NHL'94 Forums

We need more leagues for newer player other than Blitz, GDL, etc to bridge gap between fall and spring.

Seano7302

Should there be, and what would it be?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. if yes what? Check all that apply

• Another GDL for newer players
    • A weekly tournament where An updated rom is used
    • A gm league where games are simmed/demoed.
    • A small classic league
    • A weight bug fixed league
    • Other
  3. 3. .If no why

• It's not needed
    • Gdl, blitz, etc. are all we need
    • I don't like the ideas you have
    • Other
  4. 4. Would you be interested in a different forum/site if this all goes down?

• Yes
    • Sadly, no because I want to be left out of all the fun.

We're in the midst of another small '93 league with 8 coaches (up from 6). The draft took a week and we're already playing the season.

Maybe smaller leagues should be an option.

Exactly jer. It's obvious: the more people = more scope for problems. Just select guys u know will be committed & put anyone else on a awaitin list

I made the sea hag site to effectively get people involved immediately. I've had several nubs reach out to me to play, but with so few vets playing on it, it's really difficult to gain any traction with the new folks.

Granted, I could add more functionality to SH to make it more flexible, but it comes down to a chicken or egg situation. I started with Snes-only, and when people asked for gens, I added it. I think there were approximately 10 recorded gens games total in the past 8 months. For Snes, there have been hundreds (although probably 95% are from me/HeatRash). My point is that everyone has grand ideas, but no one seems to actually want to do anything other than leagues.

Sea hag has rankings based on games played using the Glicko-2 ranking system. I can add some sort of king's court challenge/leader, but even with the gens series going on (with a suggestion by kingraph to use SH), no one uses the site. It seems like the preference is just to log final scores on the forum.

I have said before that I would like to release the sea hag code, and I still want to, but it is sloppy from being so stream of thought. I haven't had time to clean it up properly for release, but there has also not been any demand to drive me to do so.

I think this is a great site and maybe people would use it more if they were playing for something. Perhaps a friendly monthly competition would entice players to upload games. No schedule needed, just play whom ever you want as many times as you want. Then, at the end of the month the 4 coaches with the most wins(irregardless of loss total) could compete in a playoff to determine the monthly sea-hag champion. Wouldn't have to worry about slackers and it would basically run itself. Edited by jackandjose

Can I log all of my save states from Hitz, Mini Blitz, and Mini GDL into it to keep a running stat log for my smaller league games and exhibs.....?

Edited by BlitzburghLabs66

I made the sea hag site to effectively get people involved immediately. I've had several nubs reach out to me to play, but with so few vets playing on it, it's really difficult to gain any traction with the new folks.

Granted, I could add more functionality to SH to make it more flexible, but it comes down to a chicken or egg situation. I started with Snes-only, and when people asked for gens, I added it. I think there were approximately 10 recorded gens games total in the past 8 months. For Snes, there have been hundreds (although probably 95% are from me/HeatRash). My point is that everyone has grand ideas, but no one seems to actually want to do anything other than leagues.

Sea hag has rankings based on games played using the Glicko-2 ranking system. I can add some sort of king's court challenge/leader, but even with the gens series going on (with a suggestion by kingraph to use SH), no one uses the site. It seems like the preference is just to log final scores on the forum.

I have said before that I would like to release the sea hag code, and I still want to, but it is sloppy from being so stream of thought. I haven't had time to clean it up properly for release, but there has also not been any demand to drive me to do so.

Can I log all of my save states from Hitz, Mini Blitz, and Mini GDL into it to keep a running stat log for my smaller league games and exhibs.....?

Oh ok. Yea I figured not the 93 ones....would be cool if eventually there is one that works with 93

Right now the rosters only align with default NHL 94 (the only way to get rosters from modified roms is to strip them from the rom itself, which I have not attempted at this point), so if your games in those leagues are all based on the original NHL94 rom/rosters, you can upload all you want. If not, it will just wrongly show your roster players in the box score/penalty summary (and potentially team, if that is also modified).

EDIT:

I still mean to open source sea-hag so that anyone can take it and do whatever they want with it. It could be a solid starting point for some folks who are not sure how to start it out or people who just want to clone it and put it up on their own box somewhere.

Edited by marchawg