NHL'94 Forums

Yearly Schedule to Start with Blitz 08?

PlabaxV2

The state of '94 now is pretty ugly. The leagues are not organized, we have shady rule changes in the middle of leagues, biased drafts, deadline system that is clearly not working... Most of all there is no yearly schedule.

With Blitz 08 shouldn't we just set up a yearly schedule and put it on the header of nhl94.com? It is amazing how we are still using this fake deadline system that doesn't replace anybody as our incentive for GP. When noobs find out about this website they will be eager to stay for the other leagues. With some real deadlines we won't need anymore extensions to the seasons because everyone knew they wouldn't be penalized for slacking.

More Games played, more replacements, quicker seasons.. Sounds better than extensions, nobody being replaced and seasons that fail to start.

Edited by PlabaxV2

Find a night or two that makes everyone happy, and make those league nights. Just like leagues in real life (hockey/bowling/pool/...) you set time aside on those evenings to attend - NHL94 leagues should be no different.

GENS CALENDER:

JAN - MARCH: BLITZ

APRIL - JUNE: SPRING CLASSIC

JULY - AUGUST: GDL

SEPTEMBER - NOVEMBER: FALL CLASSIC

Stick a couple of Survivor leagues in before Classics as warm-ups & every December a month long "World Championships" in a Soccer world cup format using the weight bug fix classic rom & Bob's your Uncle. Loads of league play going on all year round....................It ain't rocket science really is it?

could also try assigned opponents. make the schedule actually work like a schedule. you get 2 people to play each week, you have 7 days to get in contact with them and set up a time to play. if you can play opponents not assigned for that week, great. but that isn't an alternative to playing whose on your schedule. expand the use of the "schedule a game" forum, you hand out DNP's or forfeits on the spot at the end of that week, rather than at the end of the season.

Biggest issues on unplayed games is the fact that most of the draft leagues starts months after their draft. All the coaches are pumped up for gas right after the draft is done but shits hold on for months...so when the season starts we don't even remember who the ga we drafted, or what team we had.

start

blitzz

for

hokkes

sake

FREE BERETS

You have to remember that leagues are entirely community run and driven, on people's free time as a hobby. There's no administration outside of the individuals who run leagues and there is no rule that there are 3 GENS leagues (Classic, Blitz, GDL). If you wanted to isolate any "problem" with leagues, it's the fact that the creators and commissioners are no longer here.

Classic is Halifax and Chaos' league (I've helped out on the GENS side the last few seasons). It runs consistently and successfully each season. The past classic league: 93% regular season games played. 1,334 games logged by at least 67 different coaches in 6 weeks. I consider that pretty successful and it's because of the the administration of Halifax and Chaos, who have been running it forever.

Blitz was smozoma's creation. We all know smozoma is a '94 god, and that's why Blitz was super successful and lasted 7 seasons when he ran the league. (I assume the first 5 seasons were good, I only showed up in season 06). He put a LOT of time and thought into the league.

GDL was originally AJ's, then swos' took over, etc. They also had success through great administration.

The point is anyone can (and should be free to) start a league when they want. Lots of good ideas (survivor, 3 on 3, reverse, Weight Bug Fixed Classic, Dynasty, SNES Draft League, Capitalism, Beer league, GDL'93, etc.) are out there and a league will become successful if someone really puts the time and effort into running a league...for many seasons.

It's really that simple. There's nobody in charge and it's ridiculous to think we (who?) can force people to run a particular league within some sort of created calendar.

And at the end of the day, you can't prevent certain assholes from joining leagues and then quitting during the playoffs. And then complaining about the "problems" in leagues. They really ruin the fun for everyone else.

Personally, I also like the scheduled opponent each week that ProBob mentioned. Swos did that in previous GDL playoffs (maybe regular season too?) and it gets people moving. I would recommend something like that for anyone who wants to run a league. Smoz had draft and other penalties for missing deadlines, which was also a nice motivator for draft leagues that go multiple seasons.

Frey's point echoes my point about administration. GDL X and Blitz 08 (if it ever starts) lost tons of momentum because the league didn't start until months after the draft. Donch went MIA in GDL X and Blitz 08 hasn't had a good transition from smozoma. Again, it's a lack of league commissioners/administrators, not a defined yearly schedule, that is the root cause of any perceived problems you guys are talking about.

There's nobody in charge and it's ridiculous

to think we (who?) can force people to run a particular league within

some sort of created calendar.

Right On!

The point is anyone can (and should be free to) start a league when they want.

Right On again!

And at the end of the day, you can't prevent certain assholes from

joining leagues and then quitting during the playoffs. And then

complaining about the "problems" in leagues. They really ruin the fun

for everyone else.

Best point of all!

When I suggested a redraft for GDL X Freydey replied with:

"f**k this we spent what a month doing the drafts and the trades?? no way we redraft without playing it" - This post along with his other one above is a clear example of night and day. His statement above is obviously not truthful and it's an attempt to hijack the thread with Blitz information.

---------------------------------------

The clear reasons why games are unplayed are because :

1. Coaches are in more than one league and do not have the time / feel like playing all their games.

2. There is no real good incentive for games played.. We have a "deadline" system that never replaces anybody.. How many times have we seen coaches slack because they are not worried of being replaced?

---------------------------------------

This "hard-working" commissioner crap is ridiculous. Listen to this guy, he thinks that running a league is worse than field slavery.. Weren't you the commissioner of GDL X, a league which ran smoothly? What effort was needed? I did all the work and it was definitely EFFORTLESS. Out of all the commissioner work that was done for the whole season it adds up to 30 minutes tops, then there is the ROM. Which is easily done in one afternoon. Pretty easy for 4 months if you ask me.

I am having troubles finding where any of the posts have anything to do with people not being able to create leagues.. I don't think anyone ever said it, why would he mention it? Oops, forgot that it's kingraph talking. Once again the "NHL94 King" of manipulation is changing things around to his own benefit.

Funny that the same guy who demands that I do the Blitz website for him is saying it's ridiculous we think we can "force" people... It's something called ORGANIZATION.

Who can't prevent certain assholes? With kingraph it will always be either a block on AIM, a ban on the forums, an extension to a ban on the forums, a ban from leagues, a biased veto decision or a shady rule change to prevent something from happening.. Did you want your wife to have an abortion too? It is not appropriate that you of all people is saying that we can't prevent..

The one who hates on players who quit leagues and ruin the "fun" is the same guy who quit Dynasty playoffs and then complained about the GDL X playoff matchups. Not too far off from quitting your shitty classic league if you ask me.

Edited by PlabaxV2

yeah....because I didn't want to see the whole month of trades /drama posts /trade cries/ hokke freakness / and of course drafton lost for nothing DOESENT MEAN that most of the people lost their interest in GDL because of the large GAp between the draft and the SUMMER league...yeah IT MAKES SENSE PLABBER

that being said, whats up with blitz? before planning a schedule for the upcoming 5 seasons, could we get a starting date?? otherwise we will have to do the draft all again...u know..because of the interest thing.

really? so why can you post? ban him!

Since 2 vets seemed supportive of my idea above, I'll go into a bit more detail:

• You get 1 (I said 2 before, we'll keep it more realistic) opponent that you are scheduled to play each week. Each member of the league is sent their own personal schedule complete with dates and who they're expected to play each week for the entire 11 week (maximum) season. This way, you can plan ahead. If there's a week you know you'll be away, get in contact with the person you're scheduled to play and get those games played AHEAD (not after) of time.
  • On the forum each week, a full league schedule will be posted, stating all the matchups for that week. That will be where everyone will be expected to post their availability for when they're able to play their opponent. This forum is where the admin will check to see if a DNP or a forfeit should be enforced

What defines a DNP or a forfeit?

DNP = game went unplayed as BOTH parties were unable to clearly communicate a time to play, each player gets 1 point subtracted.

Forfeit = one of the 2 players did not communicate or make a legitimate effort through the forum to get a game played. The player at fault receives a 2 point deduction in the standings, the one who made the effort to play receives a "forfeited win."

Point deductions strictly enforced at the END OF THE WEEK, not at the end of the season.

Forfeited wins: when a player receives a forfeited win, they get credit with a win in the standings and the 2 points for a win. This counts towards their point total, but not their points percentage. Determining who makes the playoffs will be based on total points. Once the 8 playoff teams are determined, the playoff seedings will be based on points percentage.

So say someone receives 4 forfeited wins and goes 30-14. They would get 60 total points in 44 games, but the 4 forfeited wins would be taken out when calculating points % (it'd be 52 points in 40 games, or a .650 points%)

If people support this idea, I would gladly be the one to manage this aspect of the league. Thoughts are welcome.

Edited by PRoBob38

This "hard-working" commissioner crap is ridiculous.

This is why you have created so many failed leagues.

Funny that the same guy who demands that I do the Blitz website for him

Who "demanded" anything?

Did you want your wife to have an abortion too?

Seriously? You think this is an appropriate comment? THIS is why you get banned from posting on the forums. Not me.

As far as AIM, I signed on one day and you immediately bombarded me with nonsense, accusing the moderators of banning you because you were black. (worse language was used). It was so offensive, I really didn't want to deal with you. So I blocked you. You then whined and complained to 3-4 people asking me to unblock you. I did.

the same guy who quit Dynasty playoffs

LMAO...tell me, who is the season 1 Dynasty champ? Yet another failed league coming from the one who knows how to solve all league problems! LOLOLOLOLOL

I was not unbanned to post for Blitz. It is not my league so why would I have a starting date..

The entire reason Blitz is not starting is because you have no idea how the Blitz site works.

PRoBob's idea was exactly what was done when me and Vocally Caged were commissioners of GDL starting from GDL 6.

I have run leagues from 2001 and had develop this system over the years as these same issues came up. It seems like once there are new runners they all repeat the same mistakes and over the years develop something that works.

The gametime system (as we called it) worked extremely well. In GDL 6 97% of games were played, in GDL 7 99% and in GDL 8 97.7%. Playoffs were always played in time within a month. That's average of about a week per round.

Here are the gametime rules taken from this thread.

Here's the gametime rules:

For every week there's usually 3 opponents to play 2 games with.

For every game in the league there's a gametime.

Gametime for each game is the week the game is played in. Gametimes can be found at Schedule-page.

You are responsible for contacting your opponents VIA THE LEAGUE SITE and settle your gaming times with them
within the week you have your games.
You
can contact your opponents either using the contact dropdown menu from
the menu bar after you have logged in, or using the contact opponent
-link from the report game page.

If you fail to do so AND if the game isn't played after the gametime has passed,
YOU WILL GET POINTS DEDUCTIONS AFTER THE END OF THE SEASON!

All unplayed games will be dealt with after the regular season as follows:

If player A contacted player B during the gametime, and player B didn't respond, and the game hasn't been played
-> player A will get no points deductions. Player B will get 2 points deducted.

If player A contacted player B outside the gametime, and player B didn't respond, and the game hasn't been played
-> both players will get 1 point deducted.

If neither player contacted eachother, and the game hasn't been played
-> both players will get 1 point deducted.

If
both players contacted eachother as an effort to get the game played,
even outside the gametime, and the game hasn't been played
-> either player will get no points deductions as an effort to play the game from both were made.

If you are unable to play your games in certain week, make sure you'll inform your opponent about it
VIA THE LEAGUE SITE, and you can then play the games later without having to get points deductions.

Your every private message to your opponents can and will be viewed by the commissioners of
GDL (Vocally Caged & swos) in case the games haven't been played in time.

To ease up the load of games the schedule is designed so that you will usually have 2 games against
one opponent at once, so you will be able to play both games at the same time.

People who have fallen behind their schedule can be replaced by the players from the waiting list at any time.
When a new replacing player takes over a team, the unplayed games will be rescheduled.

When playing the games, please follow a good sportsmanship.

How about holiday tournaments that run like the week or two before the holiday and then have the championship on that holiday day or the day after?.....just throwing out ideas

someones getting senile...