NHL'94 Forums

Translating Statistics to Player Attributes

simba

Has anyone found consistent data beyond reputation to support player attributes in the game?

I know that some of the goalie stats seem to correlate with GAAs and Save %s for the season, as well as shooting percentages, but for less tangible attributes like speed and agility, shot power, passing and puck control, and especially Awareness, is there any correlation to statistical data for these games? I'm curious as to how EA determined attributes as well as how people rate players in their own game edits.

I used leaguewide and in-team skills contests to determine some shot power and speed ratings near the top (Chara's shot power at 100, a couple of guys who competed but fell short of 100 MPH at 85; similar pulls from timed skating races), but mostly relied on reports from people that were confident ranking their favorite teams. the key there was finding common ground between teams, which involved some guesswork. I use awareness to boost guys with low skills in the other statistical categories that seem to dominate anyway. I used them in reverse to keep the lazy players like Alex "controller disconnected" Ovechkin from being 100s overall due to their underused skills that otherwise overwhelm the overall rating. checking stats are kept by the venue staff at each rink, so that's a tough way to compile what you'd need, so there's another wildcard rating. agility needs that opinion action that experts/fans can help you to identify, but it takes persistence and a membership at a popular hockey messageboard of which you'd be willing to risk suspension through aggressive data collection; hfboards helped me tremendously when I started my first major hacking project which involved (almost) the full league. I asked for agility, speed, stick/puck control ratings of 0-5, asking that almost all professional hockey players receive ratings in the 2-5 range. let's see... reputation/aggression I crunched using penalty minutes factored by time on ice. pass/shot bias I generally used a comparison between assists and shots taken and time on ice. passing factored that previous rating and assists and time on ice. it's an art, really. I use a lot of paper and a calculator and my girlfriend for assistance. we'll be doing it again after the trade deadline, so feel free to hit me up about it now and/or later to discuss it further, if you'd like. I love my system and I'm always trying to improve and simplify it.

if it was weighted within the team, that would be better, but I imagine it's league wide. am I right?

In NHLPA 93.

DEF AWARENESS = Plus/Minus Rating

Which is a bummer because guys like Guy Carbonneau who won the Selke in 92 got lower ratings then say Vincent Damphousse.

Lame. And based on the observed goalie ratings, a lot of the attributes seem contrived :/

I used leaguewide and in-team skills contests to determine some shot power and speed ratings near the top (Chara's shot power at 100, a couple of guys who competed but fell short of 100 MPH at 85; similar pulls from timed skating races), but mostly relied on reports from people that were confident ranking their favorite teams. the key there was finding common ground between teams, which involved some guesswork. I use awareness to boost guys with low skills in the other statistical categories that seem to dominate anyway. I used them in reverse to keep the lazy players like Alex "controller disconnected" Ovechkin from being 100s overall due to their underused skills that otherwise overwhelm the overall rating. checking stats are kept by the venue staff at each rink, so that's a tough way to compile what you'd need, so there's another wildcard rating. agility needs that opinion action that experts/fans can help you to identify, but it takes persistence and a membership at a popular hockey messageboard of which you'd be willing to risk suspension through aggressive data collection; hfboards helped me tremendously when I started my first major hacking project which involved (almost) the full league. I asked for agility, speed, stick/puck control ratings of 0-5, asking that almost all professional hockey players receive ratings in the 2-5 range. let's see... reputation/aggression I crunched using penalty minutes factored by time on ice. pass/shot bias I generally used a comparison between assists and shots taken and time on ice. passing factored that previous rating and assists and time on ice. it's an art, really. I use a lot of paper and a calculator and my girlfriend for assistance. we'll be doing it again after the trade deadline, so feel free to hit me up about it now and/or later to discuss it further, if you'd like. I love my system and I'm always trying to improve and simplify it.

I've been trying to find ways to better utilize advanced stats to come up with ways to more accurately compare players to one another, as well as teams to one another.

I have a few sources to work with, such as Hockey Abstract, which has a lot of data that can be compared for individual players. However, I'm still trying to find a good way to minimize teammate influence on a player's results, a good example I feel is the influence Crosby has on Chris Kunitz, who statistically is one of the league's top players, but who is more of a complimentary player.

Perhaps starting from a broader team standpoint may help find useful results.

Ratings are obviously biased towards offensive players in these games, if we take into consideration shot attempts for and against, it should be fairly easy to assume a combination of skills translates to a certain statistic fairly accurately.

Obviously there is no single correct way to evaluate these stats, but I figure there is a way to get close where you can run the game on demo mode and get results that are comparable to what is actually observed, even if it isn't perfect. The game clearly is offensively biased, so I'm also interested in finding the best way to create good defensive teams, and minimize offensive skills, as with teams like the Devils.

Generally speaking, I figure teams that show a higher Corsi% have higher speed, agility, Awareness, and passing skills than their opponents. Teams that give up fewer shots and block a high percentage of shots may not be as fast, or have the puck moving skills to clear the zone, but are highly defensively aware.

As for scouting players for specific skills such as shot power and speed, I've found the scouting reports on The Hockey News for each player page to be fairly useful in comparing expected skills and formulas I try coming up with to validate data.

In NHLPA 93.

DEF AWARENESS = Plus/Minus Rating

Which is a bummer because guys like Guy Carbonneau who won the Selke in 92 got lower ratings then say Vincent Damphousse.

Is offensive awareness possibly related to total points?

Is offensive awareness possibly related to total points?

Worse than that it is based on pts per game.

Andy Brickley 100 OFF Awareness for 27pts in 23 games.

While I love 93 overall and the 0-15 ratings. 94 ratings are much better and less statiscally based.

The most Def aware players (Selke winners) play against other teams top line and often don't have the best +/-. Carbonneau in 92.

Stats are not a good way to do ratings. Gretzky is a 77 in 93. Kevin Stevens is a 75. 2 of the top 3 scorers. Brett Hull is an 82. He had 70 goals while Mike Gartner gets a 94 for 40 goals.

I am making a 93 rom using modified stats from 94.

The worst one is Shot ACC based on shooting %. Look at all the guys who get great accuracy. Kelly Buchberger 100. Ray Bourque 40????

Any way ratings drive me crazy and don't get me started on Igor Kuperman and the Russian bias.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15324-igor-kuperman-and-the-russian-bias/?hl=%2Bigor+%2Bkuperman