NHL'94 Forums

NHL'14 by Clockwise ROM

kingraph

nobody likes the way I do ratings, right guys? anybody is always welcome to do whatever short of pulling a profit with my games, though, so feel free to use anything you want for an(y) other hack(s). I certainly do put a lot of work into ratings and they are very much based in (public/official) statistics of measured skills. not quite the way EA does it, from what I can tell; they seem to employ a bit of a popularity mechanism. mine's pretty much about if a team benefits from a player being on the ice or not.

help the team = high overall rating

hurt the team = low overall rating

versus

sell jerseys = high rating

play few minutes = low rating

kind of bugs me the latter is popular, but, by definition, it is what it is.

Actually new lines and new players are piece of cake. As for the skills we could use the ratings from trudatman's rom (if he agrees on it) or nhl 14, because calculating ratings based on nhl.com statistics are a bit difficult

Also, Clockwise's ROMs don't open in NOSE, so changing players, lines, ratings, etc is not easy.

Also, Clockwise's ROMs don't open in NOSE, so changing players, lines, ratings, etc is not easy.

But user-friendly NHL 94-14 does and it's almost the same. But portraits and team logos are not included for that one (thats up for the main GENS guys to edit :D )

Actually I found out a method yesterday for upgrading stats. For every player we should compare his regular and playoff performance on nhl. com and if its better than rise his actuall skillset with one value and vica versa like this:

Higher/Lower Blocked shots and takeaways stats: +1 / -1 def aware

Higher/Lower Giveaways stats: -1 / +1 Pass Acc

Higher/Lower S/G: +1 /-1 Off Aware

Higher/Lower Sht %: +1/-1 Shooting Acc

and so on...

Edited by Kashim

nobody likes the way I do ratings, right guys? anybody is always welcome to do whatever short of pulling a profit with my games, though, so feel free to use anything you want for an(y) other hack(s). I certainly do put a lot of work into ratings and they are very much based in (public/official) statistics of measured skills. not quite the way EA does it, from what I can tell; they seem to employ a bit of a popularity mechanism. mine's pretty much about if a team benefits from a player being on the ice or not.

help the team = high overall rating

hurt the team = low overall rating

versus

sell jerseys = high rating

play few minutes = low rating

kind of bugs me the latter is popular, but, by definition, it is what it is.

EA definitely overrates some guys and overlooks others, but, with respect to all the work you've done, many of your ratings I have found to be pretty all-over-the-place. I know it's tempting to go against the grain, but most of the players who sell jerseys and get ice time do so because they're really good at hockey. I think the Phaneufs of the world are the exception, not the rule. Our Paul Careys shouldn't be more usable in-game than our Matt Duchenes. As flawed as their current product is, EA mostly nails known skill sets and acknowledges breakout seasons (regressions not so much), even if the engine does a poor job of expressing any of it.

I'll start figuring out NOSE asap, if there's a need for player-raters. Clockwise's absence must be filled!

I know it's tempting to go against the grain, but most of the players who sell jerseys and get ice time do so because they're really good at hockey. I think the Phaneufs of the world are the exception, not the rule.

Phaneuf is actually pretty good. He faces the toughest competition of any defenseman in the league and starts most of his shifts in the defensive zone (more than any other D in the league). Unfortunately his coach is a dinosaur the team's management don't understand statistics or math in general (grabovski bought out for clarkson, macarthur let walk, shots for/against don't matter...).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=13&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f7=20-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Phaneuf is actually pretty good. He faces the toughest competition of any defenseman in the league and starts most of his shifts in the defensive zone (more than any other D in the league). Unfortunately his coach is a dinosaur the team's management don't understand statistics or math in general (grabovski bought out for clarkson, macarthur let walk, shots for/against don't matter...).

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=13&f1=2013_s&f2=5v5&f7=20-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

I kind of felt like Phaneuf had too much pressure put on him with being named captain almost immediately upon his arrival in Toronto. In all honesty, it probably would have made much more sense to name Kaberle captain at the time.

....with respect to all the work you've done, many of your ratings I have found to be pretty all-over-the-place. I know it's tempting to go against the grain, but most of the players who sell jerseys and get ice time do so because they're really good at hockey....

I don't go against the grain for the sake of it. my ratings are based in statistics. they may not be the perfectly applicable statistics (I'm not much of a "shots for/against" guy), but I think they work. Ovechkin certainly has that "controller disconnected" issue when the computer has him, but if you control him, he's excellent. lazy dudes with great skills just have low awarenesses, mostly, so they are fine when you tell them how to play, but they suck when left to their own whims. I think EA sucks at player ratings and has sucked since the late nineties. '94 through '98 were pretty damned good for ratings, generally.

Okay I was tricking around with NOSE today and there are few things:

1. I am really amazed by NOSE because its WAY more detailed and user-friendly than SNES Editor

2. I tried out that method i mentioned before like this:

- skating, shooting power and stick handling not measurable by stats or its very biased so i didnt changed that skills

- Off. Aware -> S/G

- Def. Aware -> Blocked Shots/G and Takeaways/G

- Checking -> Hits/G

- Shooting Acc -> S%

- Agression -> PIM/G

- Pass Acc -> A/G and Giveaways/G (inverse proportionality)

(- Endurance -> TOI/G but thats should be not changed too)

If the difference of the regular and playoff stats were between a +/- 0.5 or +/- 5% (for S% data) I didnt changed the skill as margin of error

3. Because NOSE has 16 values for each attribute adding or deducting 1 isnt enough, it should be 2 or 3 to make a real difference

4. For players who were new trades and werent in the game (like Hampus Lindholm) only way is comparing them to other players with the same stats

Edited by Kashim

roughness is really shoot/pass bias for the computer-controlled players.

roughness is really shoot/pass bias for the computer-controlled players.

Thanks. It was weird because in SNES there isnt stat like that, bias is at the stick left rating

• 1 month later...

I kind of felt like Phaneuf had too much pressure put on him with being named captain almost immediately upon his arrival in Toronto. In all honesty, it probably would have made much more sense to name Kaberle captain at the time.

A little late seeing this but YES. I agree 100%

Clockwise was supposed to release a playoff version of NHL 14 and he didn't, so there is no indication right now that he will make an NHL 15. Right now he has to be considered M.I.A. unfortunately. For all we know, he could be in a coma somewhere in a hospital (I hope not, just sayin'). Or worse. I just hope he's still with us.

he's been making regular updates for years and you are jumping to the conclusion that he's in a coma or a grave because he didn't update the last one for the playoffs? I think the assumption that there will be an update about a month into next season is much more reasonable.

he has his account here set not to display his last activity timestamp and his updates just appear one day without much build up, so he's probably not one to respond to emails.

• 1 month later...