NHL'94 Forums

We need more leagues for newer player other than Blitz, GDL, etc to bridge gap between fall and spring.

Seano7302

Should there be, and what would it be?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. if yes what? Check all that apply

• Another GDL for newer players
    • A weekly tournament where An updated rom is used
    • A gm league where games are simmed/demoed.
    • A small classic league
    • A weight bug fixed league
    • Other
  3. 3. .If no why

• It's not needed
    • Gdl, blitz, etc. are all we need
    • I don't like the ideas you have
    • Other
  4. 4. Would you be interested in a different forum/site if this all goes down?

• Yes
    • Sadly, no because I want to be left out of all the fun.

other. we need contraction, not expansion.

the fact that classic and blitz are struggling to get games completed and get started at all, respectively, would imply that any small new lg ideas would likely go nowhere (as just about all have of late).

other. we need contraction, not expansion.

the fact that classic and blitz are struggling to get games completed and get started at all, respectively, would imply that any small new lg ideas would likely go nowhere (as just about all have of late).

Agreed. If you can get a noobs only league going with maye 6 to 8 really enthusiastic, commited guys that would be excellent in terms of developing & growing the community.

As far as vets go it's pretty clear less is more. Guys need to get excited about a league coming up & not have 4 or 5 different leagues to drop from as they please. We need to have 1 league running & a guy knows that if he gets replaced he's got nothing else for a couple of months at least. Get guys to commit to something & don't have any other options at the same time is the best way forward

Seeing that we have a big problem with guys not showing up for their games, we need to come up with an idea that won't fail because of them. One idea would be to play a game of "King of the Mountain", where you have a current champion and anyone can join a queue of challengers. You could set an amount of time for the challenger to show up before moving on to the next person on the list. You might have trouble if the champion doesn't show up after they take the title, but you could also give them a set amount of days that they have to play.

It wouldn't be as fun as a new league, but it would be a lot easier to run.

Seeing that we have a big problem with guys not showing up for their games, we need to come up with an idea that won't fail because of them. One idea would be to play a game of "King of the Mountain", where you have a current champion and anyone can join a queue of challengers. You could set an amount of time for the challenger to show up before moving on to the next person on the list. You might have trouble if the champion doesn't show up after they take the title, but you could also give them a set amount of days that they have to play.

It wouldn't be as fun as a new league, but it would be a lot easier to run.

i believe we already have something like that its called kings court

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14686-kings-court-gens-best-of-5/

Edited by mav

After Fall Classic League we will (likely) organize a NHL 94 tournament on http://snesot.com/'>SNESOT.com if we have enough sign ups.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15788-what-about-an-after-season-winter-tourno/#entry133006

In the near future we should organize 2 tournaments a year beetween Fall and Sping League vica-versa and it will "act" like a pre season tournament.

Love the reactions. Didn't think that the weekly updated rom tourney would get much, but it got the most!

I set out to make a Tourney site so everyone could host all different kind of tourneys to play online.

Even set up the domain name of nhl94tourney.com, and paid a programmer some money to finish the rest. He got half way done during the summer, and his fiancé came down really sick.

He's been out for several months. I'm working on seeing if I can reach him this past week to get the code back for what he did work on.

I think that a tourney with time slots/forfeits for no show would get the most "activity" for here & there, and definitely give the inbetweeners a chance to play against higher talent from time to time and not be delayed with the waiting game(s).

I wasn't "out of pocket" because I also had paid him work to on work related sites, which he did finish.

However, setting up a site that handles tourney's is a LOT of work, imo, for someone to do on the casual won't happen.

i believe we already have something like that its called kings court

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14686-kings-court-gens-best-of-5/

Thanks for the link.

Seano - Would you be up to something like this? We could use your new dream team rom that you are making.

Thanks for the link.

Seano - Would you be up to something like this? We could use your new dream team rom that you are making.

Sure. I'll create a site, but it won't have save state uploads. I'd always be upto running a league or tourney.

We need a recreational league section with a lot of active players so we can display how dynamic we can be with NHL '94. A lot of the newcomers never find out about leagues other than Classic because they aren't ever exposed to it. A fun league they can jump into right away would be great.

Leagues would be grouped into categories (Competitve, Recreational)

Competitive - (Classic), Blitz,GDL,Dynasty,SDL - They are strict on the deadlines, using SWOS' GDL system idea. They run at different times in a certain order (GENS has Classic, Blitz, GDL, Dynasty will have something different to keep the flow) (SNES has Classic, SDL, Puck Dynasty(?)) (Classic stay Fall and Spring)

Recreational - Fun leagues or tournament that everyone can play and don't have a real structure to their schedule. These leagues have fun ideas (Survivor, Random Rosters, 2on2, 3on3, Juiced) and they are leagues everyone can play on the side..

A sea-hag type of thing for 2on2 will grasp the attention of newcomers IMO, and then we can host small (1month) 2on2 tournaments every now and then and if enough interest, 2on2 leagues.

We would need the schedules to be strict, so if we need replacements for "competitive" leagues we can take some of the guys who had only got a chance for "recreational" leagues and have been dying to try the big leagues.

This would not be hard to do if it is hosted all on one website. It would be cool to see your all time stats throughout the leagues you have played in, separating 5on5 from 2on2 of course.

Edited by PlabaxV2

We need a recreational league section with a lot of active players so we can display how dynamic we can be with NHL '94. A lot of the newcomers never find out about leagues other than Classic because they aren't ever exposed to it. A fun league they can jump into right away would be great.

Leagues would be grouped into categories (Competitve, Recreational)

Competitive - (Classic), Blitz,GDL,Dynasty,SDL - They are strict on the deadlines, using SWOS' GDL system idea. They run at different times in a certain order (GENS has Classic, Blitz, GDL, Dynasty will have something different to keep the flow) (SNES has Classic, SDL, Puck Dynasty(?)) (Classic stay Fall and Spring)

Recreational - Fun leagues or tournament that everyone can play and don't have a real structure to their schedule. These leagues have fun ideas (Survivor, Random Rosters, 2on2, 3on3, Juiced) and they are leagues everyone can play on the side..

A sea-hag type of thing for 2on2 will grasp the attention of newcomers IMO, and then we can host small (1month) 2on2 tournaments every now and then and if enough interest, 2on2 leagues.

We would need the schedules to be strict, so if we need replacements for "competitive" leagues we can take some of the guys who had only got a chance for "recreational" leagues and have been dying to try the big leagues.

This would not be hard to do if it is hosted all on one website. It would be cool to see your all time stats throughout the leagues you have played in, separating 5on5 from 2on2 of course.

Plabax= Smartest Man Alive. Love the system. Now we need to show the admins, or create a WHA type of forum.

WHA type of forum and website is the best bet. Will keep everything more organized.

And we could steal players from this site like the wha did from the nhl.

And on this wha forum, people would be actually active other than 6 or 7 vets and all newcomers. Just imagine

Heard all this before guys. If enough enthusiastic noobs come along to give the community a new boost great but more open to all leagues will just dilute participation further.

I would concentrate on running small 6-8 team noob leagues to develop those enthusiastic & commited enough & the put a clear season schedule in place to ration playing opportunities for those vets that don't live & breath it anymore

How can it dilute participation when there is a strict schedule? This means people wont be around playing more than 2 leagues at once. The recreational leagues are for active players and newcomers who want to play in a small league for fun on the side.

I think the idea of combined stats from all leagues, games, tourneys, etc, including a chess type overall rating based on opponent(s) played would help pull some of these loose ends together.

I'd had the idea of a running league that requires say only 2 week commitments, and you re-up or drop out based on your availability without fear of "losing your spot" the next session. The down time between some of these leagues borders on insane.

I can't imagine that would take from the leagues that are running & dilute them.

However, I thought the tourney idea would be better to bring people who don't play in, so I wanted to get that done first.

If I can get the code back from this dude, I'd be willing to do some sponsoring to finish the tourney site & "recreational" style league as well afterwards.

A site for running tournaments would be awesome, would be even better if it accepted a variety of roms.

As for leagues, we've run them using nothing more than google spreadsheets.

A site for running tournaments would be awesome, would be even better if it accepted a variety of roms.

As for leagues, we've run them using nothing more than google spreadsheets.

Yep love it. Just have a round robin using a different rom every week or two.

Have the main leagues on a structured schedule and GP % will rise for sure. 2 coaches in GENS A have got in 18 games in less than a week after having around 6 because of GDL.. It definitely is the answer to the problem.

Get all the leagues structured and organized, how many newcomers have heard of GDL or Blitz?? Took me 9 months to discover GDL and around 4 to discover Blitz. Get them more involved because it's hard for noobs to be interested when all they know is boring GENS/SNES C.

I made the sea hag site to effectively get people involved immediately. I've had several nubs reach out to me to play, but with so few vets playing on it, it's really difficult to gain any traction with the new folks.

Granted, I could add more functionality to SH to make it more flexible, but it comes down to a chicken or egg situation. I started with Snes-only, and when people asked for gens, I added it. I think there were approximately 10 recorded gens games total in the past 8 months. For Snes, there have been hundreds (although probably 95% are from me/HeatRash). My point is that everyone has grand ideas, but no one seems to actually want to do anything other than leagues.

Sea hag has rankings based on games played using the Glicko-2 ranking system. I can add some sort of king's court challenge/leader, but even with the gens series going on (with a suggestion by kingraph to use SH), no one uses the site. It seems like the preference is just to log final scores on the forum.

I have said before that I would like to release the sea hag code, and I still want to, but it is sloppy from being so stream of thought. I haven't had time to clean it up properly for release, but there has also not been any demand to drive me to do so.

@Marchdawg

How tough would it be to develop a standard 8 team playoff style tournament? Manual or random assignment of seeds, and some of your slick presentation of team stats and scores. I think it would be a hit.

Jer

On my point of view, we need some leagues open only for B or C players, with a strict respect on that. Some A players trust all the leagues I think...

And we need a strict respect of the calendar, specially for the playoffs...

The fact is that the classic tourney start with A, B and C divisions, but when you look in it, you find A players in the B division and some B players in the C, because they don't want to play in the appropriate level... Worse than that, the replacement players in all league don't match with the level of play, what destabilizes all the season, and the pleasure of playing of course.

New players who start in C league are often welcomed with a lot of 10- 2 or more for their first season... This is not encouraging...

I can say also that some veteran players slow down the calendar, you need just to look in the Classic League... Dynasty or Blitz...

The most incredible is when the playoffs comes, who is the best part... it took 2 months to finish... sometimes more...

The playoffs take often more times that the regular season, that's just crazy.

We need to be strict on the calendar and the level of play in each division. And we need to running leagues with only motivated players... that's all, the others players can play Recreational Leagues, or Event Tourney if they want.

Edited by Dragon

• 3 weeks later...

What about a series/season of different tournaments. for your between regular seasons thing.

Kinda like tennis?

Should be easy to get people all signed up and playing right away.
Can use different roms and rules per tourney to keep it fun and interesting.
Come up with a ranking system based on placement on the end of each tournament.
and if you want can even have a playoff at the end of however many tournaments you get in.

On my point of view, we need some leagues open only for B or C players, with a strict respect on that. Some A players trust all the leagues I think...

And we need a strict respect of the calendar, specially for the playoffs...

The fact is that the classic tourney start with A, B and C divisions, but when you look in it, you find A players in the B division and some B players in the C, because they don't want to play in the appropriate level... Worse than that, the replacement players in all league don't match with the level of play, what destabilizes all the season, and the pleasure of playing of course.

New players who start in C league are often welcomed with a lot of 10- 2 or more for their first season... This is not encouraging...

I can say also that some veteran players slow down the calendar, you need just to look in the Classic League... Dynasty or Blitz...

The most incredible is when the playoffs comes, who is the best part... it took 2 months to finish... sometimes more...

The playoffs take often more times that the regular season, that's just crazy.

We need to be strict on the calendar and the level of play in each division. And we need to running leagues with only motivated players... that's all, the others players can play Recreational Leagues, or Event Tourney if they want.

I like having top 2-4 teams in B league get bumped up to A and bottom 2-4 A leaguers drop to B from season to season. The numbers can be adjusted to make sense but you get the idea.

For instance, the 1/2 seeds in regular season and then next top two playoff teams after playoffs end, get bumped up.i know blitz used a similar idea to keep the same teams from dominating season to season.