NHL'94 Forums

Glitch goals (pass shot goals) should they be allowed in 94 leagues?

hokkeefan

I know this hasnt been brought up but I dont think this is part of the game and should be banned from 94 leagues.
Lets ban this and play the game the way it was meant to be played and it will balance out the field ALOT more.
Glitching in every other game is not allowed n frowned upon ,so why do we allow it here.

All the goals in NHL94 can be prevented though, there are no ultimate glitches that you can really do nothing against. I always thought of the pass shot as more of a "wrister" even in the old days of NHL Hockey on PC. Banning goals would deteriorate the skill coming in to play. I don't like the dump from behind the net one, saw Swos try that a couple of times against me in the Finnish christmas cup, but it doesn't seem that effective either and even that can be defended. =)

All the goals in NHL94 can be prevented though, there are no ultimate glitches that you can really do nothing against. I always thought of the pass shot as more of a "wrister" even in the old days of NHL Hockey on PC. Banning goals would deteriorate the skill coming in to play. I don't like the dump from behind the net one, saw Swos try that a couple of times against me in the Finnish christmas cup, but it doesn't seem that effective either and even that can be defended. =)

exactly, hokkee is just unhappy because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

my father kgman raised me well, and taught me to never use pass shots

Learn how to GC Fokkee. I hated them too, till i learnt them lololol. Its a skill, and for the revord ur cheezy push down slapper is prolly the cheeziest one yet,

ban turning away from a check because it's not fair that when I want to check a guy I am not always able to do so. ban Tampa Bay because I have trouble seeing their lighter jerseys against the too colorful ice. ban the use of the timeout because it breaks my concentration. ban sober participants because I cannot relate to their coherent declarations. ban taking control of the goaltender because it allows players to do more than the computer would do to stop my shots.

Banning things from games (especially video games from the 1980's and 90's) is a valid option.

If you don't want to ban something that is fine, but it is also valid to ban things.

Some examples.

Real sports

The NHL bans kicking the puck in the net. It is a skill but will still be ruled no goal.

Hand passes, holding, tripping, offsides, slashing, etc.....

The NFL bans forward passes beyond the LOS.

Pass Interference, Targeting the Head (a skill for sure), etc....

In our pick-up games of shinny hockey we ban checking.

It is still fun and still hockey.

In our neighborhood football games we ban tackling and blocking.

It is still fun and still football.

I hear handicaps make golf more fun.

Not that I play that game, seems like a waste of good pasture land to me, but I digress.

Video games

Most Tecmo Super Bowl Leagues ban using D-Lineman as any play can be destroyed by lunging with them off the snap.

Many RBI Baseball leagues ban curveballs because it is more fun playing straight pitch.

In NHL Hockey 92 we banned ramming the goalie goals.

In NHLPA 93 we do not allow the deke move. Which by the way in my opinion makes it a great game.

Banning things can make games more FUN.

We have a large group of guys who have been getting together in person and playing all these great video games together in person since 1991.

We have special rules and bans for each one.

The best one is making the best players play with poor teams.

One thing I would love to see is a ban on good players using good teams.

Let KingRaph play a season with Florida and give the lesser players Chicago and Detroit.

Then you could have a 26 team league and not worry about A/B etc...

Also on the Tampa jersey thing Boise State was banned from wearing all-blue unis on their home Blue Turf for exactly the reason you stated.

Edited by CoachMac

The whole point sailed right over Coach's head... Making best players play with poor teams is not "FUN". You and your 55-year old geezer friends clearly don't understand the art of gaming.

Your chances of winning with Florida are 0.01% at best, why would someone like kingraph want to do that?

It's a game of goals, the point is to try and score more than your opponent. If another player has more ways to score, then you need to up your game.

Banning things from games (especially video games from the 1980's and 90's) is a valid option.

If you don't want to ban something that is fine, but it is also valid to ban things.

Some examples.

Real sports

The NHL bans kicking the puck in the net. It is a skill but will still be ruled no goal.

Hand passes, holding, tripping, offsides, slashing, etc.....

The NFL bans forward passes beyond the LOS.

Pass Interference, Targeting the Head (a skill for sure), etc....

In our pick-up games of shinny hockey we ban checking.

It is still fun and still hockey.

In our neighborhood football games we ban tackling and blocking.

It is still fun and still football.

I hear handicaps make golf more fun.

Not that I play that game, seems like a waste of good pasture land to me, but I digress.

Video games

Most Tecmo Super Bowl Leagues ban using D-Lineman as any play can be destroyed by lunging with them off the snap.

Many RBI Baseball leagues ban curveballs because it is more fun playing straight pitch.

In NHL Hockey 92 we banned ramming the goalie goals.

In NHLPA 93 we do not allow the deke move. Which by the way in my opinion makes it a great game.

Banning things can make games more FUN.

We have a large group of guys who have been getting together in person and playing all these great video games together in person since 1991.

We have special rules and bans for each one.

The best one is making the best players play with poor teams.

One thing I would love to see is a ban on good players using good teams.

Let KingRaph play a season with Florida and give the lesser players Chicago and Detroit.

Then you could have a 26 team league and not worry about A/B etc...

Also on the Tampa jersey thing Boise State was banned from wearing all-blue unis on their home Blue Turf for exactly the reason you stated.

Some of the examples don't make sense and are out of context. It's like we who wouldn't approve banning any scoring are all in for players being able to use their hands in soccer as well (Maradona anyone?-)), not the case. It's still ice hockey and there are no ultimate unrealistic glitches in the game, manual goalie can stop it all and ultimately your defence. Having bans in goals would most likely change little to nothing in the results. Like I stated before, to me pass shot is still more like a wrister as with normal shot you can basically do only slap shot or snap shot, you also tend to get some accidental pass goals sometimes when the other wing goes faster than anticipated and behind the net. One could also argue that B-check is a glitch, but realistically it's not. With B on defence you change player, you poke and you trip (it could actually have more meaning, it does the checking emotion even with B towards the boards occasionally, moar complex game than ever thought!). But it's usually a tripping call always when you get a penalty for that. It just makes sense that way and why weight bug doesn't affect that. :) Plus when you think of real hockey, go try and imagine how a proper saucer pass is made, now imagine yourself making a wrister. You can only do a pass goal when there are no players on a certain degree from the puck and direction you use B, this mostly applies to breakaways. Game could be even more complex than we thought! :)

And now something that purely comes out from experience from other games. I'm all in for newer players having cups of their own with certain rules, but in smaller communities like this it only brings trouble and creates parity which leads to destruction of the community eventually. It's a 20 year old game and there is some elitism involved and it might take a while for newer online players to catch up, but it's all worth it and there are exceptions, just watched the TK Klima video as well coming from a newcomer and winning GDL on his first season. Props! :)

I do agree that better players should play with worse teams, but that's usually adjusted by drafting isn't it (at least in the NA leagues).

Edited by Depch

Sorry Hokkee, the fact is pass shot goals are here to stay so figure out how to defend them. I think if we started putting the Y-button goalie control hack into all the Gens ROMs it would go a long way towards defending pass shots with an instant goalie control button. But the popular opinion around here seems to be that holding a button for a short period of time is a skill and should be a part of the game :glare:

When I first started one of my first games was against Habs and he was killing me with the pass shot and I had never seen it. After the game we chatted, told me what it was, how and when to use it and some ways to defend it and I was golden. I think when you have people that share things like that it's fine but if you are killing rookies with it and then won't help them at all that could be an issue.

just watched the TK Klima video as well coming from a newcomer and winning GDL on his first season. Props! :)

Thanks man! I just re-watched it and checked, and only 2 of klima's 91 goals were pass shots. So my video and gdl cup should be hokkee approved :D

pointless ever bringing anything up with you fn guys,i cant win against the EVOLVED game theory ,be proud,you evolved cheating,and why is a slapshot between the legs of a goalie a cheat? scoring between the legs is something that can actually happen,not pointing your stick in a certain direction and passing.Were just all fing stupid to let passing a goal into the net become a normal thing when ITS A FRICKEN GLITCH.I know alot of us play new consoles and that s**t is cheating.Anyways thats all i have to say about this ...GAME ON PRICKS !!

oh and kabs ,yes thats hokkeee approved,you play 94 again or you still using your other name hehe

pointless ever bringing anything up with you fn guys,i cant win against the EVOLVED game theory ,be proud,you evolved cheating,and why is a slapshot between the legs of a goalie a cheat? scoring between the legs is something that can actually happen,not pointing your stick in a certain direction and passing.Were just all fing stupid to let passing a goal into the net become a normal thing when ITS A FRICKEN GLITCH.I know alot of us play new consoles and that s**t is cheating.Anyways thats all i have to say about this ...GAME ON PRICKS !!

oh and kabs ,yes thats hokkeee approved,you play 94 again or you still using your other name hehe

the morality is on the new consoles the best cheeser is crowned and plabax IS #1at nhl'94

Edited by Houly

The whole point sailed right over Coach's head... Making best players play with poor teams is not "FUN". You and your 55-year old geezer friends clearly don't understand the art of gaming.

Your chances of winning with Florida are 0.01% at best, why would someone like kingraph want to do that?

You or I using Florida vs a newb or most of the C league guys using any other team would win over 50%, imo. I think skill is 70-80% of the game, the team 20-30%.

I'm not a big pass shot guy either and I rarely do it. I know what you mean about pass shots being overused. It does feel like it takes something away from how the game was intended to be played. I'd love a draft league that was the a classic ROM with weight bug fix and the Y goalie hack where pass shots were banned. Anyone volunteering to make this happen? :P

Since starting a new league is a ton of work, I guess the easy choices are: deal with it, quit, or join the dark side (again) and play SNES where pass shots are not very effective. But then again you didn't like SNES either..

You or I using Florida vs a newb or most of the C league guys using any other team would win over 50%, imo. I think skill is 70-80% of the game, the team 20-30%.

No way skill is 80% of the game, cut it down to maybe 65%.. If skill was 80% there's no chance I'm going to game 7 with Icestorm in GDL X.

Edited by PlabaxV2

No way skill is 80% of the game, cut it down to maybe 65%.. If skill was 80% there's no chance I'm going to game 7 with Icestorm in GDL X.

90% skill 10% gay

Hokkee doesn't understand what "glitch" means. cheesy? almost. slightly unfair? I could understand the rationale for such an argument. glitch? not even kind of. a glitch is when the goalie suddenly looks like a forward or when the net hops out of the penalty box and freezes in the neutral zone.

if using a passing motion to trick the goalie is a glitch, explain Dennis Seidenberg to me, Drunkkee.