NHL'94 Forums

the SNES posts

I know bok has mentioned this before...and i actually love that there's a lot of hitting the posts in SNES. It's excitement and frustration wrapped up in a nice little ball.

Fank did a nice compilation in his recent video of snes puck dynasty league.

KAMENSKY!!!!!!

what's "a lot," exactly? I'd say I see about 1.8 posts per game on average. sometimes zero, usually one, often two, occasionally three or more. this seems a lot more realistic to me than the Genesis posts which only seem to have any solid hitbox on the outermost column of pixels, forcing most pucks that seem to hit the post get vacuumed into the netting or pushed back to the boards. the rebound angles from hit posts in the Super Nintendo version are much more believable. it put to y'all that it only seems like a lot because it is possible to hit the post unlike in the version you are accustomed to.

There is a set of moves that work a high percentage of times in the GENS that do not work in SNES, and one of the most common results of these failed SNES attempts is a hit post.

I think because of this, GENS players tend to "post" more about "posts" than SNES guys experience, and while I can't statistically verify it to date, I'd bet "us" GENS guys average closer to 4-5 posts a game at a minimum.

Great points however about the realistic puck bounces off the posts in SNES and the vacuum effect during a GENS game. I actually get MAD if I don't get my suction action during a game but on hind site, it is kind of whack, and I'd have to concede it as a point to you for this discussion's merit.

....one of the most common results of these failed SNES attempts is a hit post....

which moves that you normally rely on lead to lots of posts on the Super Nintendo?

which moves that you normally rely on lead to lots of posts on the Super Nintendo?

One timers, and "The Move" juke moves hit the post way too much. I'd say 4 or 5 posts per game is about right. And that's on average. If someone could figure out a way to make about half the posts that happen on SNES bank in I'd be happy.

I do agree with your point that Genesis has way too many "magic bullet" shots that should be posts, so the problem is really the complete opposite. People just don't b***h as much when they shoot wide and score compared to when they hit 5+ posts per game I guess lol.

hmm... I don't seem to hit posts with "the move."

It depends on the angle. In snes there are 'guaranteed' posts, that if you play long enough you know will happen. It can happen on the move if you go especially wide. It can happen on one timers as well if the angle isn't there, or if its Mark Osborne with in open net in overtime in the classic final series.

Gens guys who arent used to my be surprised when they hit posts that snes vets would just see as having no chance of going in.

It depends on the angle. In snes there are 'guaranteed' posts, that if you play long enough you know will happen. It can happen on the move if you go especially wide. It can happen on one timers as well if the angle isn't there, or if its Mark Osborne with in open net in overtime in the classic final series.

Gens guys who arent used to my be surprised when they hit posts that snes vets would just see as having no chance of going in.

Thanks for this...I was already thinking along this path. As a GENS player I probably hit more posts in SNES than a natural SNES player because I'm taking those shots that are more likely to hit posts!

Still...those posts. Wtf, each time. Lol.

I love hitting the posts, it gives it a sense of realism to me. I think, depending on my team, I hit them 2-5 times per game. I am not a gens player at all, so maybe I'm just bad :)

Yeah it gives realism.. I've watched so many NHL games and I've never witnessed so many posts in all but maybe three of them. Give me a break

well, for how freaking large the puck is on the screen in the orignal games, how could you not hit the post pushing that Frisbee brand flying disc around? there may be a slightly inflated number of posts hit on the SNES, but I think the dearth in Genesis is the notable flaw. an internet serach lead me to a rough estimation that NHL fans report/expect 2-6 posts per game.

well, for how freaking large the puck is on the screen in the orignal games, how could you not hit the post pushing that Frisbee brand flying disc around? there may be a slightly inflated number of posts hit on the SNES, but I think the dearth in Genesis is the notable flaw. an internet serach lead me to a rough estimation that NHL fans report/expect 2-6 posts per game.

Provide the link?

too late. I already closed the links. I don't care if you believe me. I watch approximately four NHL games live each week. I estimate the average at about three. SNES games might average about four. Genesis probably has one or less.

Yeah it gives realism.. I've watched so many NHL games and I've never witnessed so many posts in all but maybe three of them. Give me a break

I don't know what to tell you. I watch a lot of hockey and they do hit the post 2-5 times per game (if we're using that as the average for SNES). You have to take into account that players in the NHL also miss the net entirely and that really doesn't happen much in 94. Obviously there are some terrible shooters, but most shots go on goal, even if they're barely moving.

I tried a quick search to see if anyone has attempted to track shots on post, but no one has.

I don't know what to tell you. I watch a lot of hockey and they do hit the post 2-5 times per game (if we're using that as the average for SNES). You have to take into account that players in the NHL also miss the net entirely and that really doesn't happen much in 94. Obviously there are some terrible shooters, but most shots go on goal, even if they're barely moving.

I tried a quick search to see if anyone has attempted to track shots on post, but no one has.

Yeah, I've actually taken into account that it's also not obvious every time a player hits the post, sometimes it deflects of the goalie and just skins the post.. Still, it's not like in SNES where I'm averaging 5 posts a period lol. I remember game 3 vs Grayto in Juiced. We must have hit 8 posts each, ridiculous.

you average five posts per period and one time you even hit eight posts in a game. you are an idiot.

yeah, he averages fifteen per game, but once he got a total of eight in a game! and people think I make stuff up to disparage a version of the game.

Yeah I mean we get that the posts are a little too frequent, but don't just throw out garbage numbers like averaging 5 per period. You know that it's never that bad. I doubt I've ever seen a game have more than 10 total posts.

Also, I would bet that any numbers you get about real games hitting posts would include pucks that graze the outside of the post, shots that had about a 0% chance of going in (like a shot from a bad angle) and hit the post, and ones that hit the post and go in. I think the SNES posts are especially frustrating because they all bounce back in front, making it seem like it was a perfect shot until it smacked the post dead on. I've said before that if somebody could figure out how to make about half the shots (maybe 1/3 of the shots) that hit the post hit it then go in the net then it would be good.

you average five posts per period and one time you even hit eight posts in a game. you are an idiot.

If you read my post correctly I stated that Grayto and I hit 8 posts each.

Most of my goals come from pass shots and pass shots are always hitting the post on SNES, one time I hit eight posts in a game? I can bet you that I hit 8 posts in a game at least 10 times in my SNES C season. In a game with fenty (SNES A) we combined for 6 posts in the first 1:25 of the period, all in one shift!

Edited by PlabaxV2

you average 15 posts per game for your team and once you and you opponent combined to total 16! keep digging that hole.

Actually with doing pass shots it makes sense that you'd have a ton of posts. I've tried to figure out pass shots on SNES before but no matter how hard I tried 9 out of 10 "shots" that felt like they were good enough to be goals on Genesis hit the post.

you average 15 posts per game for your team and once you and you opponent combined to total 16! keep digging that hole.

Look at the TROLL go! 16 posts combined isn't the highest I've seen, the most ridiculous game I've played in just happened to have a total of 16 posts. Keep trolling bud!