NHL'94 Forums

Plabax's Analyzation #1 - Shooting Wind-Up Speed

PlabaxV2

#2 - *SHOOTING WIND-UP SPEED*

Plabax Thinks

• The wind-up speed to a slapshot is determined by the difference between a skater's SHP and SHA stats.

Key Terms For This Analyzation

• Difference : The difference between a skaters's SHP and SHA stats.

(Example : Mike Gartner has 5 SHP (Shot Power) and 3 SHA (Shot Accuracy), so his difference would be 2.)

• Normal : Difference of 0 or less.The time it usually takes to wind up a slapshot, it is normal because most of the skaters that you regularly use in NHL '94 have a difference that is less than 1. Skaters like Ciccarelli, Fedorov, Lemieux, most of the big guns have this kind of wind-up speed.
  • Quick : Difference of 1. A bit faster than a normal wind-up, but you will rarely come across this type of shot as there are few 3-2 shooters, few 4-3 shooters and NO 5-4 / 6-5 shooters. Good example of a skater like this is Theo Fleury.
  • Quicker : Difference of 2. A noticeable difference that all players have probably noticed by now, these skaters will be able to pull of fast and stealthy crease cuts that the opposing player will find hard to stop with manual control. Examples include Mike Gartner and Valeri Kamensky.
  • Quickest(?) : Difference of 3. Not too different from "quicker", but to go along with my theory I will say that it's a tiny bit faster, like the difference between quick and normal wind-up speeds. Most notable skaters in this category here are Brett Hull and Mike Modano.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plabax Reasons

I believe that my theory is correct, as it would make sense that a player that has more power than they do accuracy would not take as much time to wind up and aim their shot.

If all this is not correct, It would be more reasonable to settle on the fact that all players with a difference of 0 and less have a "normal" wind-up speed while those with a difference greater than 1 have a "quick" wind-up speed. As I am typing this I now believe that this is actually the correct statement but I'll leave it open to dicussion.

Has anyone else noticed? I remember asking Raph about this way back...

Edited by PlabaxV2

It seems to me that certain players are slower at getting off a shot than others, however, it might just be that the players with lousy stickhandling get knocked off the puck easier and seem slower.

Should be easy to test this theory(hypothesis) by making a video and counting frames.

How would one go about counting frames?

I remember talking about something similar -- how come sometimes a player fully pulls back his stick to rip a one-timer vs the players who seem to go waistline. I don't think this is the same concept here though.

Regarding the "full" slapshot one-timer vs "half", I thought it was inconsistent with each player, but I really haven't payed much attention. I don't find it helps or hurts the actual one-timer...it's more of a graphics thing. But again, just anecdotal.

I agree, it'd be cool to take 10 slapshots each with Modano, Roenick, Gartner, Hogue, etc, and measure the average frames to complete each shot, and see if there is a pattern to back up this theory.

I think you can download a version of GENS (GENS11b?) where you can view frame count and button actions. So note the frame count when you first press C to when the puck comes off the stick. Try it with the same player a bunch of times in different games to get an average. Then do it for a bunch of different players.

It seems to me that certain players are slower at getting off a shot than others, however, it might just be that the players with lousy stickhandling get knocked off the puck easier and seem slower.

How would one go about counting frames?

If you make an AVI then open it in VirtualDub, you can go frame-by-frame using the right and left keys.

In VLC, you can do this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100320143825AAG7lZo

• 1 month later...

I've noticed something similar ever since NHL Hockey on PC. But did not think it's something to do with wind up speed. General feel is power > accuracy is more powerfull shots but they tend to go off target more often than on power = accuracy or power < accuracy even if accuracy was the same an all of those cases. Think of an example like Modano, those shots go wide real often, you don't see that happen with Gretzky who has a 2/2 shot, but relatively often with Modanos 5/2.

Not saying I'm right, but just my general feel, which seems to go together in a way with what Plabax has thought about that it somehow affects the speed of the shot/windup with the greater difference.