NHL'94 Forums

jer_33's tournament rom

jer_33

Been thinking about this for a while. A tournament/playoff rom for use in weeklong or weekend tournaments. Standard rules, 5min periods, penalties on/no offsides, manual goalies.

Currently under construction and open to ideas.

Must haves:

* Roster corrections

* Pre-set 5min period lengths/penalties/goalies (done)

* Simple weight-bug fix (done)

* 1 minute penalties (done)

* 99min overtime period (done)

Debating:

* Y-button goalie patch?

* roaming goalies? (done)

nhl94(J33TourneyV1).bin

Edited by jer_33

why wouldn't you have the goalies on?

Goalies will be preset to manual, and I'm debating adding the y-button hack (and allowing them to roam - if it can be done).

ROAMING GOALIES! #letemroam

right, but on the Genesis the goalie control is awkward and delayed... why wouldn't you use the hack to add instant goaltender control? I mean for nostalgia or whatever you play the original ROM, but if you are making a hack I can't understand a reason for not fixing the major flaws in the original. goalie control and weight fail fixes are crucial. roaming is cool. I'd like to allow a bit more roaming in my ROMs. would you free them totally or just a bit?

It's second nature to most gens players - and the half second delay is something both teams deal with.

I haven't played much with the y-button hack, a league that had some difficulty getting everyone setup with the 6-button configuration for online play.

Personally I'm a fan of the Y button hack. It's #2 on my favorite hacks, next to weight bug fix.

Doesn't roaming goalies get weird with indestructible goalies going in for the score? I like giving them a little more room (ala Blitz), but not full roaming.

• 2 months later...

I attempted this rom back in November, but could never get the 1min penalties to function - the end result was always a non-functioning, black screen rom.

I started one today:

- used the playoff (99min OT) rom

- patched the simple weight-bug

- reduced penalties to 1 min

- added full roaming goalie control

rom is added to OP.

Nice work Jer.

I'm not a fan of Bo's Y button GC. I feel like i rely on the timing and have it down with the delay. Prolly better with the bug fix and just getting use to it, but whatev.