NHL'94 Forums

Starting goaltenders ...

JT_Dutch

... A few questions regarding goalies in NHL '94:

1) Is there info within a savestate file which indicates which goalie was the starter in case a goalie is pulled?

2) Is is just me, or do backup goalies never seem to start games? I remember backups starting quite a bit in NHLPA '93.

3) Have any of you seen the CPU pull a goalie during a game? I've played countless games and can't seem to remember even one instance of it.

Many thanks in advance!

I'm too tired to think about your first question, I never saw the second one in 93 or 94....but yeah I've seen the computer pull the goalie. They usually do it when they're down 2 goals late instead of 1. I guess the brilliant CPU coach minds think "Nothing to lose now, we're down 2" but they're deathly afraid of risking a 2 goal deficit when down 1.

For your first question:

Normally there's nothing in the savestate to tell you when the goalies played, other than their shots and goals against, and their Time On Ice (hidden stat).

However, my plus-minus stat tells you all players (and goalies) on the ice for each goal, so it's possible that way to deduce who started the game using that.

In the SNES version, as far as I know the CPU will never yank the starter no matter how many goals you put up. But they will always pull the goalie in favour of the extra man as long as there is less than a minute left in the game, they have the puck in your half, and they're down by 1-2 goals. It's automatic.

In the PC version (it's been a while) I remember the CPU would pull the goalie if you scored a certain number of goals, which was more realistic. Also, in season play the backup might start some games (not sure about this).

... Thanks for the responses. My apologies - I should have been more clear about what I meant, which was seeing the CPU replace a starter with the backup in the midst of a game.

For your first question:
Normally there's nothing in the savestate to tell you when the goalies played, other than their shots and goals against, and their Time On Ice (hidden stat).
However, my plus-minus stat tells you all players (and goalies) on the ice for each goal, so it's possible that way to deduce who started the game using that.

... Ah, why didn't I think of that? I have your plus-minus mod (it's magnificent) and that'll definitely work well enough at providing that info.

... Thanks for the responses. My apologies - I should have been more clear about what I meant, which was seeing the CPU replace a starter with the backup in the midst of a game.

... Ah, why didn't I think of that? I have your plus-minus mod (it's magnificent) and that'll definitely work well enough at providing that info.

What if a backup starts, then switches? You have no 100% method to figure out.

Edited by PlabaxV2

What if a backup starts, then switches? You have no 100% method to figure out.

Right, you can deduce that the guy who got scored on first started the game, but you don't know for sure.