NHL'94 Forums

Major bugs: SNES vs Genesis

Which bug is worse?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which bug is worse?

• Weight Bug (GENS)
    • Get Up Bug (SNES)
    • Neither, they both add something to the game

OK, I'm pretty much just going to open up more of a SNES vs GENS flame war with this, but I really do want to talk about it.

I've been playing SNES for the last few months since GENS has been in a bit of a lull with GDL and Blitz both between seasons, and I've really liked a bunch of the features that Genesis doesn't have. The Y-goalie control itself is a great argument as to why SNES is better, but then you add in a choose side screen before the game, the abort game option which is nice, and the fact ZSNES is way better than GENS in so many ways. I also really like that it's definitely got a different feel in gameplay (lots due to the lack of a weight bug) but it's still somewhat familiar to Gens and in my opinion it's a great game.

But both games have their downsides. Obviously there's the weight bug. Trudatman loves to call out the "weight fail" and it is a major bug in Genesis. (Go read about it http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/14282-genesis-weight-bug/ )

But then there's the get up bug in SNES. For those of you who don't know what that is, it goes like this: If you get checked over, all you have to do is hit the A button (it's the Y button on SNES... but Genesis is the controller I use lol sorry SNES guys I just go by the Genesis controller look it up) and your player magically gets up and often hooks the defenseman who just checked him over and took the puck, leaving the guy who just made a great check hooked and then open to get knocked over himself. Some people might argue that this feature adds an additional aspect of gameplay. It really does, and if used correctly then you get a huge advantage. To be good at SNES online you need to use it. I use it all the time.

But you know what? You guys who defend the get up bug sound just like the Genesis guys who like the Genesis B-button delay goalie control! Both of them are not something that the game should have, except for a problem. In SNES it's a bug, and if Genesis had a 6 button controller back then you bet we would have had Y button goalie control and L/R defense control set to X and Z. That is proved because they had more buttons with the SNES 94 version and did those things that with them.

Anyway, I just wanted to take a poll on which bug you think really is worse, the Weight Bug in Gens or the Get Up Bug in SNES. Or maybe you just love imperfection because it builds character and puts hair on your chest or something, so I made that an option in the poll too.

Im not going to vote due to being an "snes lover" but here's my take of the equation.

there is a huge difference between the weight bug and the getting up bug, the weight bug is "cosmetical" whereas getting up is more ... operational.

anyone who plays gens (from my biased understanding) grows up with the weight bug, and should know all the teams... the only thing weight bug has is that you cant score with lemio in the slot.

the "get up" bug on the other hand, has a completely different purpose. it takes knowledge/skill to use it, and to use it effectively. an additional problem, is that the getup button in snes is also the holding button, depending on the type of mode it is (pens/no pens). and how quick it goes from being down to up and holding again

it can really be a pain to deal with, (mind you, if you constantly switch players, you cant access the one on the floor) (dont quote me on L/R selection)

SNES does have its problems...

in terms of the bugs though, in my biased opinion, both are marginal, because people adapt, they somewhat do add something to the game, but its not on purpose. so I would pick the getup bug for being so unrealistic... (loweightbug xD)

Hmm, I think I would much rather have the weight bug fixed in GENS than the getup button. Both suck, but a weight bug fixed version of GENS gets closer to the greatest hockey video game of all time while fixing the getup button just gets you SNES. Lol.

I'm glad that Raph agrees that the weight bug is worse.

post-457-0-80552200-1389101181_thumb.png

I voted that the weight bug is worse as well. And I applied this to a real world situation becuase this game is 100% reflective of real life.

The other day I was at the hockey rink taking my daughter skating when I noticed this 10-year old kid racing around the rink. He came right at me and I tried to side step because I thought "If he hits me, hes going be in a world of pain", but sure enough we collide and I go down hard. He looked at me and said "weight bug, b***h". I wanted to get up right away and throw his ass over the glass, but I left my snes controller at home. That 'Y' button sure would've came in handy that day.

Side note: I noticed that on the sleeve of his hockey jacket it said "FPB".

• Haha 4

The get-up bug doesn't seem that bad to me. It's funny because you can totally misuse it and screw yourself if you're not good with it. The weight bug just "is." You can't avoid it or anything. You can just have a gentleman's agreement not to use the get-up bug and that problem no longer exists.

I never use the 'get up' feature and am not too bothered when another player does. It's kind of cheap, but on the hand it requires presence of mind and anticipation to do. Also, it isn't like it magically transforms a hit against you, into a regaining of puck possession.

....the "weight fail"...is a major bug....

and it needed to be fixed.

....the 'get up' feature....

could maybe use an adjustment where a calculation is made about how soon after the hit the button can lead to the player getting back on his blades. certainly skilled and anticipitory/reactionary players should not be forced to wait for an always the same period to end before being available. what percentage of the time do you think the quickly sprung player is particularly helpful to the play? the dude hooks and holds with his knees wobbling. he's clinging to anything upright, even if it is just a wish. if you do it well and/or get very lucky you might prove useful in the play.

accidental feature versus accidental failure.... even with the strong GAnesis representation factor, I think the better system will win the "less buggy" votes around here. you know, because of facts.

Weight bug totally kills def. In GENS you have to pick always the non-heavy guys (even if their skillset sucks) if you want to keep up with your opponent.

Get up bug is "kinda" realistic: check a big hits compilation: even after a big hit players tend to get up quickly and not laying on the ice for secs (only in the case of injury). Holding is an other point of view: we can pretend that its a personal revenge between the skaters (because of the lack of fighting :D :D ) and with penalties on you can get a holding call easily. Plus as it was mentioned before: you need to be aware when to use it and sometimes people forgot about it so its not a big deal as weight bug.

People let the weight bug bother themselves too much. Think of it like this :

Most people here would have never known there was a weight bug without being told so.

This is certainly a great reason for proving why the weight bug isn't as bad as the SNES hook cheese. Growing up people definitely knew the get up control was a glitch while people would have never guessed there was a weight bug. It only seems bad to us now because the weight stat is heavily overrated here.

I was one of the guys who became obsessed with weight (look at GDL X) and I ended up with a dramatically disappointing season, I really was in the perfect position to win the league until I wasted 2 out of my first 3 picks on mediocre players because they were light.

Another thing to note is that the weight bug does not make the players WORSE. Lemieux is still 100 OVR and he certainly still is a top player.. Just like how Ray Bourque and Paul Coffey are the top d-men in the game even with the weight bug.

Edited by PlabaxV2

The other day I was at the hockey rink taking my daughter skating when I

noticed this 10-year old kid racing around the rink. He came right at

me and I tried to side step because I thought "If he hits me, hes going

be in a world of pain", but sure enough we collide and I go down hard.

He looked at me and said "weight bug, b***h". I wanted to get up right

away and throw his ass over the glass, but I left my snes controller at

home. That 'Y' button sure would've came in handy that day.

This is Classic. Best quote ever on this site.

Great games bugs and all, I don't care.

Personally I am grateful for 31 flavors of Ice cream even if I always eat Chocolate Chip.

Did I just read that the get up bug was "realistic" Kashim? You're on drugs, hallucinogens to be more specific. Nobody takes a big hit in the open ice (in real life) and gets up immediately, yes they get up but it takes a couple seconds unless you just got hit by Scott Stevens, in which case you probably aren't getting up. There's nothing realistic about getting checked to the ice, popping up instantaneously, then hooking the player who just laid you out.

I voted get up bug because I don't play gens, but (as far as I know) the weight bug can be hacked, the get up bug cannot. The GUB is incredibly unrealistic and frustrating, and although I've gotten used to it from playing online, I still hate it.

Haha. Northway native is off trudatman's xmas card list!

The weight bug doesnt negatively affect gameplay at all, it just means the names you know like Mario dont play as they should. In NHL 92 you don't care about the weight bug cos the players don't have names, all you knew was it played great!

The other SNES bug I hate the sound of is tje penalty shot one where the puck magically floats across into the stands & you can't take your shot? Sounds insanely irritating! That's the one Trudatman is always complaining about & saying how it ruins the game............oh, wait.........

I seem to get screwed with all of the SNES bugs when I play HeatRash/Kero5hin, but he never gets them.

Examples:

The puck going from BEHIND the net, INTO it somehow. Usually when a goalie or defenseman takes it and turns toward center ice when they're too close to the net.

Puck frozen in the stands on a penalty due to my player being injured on a penalty shot, resulting in no attempt and (obviously) no goal.

Penalty shot SKIPPED entirely for no real reason? I don't even know how this one happened, it just flat out skipped a PS.

Ive voted both buggs add something to the game since your talking about emulation play here and the weight bug can be fixed anytime in gens, thanks to smoz. However, I really don't get how the weight bug could ruin the game now that we all know how it works. I think it really adds something to the strategic part of the game, especially for the draft: who will have enough balls to pick guys like hull or muller? Its just inverted goonage at the end.

Major SNES bug: when u go behind your own net in gens, I really like to use the lob the puck button because it allows you to get the rebound from the net and start a rush..tried this couple of times on the SNES, from behind my own net and the puck mysteriously managed to get thought the netting, the whole play ending in an own goal....and this is the only reason why king won snes H lg....YEAH SERIOUSLY

Edited by Freydey
  • Haha 1

....and this is the only reason why king won snes H lg....YEAH SERIOUSLY

:lol: This, and you were hitting so many posts I almost couldn't breathe from laughter. The highlight of which when you drilled one off the crossbar about 4 inches away in front of an open net.

To me, the biggest bug I hate more than anything is the "pass shot" through the goalie legs from half ice, blue line type thing.

You see it WAY more in GENS, as the goalie delay switch can make it difficult to get to it. Basically, if you don't control the goalie from dead on, that pass shot goes in a very high percentage.

I can rate how bad a bug is by this:

If we were playing on a console in the same room, how many of your own teeth would you be counting if you did that "bug" against me??

The pass shot ranks ahead of the get up as I knock you out, but not very far.

A weight bug to me is just a change in play style, and not that bad. You can use it as a KNOCK against the actual game comparisons, but its quite playable, and some can even find it to add an wrinkle to the strategy.

the injury on a penalty shot and a few other penalty shot bugs are annoying, but they are extremely rare. the shoved in from behind the net one is billshittery, for sure, but is also very rare; does anybody every try to score that way? the Genesis has the huge bug where the tiny dudes steamroll and the big guys are made of thin sheets of frozen penguin piss. it also has that EXTREMELY obnoxious pass from the faceoff failure; those go in like, what, 92% of the time? with the superdelay selecting the netminder, it's a travesty. I love the get up button. I didn't know about it for many years (how?!), but it was very exciting to implement. I think the biggest issue with the SNES version is that when you change the lines the fatigue bars don't reflect those alterations. that SUCKS. this is a great thead. I don't do xmas, but we can start a Y-button celebration.

the injury on a penalty shot and a few other penalty shot bugs are annoying, but they are extremely rare. the shoved in from behind the net one is billshittery, for sure, but is also very rare; does anybody every try to score that way? the Genesis has the huge bug where the tiny dudes steamroll and the big guys are made of thin sheets of frozen penguin piss. it also has that EXTREMELY obnoxious pass from the faceoff failure; those go in like, what, 92% of the time? with the superdelay selecting the netminder, it's a travesty. I love the get up button. I didn't know about it for many years (how?!), but it was very exciting to implement. I think the biggest issue with the SNES version is that when you change the lines the fatigue bars don't reflect those alterations. that SUCKS. this is a great thead. I don't do xmas, but we can start a Y-button celebration.

llololololollo 92% of time?

i bet u wouldnt be able to do it a single time vs me in 92 games lol

To me, the biggest bug I hate more than anything is the "pass shot" through the goalie legs from half ice, blue line type thing.

You see it WAY more in GENS, as the goalie delay switch can make it difficult to get to it. Basically, if you don't control the goalie from dead on, that pass shot goes in a very high percentage.

I can rate how bad a bug is by this:

If we were playing on a console in the same room, how many of your own teeth would you be counting if you did that "bug" against me??

The pass shot ranks ahead of the get up as I knock you out, but not very far.

A weight bug to me is just a change in play style, and not that bad. You can use it as a KNOCK against the actual game comparisons, but its quite playable, and some can even find it to add an wrinkle to the strategy.

It does not go in at a very high percentage.. What are you talking about? It's happened to me no more than twice in the 10000+ games I've played here, I still don't understand where this comes from.

maybe I'm wrong. literally every time I've seen it attempted, it went in. granted I don't play much Genesis and certainly nobody I've played with would encourage that move.

let me ask these questions:

1. if, with the original game, the faceoff winner passes straight forward with a quick passer, do you have time to get the goalie and move him enough to not have it go five hole?

2.if the goalie doesn't move, how likely is the straight pass to end up in the net?

It goes in almost 100% in the '93 version, which I've been playing recently, so perhaps I'm mentally still angry about that and applying those memories over to '94.

I think there is JUST enough time to grab the goalie, and a vet who has played as many games as you have would probably always get the goalie in time to stop it from going through. I know the first time someone did it to me, I did not switch & it went right through.

You could test it if you really wanted to. I've found if I don't grab the goalie, it goes through his legs. The ones of to the left or right side of the goalie down' go through his legs, as they HIT his legs/pads/gloves.

It's not like you get a ton of opportunities to be at mid ice with a straight line from you to the goalie, minus a break away, where the other player is preparing to grab the goalie already anyhow.

maybe I'm wrong. literally every time I've seen it attempted, it went in. granted I don't play much Genesis and certainly nobody I've played with would encourage that move.

let me ask these questions:

1. if, with the original game, the faceoff winner passes straight forward with a quick passer, do you have time to get the goalie and move him enough to not have it go five hole?

2.if the goalie doesn't move, how likely is the straight pass to end up in the net?

The frequency depends on the goalie -- Roy and Belfour rarely give them up vs Young or Casey, for example. Right off the faceoff, you can fire a pass shot straight down, but it's unlikely to score. The best person I've seen do this maneuver consistently is Zalex. He would carry the puck up the ice and fire it at a slight angle, though still landing at the center of the goalie, and it would be blazing fast, so you had to be quick as hell to try to do anything to stop it from potentially going in five-hole.

This is also not a bug per se, it's just a pass shot down the center, much like a slapper. But you can get ridiculous velocity from a pass from center ice.

I'm not the best at stopping these with manual goalie so maybe someone else can comment, but it seems the best thing to do stop this shot (and five-hole slapper) is to switch to manual, let the puck hit the goalie, and if it starts to squeak through, then hit save. If you hit save right away, the puck goes in the same as auto goalie.

And yes...'93 is a completely different story. With save percentages in the roughly 33% range (based on the Hitz finals stats from the videos I just looked up...and that was Roy and Belfour, lol), goalies are COMPLETELY useless.

I always liked how if your goalie misses his pass in GENS (not sure about NES), you can no longer change players - you are stuck as goalie until you make a save to retrieve the puck - or get scored on.

I voted that both glitches add to their respective games, as at the time there was really nothing you could do about it.

Now today that's a bit different, and the Blitz roms probably play a lot more like the creators intended.

Edited by jer_33

• 5 years later...
On 1/9/2014 at 2:03 PM, jer_33 said:

I always liked how if your goalie misses his pass in GENS (not sure about NES), you can no longer change players - you are stuck as goalie until you make a save to retrieve the puck - or get scored on.

Seen this bug many times in 2on2. When the goalie get's locked like that, you lose your team mate, or your opponent loses his. Only thing you can do is hope for a goal or a stoppage if you're the one locked to the goalie, because you can't control him. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not thread-worthy so I'll leave it here:

Was curious to see what the 3 Stars of The Game would be if there were no goals, assists or shots and the game ends in a 0-0 draw. The address error thingy comes up and then the game crashes as soon as the game ends.

Kinda-sorta-cool. Just thought I'd let you know. I'll go, now. Bye.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Terry yake scored 246 goals in 93\94 simple math would tell u that....the crazy part was that brian leetch was benched and lead team in scoring that night lol