thought I'd post the conversation here since he had questions that some of you may have.

I edited the conversation a bit to get to the main points.

Omega_red: (6:43:25 PM) i wanna join the dynasty league also
Omega_red: (6:43:45 PM) we do a draft is that right?

Halifax: (6:44:21 PM) no draft
Halifax: (6:44:26 PM) you bid on players
Halifax: (6:44:40 PM) there's a salary cap (ceiling and floor)

Omega_red: (6:44:45 PM) ah ok, but we still build team from scratch?

Halifax: (6:44:58 PM) correct..build a team from scratch

Omega_red: (6:45:11 PM) what we do with player like Forsberg?
Omega_red: (6:45:14 PM) he is not in 93

Halifax: (6:45:27 PM) there will be (i hope) 6 seasons
Halifax: (6:45:36 PM) so Forsberg can't be bid on until a later season when he's in the game.

Omega_red: (6:45:37 PM) do we draft player in between?

Halifax: (6:45:45 PM) no drafting

Omega_red: (6:45:50 PM) ok

Halifax: (6:45:52 PM) each season there will be bidding

Omega_red: (6:46:06 PM) it's like everyone is a free agent?

Halifax: (6:46:10 PM) exactly
Halifax: (6:46:23 PM) and you are the gm
Halifax: (6:46:39 PM) then when you have your team...you are the coach

Omega_red: (6:46:32 PM) do we all bid at the same time?

Halifax: (6:47:38 PM) yes

Halifax: (6:46:51 PM) bidding will done on the forums (a separate forum so as not clutter this one)
Halifax: (6:47:55 PM) ill open up the bidding for the highest rated players first...so there's not too much confusion
Halifax: (6:48:19 PM) once they are done(or almost done)....ill do the next set of players....and so on

Omega_red: (6:46:50 PM) we can also trade player?

Halifax: (6:47:03 PM) yes...trading will take place once all the bidding is completed
Halifax: (6:47:17 PM) ie... everyone has 6 forwards, 4 d, 2 G

Omega_red: (6:48:02 PM) i would send a list like Lemieux 9M$ Roy 8M$ etc...

Halifax: (6:49:02 PM) no list is required....there would a be a thread called "patrick roy"...and you would put your bid right on the forum (with the bid obviously being more than the previous coach bid)

Omega_red: (6:49:36 PM) ok it's like an auction?

Halifax: (6:49:39 PM) yup

Omega_red: (6:48:58 PM) and you take the stats straight from the NHL95 96 97 etc.. ?

Halifax: (6:49:25 PM) yes...stats from those games(as close as they can be since the engines/rating system were different in later games)

Omega_red: (6:50:21 PM) so if i sign, lets say, Lindros now, he is gonna get the 99ov of later game?

Halifax: (6:50:33 PM) that is correct
Halifax: (6:50:40 PM) or close to it

Omega_red: (6:50:43 PM) interesting

Halifax: (6:51:00 PM) i will post an excel file of player ratings
Halifax: (6:51:17 PM) you will have about a week to do research
Halifax: (6:51:28 PM) so there shouldn't be any surprises when the bidding starts

Omega_red: (6:53:19 PM) we play a season every how often?

Halifax: (6:54:01 PM) It really depends on what everyone wants. I was thinking one or two per year.

Omega_red: (6:54:07 PM) k

Halifax: (6:56:40 PM) thanks bud

Omega_red: (6:56:51 PM) thank you

Halifax: (7:06:22 PM) Thank you for the thanks.

Why can't I play? I have so much time on my hands, and in classic I got upto 10 games played in about 1 week in the 20 game league. I just don't know why I can't get on as a backup even.

Edited by Seano7302

• 2 weeks later...

some questions answered...conversation edit to get the main points.

Death Asylum: (7:49:52 PM) Hal I have some questions about the dynasty league

Halifax: (7:50:48 PM) fire away bud

Death Asylum: (7:51:01 PM) yeah I'm confused as all hell
Death Asylum: (7:51:14 PM) do we pick for instance 6 forwards per year?
Death Asylum: (7:51:24 PM) how do you know how much you're spending on the cap?

Halifax: (7:51:46 PM) you have a cap of 100 million ceiling and 80 million floor
Halifax: (7:51:56 PM) so when you bid on players you have to keep that budget in mind
Halifax: (7:52:12 PM) knowing that bids increase by 1 million (like an auction)

Death Asylum: (7:52:45 PM) each player starts at 1 mil?

Halifax: (7:53:38 PM) well some of the better players I will preset to start at 5 million
Halifax: (7:53:54 PM) since i know mario, roy etc. will go for at least that much

Death Asylum: (7:54:04 PM) so all star players basically?

Halifax: (7:55:20 PM) well think of it this way....there's about 14 coaches I think...each coach needs 12 players on their team....so 150+ payers will be bid on
Halifax: (7:55:29 PM) you only get the player if you win the bid

Death Asylum: (7:55:49 PM) ok so we're picking 12 players who will be represented in each season?
Death Asylum: (7:56:23 PM) 93-98? so I can pick, say, Brodeur and he'll play in 94?

Halifax: (7:57:14 PM) brodeur isn't available until nhl'95 which will be the third season of the league...so he wouldn't be able to be bid on until the 3rd season

Halifax: (7:57:44 PM) but for a guy like roy...hes in every season from 93-98....so you can bid on him and try and get him for a 6
year contract

Halifax: (7:57:50 PM) then hes yours for every season

Death Asylum: (7:57:30 PM) oh ok so only picking players for the current season
Death Asylum: (7:57:48 PM) which is 94

Halifax: (7:58:00 PM) the current season is 93

Halifax: (7:58:06 PM) since snes had a 93 nhl game

Death Asylum: (7:59:25 PM) and bidding starts when?

Halifax: (7:59:33 PM) bidding starts sunday

Death Asylum: (8:01:04 PM) cool oh and the season is how many games?

Halifax: (8:01:20 PM) 4 games vs every bud is probably what ill go with.

Death Asylum: (8:00:01 PM) ok I think that's it for now anything else I should know?

Halifax: (8:00:48 PM) bok has sexy underwear

I've asked kero5hin/heatrash to co-manage/play my team. I'm going to be pretty busy in the upcoming weeks and neither of us has time to dedicate full-time to a team, but if we both play the same one, we will be fine. Any issues with this?

I've asked kero5hin/heatrash to co-manage/play my team. I'm going to be pretty busy in the upcoming weeks and neither of us has time to dedicate full-time to a team, but if we both play the same one, we will be fine. Any issues with this?

none whatsoever. If possible, can only one do the bidding? I think it will create less confusion for others, myself included. but playing games...yeah I don't mind.

none whatsoever. If possible, can only one do the bidding? I think it will create less confusion for others, myself included. but playing games...yeah I don't mind.

Yeah definitely. We're going over draft strategy now. I think it will be me bidding. If it helps, we can make a new aim name that we share so that people only need to IM one person.

Yeah definitely. We're going over draft strategy now. I think it will be me bidding. If it helps, we can make a new aim name that we share so that people only need to IM one person.

yeah one aim would be fine if you want.

some more info:

Jonathan Enright: (9:52:53 AM) how does the bidding end?
Jonathan Enright: (9:53:19 AM) or when

Halifax: (9:53:50 AM) in each thread...i wait 24 hours from the last bid
Halifax: (9:53:59 AM) then i close it and consider it won

Superdude99: (9:53:58 AM) ya not like ebay

Halifax: (9:54:07 AM) not like ebay

Jonathan Enright: (9:54:42 AM) cool

Halifax: (9:55:47 AM) the reason for 24 hours is that some people work...plus fank lives in new zealand and kashim is in europe....so it gives everyone a chance to make a second bid if their original gets out bid.
Halifax: (9:56:14 AM) (or make a third bid, a 4th bid....and so on)

In another thread, it says the cap "resets" to $100 million each season. What does that mean? The cap floor and ceiling never change?

There are incentives to gain extra cap space....if you reach each games played deadline, you get an extra 5 million to spend for next years budget. but once you have your roster finalized and the league starts...your cap returns to 100 million and you work towards building cap space again.

ex. you meet 5 deadline checkpoints in season one....your new cap is $125 million for season 2. Then you start playing season 2 (your cap resets to $100) and you try and achieve those deadlines again to build extra cap space for season 3. and so on.

What happens with the team that is currently way over the $100 million cap? Some of his guys go back up for bidding?

Yes. Player(s) will have to be dropped to get back under the cap and those players go back up for bidding.