NHL'94 Forums

Hi everybody

DominikJagr

Hi everybody.

Been reading this forum for more than six months as an unactive member, before starting posting in other threads I think it's the right time now to introduce myself here.

My journey to NHL 94 is very different to most of you I guess. I played NHL 94 for SNES or Genesis in July 2013 for the first time and have been playing it on a regular basis since then. I grew up with ZX Spectrum computer in 80s and then switched to Commodore Amiga in 90s, unfortunatelly there were no quality ice hockey games so I was very jealous when NHL Hockey was released for PC in 1993.

I purchased PC in 1997 and NHL 97 was the first game I bought for this system and spent many days playing this one. Year after I bought NHL 98, then NHL 99, had a break from gaming for five years and in 2004 I became interested in games again.

During winter 2004 I went back to NHL games I'd played in the past (97-99) and tried ones released between 1999 and 2004 but did not enjoy playing them so I tried NHL Hockey (the original one) for PC and was very disappointed with it too. I still think this game is overrated, its not imo nearly as good as its Genesis and SNES counterparts. So no ice hockey game I really enjoyed and wanted to play every day for weeks and months was available to that date. Yes, I am very picky about video games and especially about sports video games.

I probably thought SNES or Genesis version of NHL 94 is not very differrent to the PC version so I did not give them a try at all. My fault.

Finally, the first ice hockey computer/console game I really enjoyed was NHL 07 for PS2. I played it with my uni's friend on one friday evening around xmas time in 2006 and on the very next day I went to the store and bought PS2 console and NHL 07 :-D I was hooked, this game was fast like ice hockey games should be and I had a feeling I had full control over my players and about passing, in previous versions something always went wrong. Of course I bought NHL 08 and NHL 09 in upcoming years and both played very often then.

During the last year's summer I was going through my collections of ROMs for various 8-bit and 16-bit consoles and tried NHL 94 on both Genesis and SNES. These games, especially the SNES version, blew me away. The playability and gameplay were great and I spent next few days playing both of them for several hours a day, as well as previous (NHLPA) or later (95-98) NHL games too. For various reasons, which I do not want to post here to avoid flame or endless discussions about which version of NHL 94 is better, I chose the SNES version as the one I would play exclusively in the future.

Surprisingly SNES is probably the only console from all those well-known consoles and computers (PSX, PS2, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, Xbox, Amiga, PC, Genesis and many others) I've never owned :-) I've been huge ice hoceky fan for thirty years, am retro-gaming enthusiast (own ten different gaming/computing systems and other four I owned in the past) and played probably the best ice hockey video game (released in 1993) in 2013 for the first time! That is something beyond my understanding :-) Better later than never.

Cheers, DJ

Edited by DominikJagr

Welcome! I've never owned an SNES before either haha. Actually, I've never even played NHL 94 on a real SNES before. Glad you'll be playing SNES, but just because Genesis is a little inferior doesn't mean you have to write it off completely. I really enjoy playing both versions. But that's just me :)

Welcome bud! I'm a GENS guy myself but I'm sure I'll see you on. The site is awesome, well ran, great guys and alot of fun!

Thanks guys for your warm welcome!

Welcome! I've never owned an SNES before either haha. Actually, I've never even played NHL 94 on a real SNES before. Glad you'll be playing SNES, but just because Genesis is a little inferior doesn't mean you have to write it off completely. I really enjoy playing both versions. But that's just me :)

When playing Genesis version I feel like I am cheating myself :D

Seriously, I like both versions, just SNES one I like a bit more and enjoying it more. It is more hockeyish for me. Maybe it has something to do with my habits from NHL 07-09 as these games are more similar to SNES version - hitting opponents very often, accurate passing, scoring not so often, players turning quickly and not like "underpowered hovercraft" (©smozoma) - than Genesis one I think.

Seriously, I like both versions, just SNES one I like a bit more and enjoying it more. It is more hockeyish for me. Maybe it has something to do with my habits from NHL 07-09 as these games are more similar to SNES version - hitting opponents very often, accurate passing, scoring not so often, players turning quickly and not like "underpowered hovercraft" (©smozoma) - than Genesis one I think.

yay quoted :D

Also, didn't NHL07 on the PS2 have NHL94 in it, but without real player names?

It was NHL 06 having NHL 94 in it, and with no original rosters, yes.

From wiki:

The developers of the game placed a surprise in the PlayStation 2 version; playing NHL 94
is an option, and it appears the same as it did when it was originally
released, including the appearance of the since-relocated Winnipeg Jets, Hartford Whalers, and Quebec Nordiques.[1] The game did not feature the original rosters.

I skipped NHL 06 so I missed NHL 94 again :lol:

welcome. you seem enthusiastic and knowledgeable. it's nice to have more dedicated SNES guys. if you have the interest and motivation, I could use general and/or specific help with my ROM updates. you've been posting for a day and you've already come through huge multiple times.

Thank you everybody.

I definitely plan to play online but not earlier than in April, I am busy with the real life now and have problems with my main PC, I am using old slow notebook these days.

Is possible for European people to play games versus guys in US/Canada? Isnt the game too laggy?

An european player!! :o Welcome on the board man!!

Is possible for European people to play games versus guys in US/Canada? Isnt the game too laggy?

Absolutely not, thats the magic of being an snes player :D

Yeah the ZSNES emulator really is awesome. We've got people from New Zealand, Sweeden, Mexico and really all over the world who play with no issues. Just as long as your internet is fast enough it should be good.

• 11 months later...

Het Im a snes player add my Aim: RaddeKladde1 im from sweden,

I added you to the snes aim blast group

lots of buds in there to play...boom!