NHL'94 Forums

Defensive Awareness - Forwards & Defensemen

IAmFleury'sHipCheck

Somebody brought up the fact a year or so ago that it seemed like a bug: offensive awareness (contributing more offensively, making smarter plays) seemed to be switched with defensive awareness in the game, because guys with high offensive awareness hang back more and make safer plays. I did a little bit of research on it, the posts are in the archive somewhere.

Have to say I don't pay too much attention to it. Does seem like the Dmen with low Off aware hang back more. I think Off aware seems the decider. If a Dman has high Off aware he'll be forever joining the offensive plays on the blue line & charging forward on the PPs, but if he's got low Off aware he'll hang back more regardless of his D aware.

Slow Dmen also seem to take better D positions, perhaps purely cos they're not fast enough to move out of position so much as to hurt you.

For forwards a high Off aware I think makes them take up better open positions for 1timers, but then the top A players seem to be able to make the plays with lesser guys too. Who knows. I don't think D aware has too much impact on how much a forward will stay back. They all seem to defend more on PKs & a lot less on PPs, regardless of awareness ratings.

Just my opinions. Nothing to back it up

• 1 year later...

Def. Awareness: This attribute affects how much a player pays attention to protecting the defensive end of the ice. This includes better ability to take away passing lanes, lower susceptibility to being deked and greater effort on the back check , floor check or the technical work forechecking The ability applies To both forwards & defensemen. Players that excel in Def. Awareness are highly used on the penalty kill

Edited by Sid fish lips Crobsy19

Psycho Miller

If you are for real, and actually want to take the time to understand , learn , and practice it . I my self could be of huge service. As well Psycho it would help your game play out as well . Get back to me if you like . Good luck & definitely happy playing !!

CamKneely, on 26 Nov 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Somebody brought up the fact a year or so ago that it seemed like a bug: offensive awareness (contributing more offensively, making smarter plays) seemed to be switched with defensive awareness in the game, because guys with high offensive awareness hang back more and make safer plays. I did a little bit of research on it, the posts are in the archive somewhere.

I remember that post, it was referring to NHLPA 93. Apparently, offense and defense were switched in that game. But the bug doesn't apply to NHL 94.

The forecheck or as foreign couching call it floor check . I will give you a monument to to think why defensive play made in the offensive zone with the objective of applying pressure to the opposing team to regain control of the puck] Forechecking is generally executed in one of three situations: recovery of the puck after a dump in, after the rebound on a scoring attempt, or immediately after a turnover to regain possession. Forechecking can be aggressive or conservative depending on the coaching style and on the skating skills of the players. Aggressive forechecking strategies are more suited for players with good skating mobility, while more conservative plays such as the neutral zone trap are better suited for players with less agility.

Shall I continue there Psycho?

Possibility both in a way. But that's where you all would have your input. My reason being I played hockey in my life as well my self a totally obsessed fan of the NHL. My point is I have a tremendous amount of knowledge for the game and being a fan I feel I know a lot about players in the NHL. So my question is that help in anyway playing the NHL series? I did grow up playing the old NHL 93 threw 95 . I have no intention as coming of cocky or rude . I am most 100 % sure I would get my A ... handed to me from a lot of players on this website .as you can tell I am new too this website as well in a way a completely new sport for the gaming world . The hole idea in general of this website, actual leagues you can join to play its genius!!

My intentions was just to give my input to the question that was asked in the first place . I would be all in too learn how to join a possible league .

There is definitely others on this site that have similar, even better knowledge so again does that help at all during game play?

I think the original questions were not about hockey knowledge in real life, but that the game list numerous attributes through out the years in EA that didn't always translate to the same "in game" results.

So, here I firmly believe that defensive awareness & offensive awareness only translate to how high or deep a defenseman/forward plays given the initial position of the puck entering/exiting the zones. I believe the actual progression as the play further develops is more controlled by "at the moment triggers" (proximity to the puck, to other players, chances to check someone, etc.). Aggressive checking defenseman can find themselves out of position fast as they chase a guy to knock him down, regardless of his awareness.

One of my favorite plays to get a cheap penalty & stop a break away used to be as the puck started to pass me by out of the zone, my forward now almost being off camera & skating the wrong way, was to c check towards the defensemen/net. Bourque/Stevens/etc, aggressive types couldn't resist the counter check and would often get a penalty, killing the break away. On a rare occasion, I'd miss the d-men, and hit the goalie, getting a penalty while also giving up a goal!

I play a lot with Bourque, and lately both Bourque & Manson, as I have them in on my GDL team, and I laugh how often I catch them leading my break aways or worse, behind the opponent's goalie without me ever controlling them (this happens with me NOT carrying the puck with them either).

BUT, my point being, 95% of the time, their high defensive awareness (Bourque is 6 and Manson 5) has one of them parked in front of my net, but as the puck gets moving around, their aggression pulls them into other parts of the ice, and to me, the programming doesn't rank defensive or offensive awareness so high it overrides the "other" interactions.

I think these other interactions lead guys to believe that awareness doesn't work. It does.

Yes I totally understand NHL 94 lord .what is basically comedown to is that nhl94 lord asked his question in his comments box ., my self gave my input on what I know about the game cool . I totally see real life hockey to a existent in the videogame when I play ,as well my self is new to the website.

• 5 years later...

I Tried a test analysis of the La kings, giving the players first 0 defensive awareness (0-25) and in the second game 6 defensive awareness (99) overall. I saw a significant difference in the ability to intercept and B check the puck off the offensive teams sticks with 99 defensive awareness. I also found the defensive players retreated faster in transition  as in the first picture below.  

I also did the same for the offensive team. I found that 99 offensive awareness the players spaced out better on the ice for one timers. And that they scored more throw the puck to the net goals. 

C72A013B-DF48-474E-9364-A2C1CB36F73F.jpeg

2D9F4169-775C-4428-8677-A41A42D26183.jpeg

FEC65473-489C-4F62-AA69-2720FC981C03.jpeg

• Like 1