NHL'94 Forums

Hamachi Issues

LA Robbie

Hey guys, hope someone can help me:

With certain players (Probob, Labs & I think Brutus) we play like 2 & a bit periods & then we get a data timeout causing a desync. Then the other players dot goes orange to signify "unreachable" on hamachi for like a minute, then comes back to blue. We play again, same thing happens'...........every game without fail.

Have uninstalled then reinstalled hamachi - no difference.

Any help would be appreciated as servers are an awful option for me here in Mexico & since moving to Mexico city the ping I get is even worse than before

I know swos and I have done this before and it worked nicely, but instead of using hamachi you can always do a straight connection using your IP addresses in Gens.

Right. I forgot about that. Thanks. Do I need to configure my router before I do that though?

Robbie -- here is smozoma's port forwarding guide:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/11567-port-forwarding-guide/

I haven't done this myself, so can't help with any questions.

Are you sure it's hamachi, and not your internet connection? I'd run a few tests on www.pingtest.net to see what grades you're getting with your connection.

91863923.png

Last night, I was unable to play Probob, as we had just the worst Hamachi connection.

2 minutes later, I was able to play Jer33 w/ NO issues. No lag, banged out 4 games w/ no desynchs.

Some nights, it seems Hamachi just doesn't want two guys to play.

That direct connect wasn't so easy for me. I tried a few times and failed, and got half way through router settings to have static IP addresses, etc, and gave up on it. BUT, back then, I was using wireless connection, and not plugging directly into my router. Once I heard I could stop having desynchs by plugging in directly, I stopped trying to reconfigure my computer to do the direct connect.

I'm not sure if the fact that I was also wireless was adding an additional level of complications to using direct connect over Hamachi or not.

And ONLY one guy needs to be setup for the direct connect, the host guy, if I remember correctly.

But, to connect back for the other teams home games, you would need them setup for direct connect as well, with the firewalls disabled, and the Static IP/Router setup properly, if I'm correct.

So, if the guy you are having issues connecting w/ is a computer idiot, at least get in half your games.

In SNES Puck Dynasty, I was playing someone whose Hamachi kept going yellow every 5 minutes or so, which shuts off your connection with each other. In SNES, the game pauses, not desynchs and you can save states real easy, so we didn't have to keep starting over, as you would have had to in GENS, but were able to just re-load from the stopped spot.

We were able to finish our 4 games in like 8 blocks. Slightly aggravating but livable. In Gens, it would have been a game over, play another night type thing.

The odd part was he had to keep updating or doing something with his Hamachi software to get it to start up again. I didn't do anything on my end for any of the changes, so I'm not sure what he was doing, but I'd assumed the error was also on his end since he was able to fix it. Perhaps, I could have been doing the same thing on my end to stop the yellow whenever it happened, not exactly sure.

Also, I don't know if that helps anyone figure out what happens there, or stop it from happening, but figure I'd "report the incident".

To be clear, this is beginning of last year when I first found the site, and was not actually playing any of you online yet. I was playing my local friends via Hamachi, and trying to get around the desynchs, so we were trying to get the direct IP connect to work. I didn't find out about plugging directly into the router to avoid desynchs until I joined the Classic last spring, and it worked well enough for me to not go back to trying it.

I was stating that I was using wireless at that time because I don't know if that added an extra level of complications to setting this direct IP connect or not.

It wasn't an easy 5 minute thing to do for me at that time, required router passwords and all kinds of jazz I didn't have in front of me at 1 am and it was painful enough for me to NOT have gone back to find out since.

But, I do plug my computer into the router before I play, and once in a blue moon, get one fellow I can't connect to, despite being able to connect to all the other dudes online through Hamachi.

Edited by Brutus

Had a thought: With port forwarding set up I can play my home games, but I need the other guy to have port forwarding set up to play away games right? I'm only solving half the problem.

I now have Probob, Brutus, Labs66 & Chaos on the list of people that I can't play on Hamachi because it just desyncs from a data timeout in the 2nd or 3rd EVERY game

I've had issues w/ Gretzkyonacold of late, but don't recall playing you LA Robbie. In fact, unless you were in GDL, I don't ever recall playing you at all, ever. Not saying we wouldn't have those above Hamachi issues if we did play.

We can test it some time this week if you want.

My connection w/ Probob the other day was not a desynch issue, just straight lag. He's always had some lag though.

• 2 weeks later...