NHL'94 Forums

Wrap arounds

Calling the skate-across goal "cheap" is an excuse for poor defense. You should have your defensemen positioned so that someone cannot score on you like that.

And... if you are good with manual goalie, you will be able to stop this scoring chance as well. I don't believe there are any cheap goals in NHL94.

I agree, complaining about it is evidence that your defense needs improvement or prolly sucks.

We call it the fade, I hear some of you call it the cut. Faking it and flipping it behind him, call it the reverse fade/cut. BUT DON'T CALL IT CHEAP, say UR DEFENSE needs work. Either activate, poke check, hook, or expertly use your defense men, you have options. You can even check, but checking a TANK like Wayne or Jeremy, is for noobs, is usually NOT a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree, complaining about it is evidence that your defense needs improvement or prolly sucks.

We call it the fade, I hear some of you call it the cut. Faking it and flipping it behind him, call it the reverse fade/cut. BUT DON'T CALL IT CHEAP, say UR DEFENSE needs work. Either activate, poke check, hook, or expertly use your defense men, you have options. You can even check, but checking a TANK like Wayne or Jeremy, is for noobs, is usually NOT a good idea.

I still say it's cheap. Well, maybe it's how some people employ it that's cheap. I rarely get scored on this way, but I hate it when people try it OVER and OVER and OVER again. That's why it's cheap: people do it over and over again because they have nothing better. It really makes the game boring (though it does help bring my bodycheck stat up). If you need the walk-across in order to score.. you need more practice and creativity/spontaneity, and I don't know how you're having much fun playing.

How can any goal be cheap? If someone is doing wrap arounds on you, do it back to them. Everyone plays by the same rules!

I consider it like the trap in the NHL: within the rules, but .. yaaawwnn...

The 'cheap goal' as I call it, could be called a flaw in the game, also, there is that split second right before someone scores that you are not able to grab manual goalie. Just means that you should grab the manual goalie most of the time. I think it's a cheap goal when you play against the computer. If you playing against a person, they just gonna have to try and stop it.

• 10 months later...

I'm suprised this discussion died so quickly. I think this is relevant as the Nostalgia league is coming up and I've yet to play in a league game so I'm worried about how desperate people will play when it comes down to it.

Keep it clean guys. ^_^

I don't see how this can be done

disallowing cross crease goals in online league play.

There will always be border line cheap goals getting scored.

So who makes the call?

Verbal wars could break out.

So it's every goal is aloud.

We all play NHL94 because it has the best manual goalie control in the world.

So any goal can be stopped.

post-269-1183007648.jpg

I personally believe if you play well enough you can defend against all goals, so I really don't think the "cheap" goals should be disallowed in the leagues and such.

And you know... When I saw the title "Wrap arounds", the only thing I could think of is this...

screen1su1.png

Guest Wags13

Saying ANY goal scored in the game is "cheap" is simply admitting you aren't mature enough to take the fact that you were scored upon.

The goal counts, get over it, and get your own "equaliser" to borrow a soccer term.

On second thought, you know what? Every time someone scores a cheap goal on me, I'll spend the rest of the game emulating your goals. Then we'll see how fun this great game can be... :angry:

Once everybody plays against each other enough in zbattle.It could work.

I see how Case would want a clean game once in awhile maybe not in league play.

When someone scores a cheap goal you call it out and then your able to

try as many wrap around/cross crease goals until you even the play up.

But in league play Case they are probably going to try and score on you any way they can.

post-269-1182923052.jpg

I think that with the use of manual goalie...everything can be defended against...so there are no cheap goals....although if you score on BSDaemon...he'll note that the goal was 'lame'....:)...see you online!

Guest Wags13
On second thought, you know what? Every time someone scores a cheap goal on me, I'll spend the rest of the game emulating your goals. Then we'll see how fun this great game can be... :)

i think u are gay.

Wags are you trying to start a fight? What is with the name calling?

Case has a girlfriend.

Calling people gay or mental just isn't the point of this website.

Why are you thinking about gay stuff anyways?

I couldn't imagine going to a topic and picking a guy and posting

that he is gay what a waste of time and very negative.

I'm morning the death or Chris Benoit and his family.

Your calling people names.

Please stop it and be more positive. I think everybody here is cool

because they like NHL94. So be happy and say nice things. :)

post-269-1183203146_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm suprised this discussion died so quickly. I think this is relevant as the Nostalgia league is coming up and I've yet to play in a league game so I'm worried about how desperate people will play when it comes down to it.

Keep it clean guys. :)

Did I not warn that this would happen!!???

I finally understand the problem about the "flaw" or the "cheap goal."

the only people who complain about this are the Genesissies. I forgot, for a while, about the problem with the Genesis version: the twenty-second delay before the goalie is activated. you have to press and hold a button combo (I really don't care which ones; f u c k Genesis) and wait for the goalie to become the active player. this allows the other player time enough to skate down to your end of the ice, go against the boards, cut across the goal and score. you finally have the goalie activated in time to watch the puck bulge the twine. lame.

SNES is the answer here, folks; nothing is cheap, everything can be saved.

good luck with your Genesis. hehe.

the only people who complain about this are the Genesissies. I forgot, for a while, about the problem with the Genesis version: the twenty-second delay before the goalie is activated. you have to press and hold a button combo (I really don't care which ones; f u c k Genesis) and wait for the goalie to become the active player. this allows the other player time enough to skate down to your end of the ice, go against the boards, cut across the goal and score. you finally have the goalie activated in time to watch the puck bulge the twine. lame.

i'm not sure if you noticed, but case plays SNES

well, then he is a chump I'd love to play. there is nothing cheap about a cut-across on SNES; just f u c k i n g save it! pretty easy. I'd do this all the time if he's not going to make a save attempt. you aren't going to score any of those on me.

Wow, who spiked your fruit loops this morning?

If you want to argue over which system is best, how about presenting a well thought out and organized list of pros and cons compared to the Genesis instead of attacking everyone who plays the Genesis version, mkay?

how about presenting a well thought out and organized list of pros and cons compared to the Genesis instead of attacking everyone who plays the Genesis version, mkay?

You forget, logic and rationality have no place in a holy war!

If you want to argue over which system is best, how about presenting a well thought out and organized list of pros and cons compared to the Genesis instead of attacking everyone who plays the Genesis version, mkay?

I couldn't find the link, but didn't clockwise do a little "experiment" of comparing Genesis NHL '94 and SNES NHL '94?

(and btw, Genesis won :) )

I couldn't find the link, but didn't clockwise do a little "experiment" of comparing Genesis NHL '94 and SNES NHL '94?

(and btw, Genesis won :) )

yes an experiment done by a guy who likes genesis...no disrespect to clockwise of course but hardly a biased opinion dont you think?

simple fact is....you can't convince someone who loves genesis that SNES is better and you can't convince someone who loves SNES that genesis is better.

To borrow a quote from jeff94rules1......"respect that it's '94"

At first glance, the delay in the goalie control does seem pretty lame. But when you take it a step further, it becomes a big differential in the strategy of the game. Primarily due that you have to anticipate your opponents moves ahead of time and make those necessary adjustments. By no means am I saying that this way is better or that the SNES way is worse, they're just different.