NHL'94 Forums

The NHL '94 experiment

Throughout history, mankind has sought to find the ultimate hockey video game. While this journey may have ended in 1993 with the advent of NHL'94, one question remains: which is version is the best?

The National Video Game preservation society, (NVGPS) in conjunction with Adopt a Game; a non profit organization that provides homes for neglected and abused games, have employed I, clockwise, to conduct an experiment to conclusively determine, once and for all, which edition of NHL '94 is gooder!

Fortunately, the aforementioned sponsors have given me complimentary access to the ultra high tech instrumentation required for the exiperiment, while I have provided the specialized laboratory (aka my basement) to facilitate this high profile study.

Here are the tools that will be implemented for the exiperiment:

- Genesis / Snes systems and NHL'94 carts

- Latex gloves; to prevent cross contamination between versions during the experiment

- Yuengling Black & Tan Lager; to ensure that the test runs smoothly

- centrifuge with test tubes and beakers filled with water tinted with food coloring; for effect

- Herrs ruffle potato chips; cause a man gotta have his chips

- monocle and white lab coat; so I look smarterer while performing the study

With all the elements in place it's time to commence the analysis.
All facts will be presented, and at the duration of the experiment the points will be added up to determine the victor. May the best version win.

#1. Genesis version has harder hits: the hits in the Snes version appear"nurfed. For instance: when a player gets decked and injured in the snes version he just sort of lays down as if he was in a lazy boy recliner. 1 point for Genesis

#2. Genesis version has a better siren to signify a goal: How was this left out? Someone really dropped the ball for the Snes version. 1 point for Genesis.

#3. Snes has better hat trick animation: when the hats fly on the ice it looks way better on the Snes version. 1 point for Snes.

#4. Genesis has better intro music: Best. Song. Ever. I want to be buried to this tune. The Snes intro music is cheesy, plus you have to wait for the puck animation before you can start the game. 1 point for Genesis.

#5. Genesis has reverse replays: It's cool to check out a sweet goal from an opposite angle. Considering the Snes version was released after the Genesis version, there is no excuse why the Snes version doesn't have it. 1 point for Genesis.

#6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.

#7. Snes players have blades on their skates: Genesis skaters float on magical booties. Genesis crew had 3 tries and still didn't add blades to skates on untill '95. 1 point for Snes.

#8. Snes has better arena SFX: When the puck caroms off the glass and stuff like that it sounds better on Snes. 1 point for Snes.

#9. Snes players have tape on their sticks: 1 point for Snes.

#10. Genesis rinks have better center ice logos: Snes ones look like they were made with a Fisher-Price, 'My First Airbrush kit'. 1 point for Genesis

#11. Geneis version has better game play: Mostly due to the better frame rate. This is what makes or breaks any game. it's the most important part of the experiment which is why the winner of this issue is awared 2 points. 2 points for Genesis.

#12. Genesis players have faces: Snes players have no emotion because they have no f**king faces. Stupid. 1 point for Genesis.

#13. Snes has better ice color: 1 point for Snes.

#14. Snes version hase better bench graphics: Nice touch. Still, they could have added a goal judge to light the lamp. 1 point for Snes.

#15. Genesis goalies skate: On Snes they hover around the ice. 1 point for Genesis.

In final analysis, It was a arduous experiment that, in the end, required two Yuengling Black & Tans. A true testiment to the fortitude of this game. But which version prevailed?

Final score: Genesis 10, Snes 6

Gensis version is triumphant! *Band plays*. Snes hung in there but couldn't go the distance.

~gg

Now that's what I call an experiment. All of the necessary tools were there, hence your conclusion accurate.

Good show.

What a crock!

First of all most of these so called points of yours are MINOR ideas and have not much to do with what makes this game great, the play control. Long live SNES...

#1. Genesis version has harder hits: the hits in the Snes version appear "nurfed", for instance: when a player gets decked and injured in the snes version he just sort of lays down as if he was in a lazy boy recliner. 1 point for Genesis

Harder hits? Have you not nailed a guy so hard that you go flying back halfway across the ice? That kicks sooo much ass. Try pressing the 'Y' button after. That is so hilarious.

#2. Genesis version has a siren to signify a goal: How was this left out? Someone really dropped the ball for the Snes version. 1 point for Genesis.

What are you talking about? Turn on the sound and listen for yourself. Also look behind the net when you score. That red thing spinning around is called a GOAL LIGHT.

#3. Snes has better hat trick animation: when the hats fly on the ice it looks way better on the Snes version. 1 point for Snes.

Whatever.

#4. Genesis has better intro music: Best song ever, I want to be buried to this tune. The Snes intro music is cheesy, plus you have to wait for the puck animation before you can start the game. 1 point for Genesis.

Also whatever. Personally I never have the sound on. I just listen to some Coverdale/Page or other kick ass music. But there are some who care, but again, whatever.

#5. Genesis has reverse replays: It's cool to check out a sweet goal from an opposite angle. Considering the Snes version was released after the Genesis version, there is no excuse why the Snes version doesn't have it. 1 point for Genesis

Gotta give you this one, kick ass.

#6. Genesis has highlights from other games: kick ass feature, I love watching these. Even though it's a novelty thing, it still rules. 1 point for Genesis.

So does SNES. Are you ok? B)

#7. Snes players have blades on their skates: Genesis skaters float on magical booties. Genesis crew had 3 tries and still didn't add blades to skates on Genesis untill 95. 1 point for Snes.

More nitpicking. Give me better play control anyday.

#8. Snes has better arena SFX: When the puck caroms off the glass and stuff like that it sounds better on Snes. 1 point for Snes.

Again minor. If we'd all cared about graphics and sound so much we'd be playing the newer s**t games.

#9. Snes players have tape on their sticks: 1 point for Snes.

You can SEE that? :P

#10. Genesis rinks have better center ice logos: Snes ones look like they were made with a Fisher Price "My First Airbrush kit". 1 point for Genesis

See #8

I'll get back to this one.

#12. Genesis players have faces: Snes players have no emotion cause they have no f**king faces.. stupid. 1 point for Genesis.

Again with the graphics! :o

#13. Snes has better ice color: 1 point for Snes.

What can I say? :D Its very minor, I don't know whay they both weren't just white.

#14. Snes version hase better bench graphics: Nice touch, still they could have added a goal judge to light the lamp. 1 point for Snes.

Enough with the graphics already!! :blink:

#15. Genesis goalies skate: On Snes they hover around the ice. 1 point for Genesis.

Uh, ok? :huh: I love the goalie contol on the SNES. Without it I wonder just how long this game would have lasted. As for hovering around the ice, I thought it was the Genesis version that didn't have skates! :P But at least this is a concern of some substance.

And finally...

#11. Geneis version has better game play: Mostly due to the better frame rate. This is what makes or breaks any game. it's the most important part of the experiment which is why the winner of this issue is awared 2 points. 2 points for Genesis.

Quite simply, I dispute this. I diagree, I just can't believe it. Not you, I believe that you really believe in your game, but about the two games playability. Are we all so brainwashed into our inherent systems that we cannot see otherwise? I used to think this. But not now. I've given the Genesis version many tries over the years. Its not the same at all. It just feels wrong. I can't make any plays I want to make, the passing is unreliable, the control seems jittery, the whole feel is just wrong. Alot of you guys out there may simply prefer the feel of the Genesis, but for me, its play control is very limiting. Why is this? Its simply a different game. I'd be willing to let it fall into second best territory, but who wants to play the second best game in the world when everything you could want in a game(control-wise obviously) is here in the SNES. They are two very different games and always will be. I could play for the rest of my life and never get the same type of goals from the Genesis as I can from the SNES. Just look at these plays again if you have to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w3YVF4KxBXQ&search=nhl%2094 (shameless plug). Prove me wrong! Genesis guys start recording your goals. I want results. NHL 94 highlight menagerie extravaganza and NHL94 highlights 2003 Olliz remix (NHL 94), I'm sorry, it just didn't do it for me. Not to be mean, or to show off for that matter. It is simply not NHL94 to me. OK for what they are, but no 94.

So clockwise, your ultimate test, is for me, flawed. I don't look at it the same way you do.

As for your "high profile study", it seems it was as well executed as the Bush Administration's investigation into the supposed 9/11 muslim attacks.

94!

Uh, ok? huh.gif I love the goalie contol on the SNES. Without it I wonder just how long this game would have lasted. As for hovering around the ice, I thought it was the Genesis version that didn't have skates! tongue.gif But at least this is a concern of some substance.

The genesis goalies skate? Uhm, yeah.. Maybe cause they get knocked halfway around the arena just because you shoot at them. They bloody have to skate to "maybe" get back into goal.

I don't see any of those points proving much.. And what does it matter, some people like one version, some the other... Personally I don't like either graphics, sounds or gameplay in genesis. I'd much rather play EA Hockey, which at least looks that bad because it's old, took them until 95 to change the looks of it on genesis...

It's not that I don't like genesis. Actually I prefer all other versions on genesis than 94, where the snes version is far superior for my tastes.

Bo let's see some highlights.

What does Bo know?

He know's he's playing the wrong system. B) Ha ha ha.

Fine Bo.

It's a matter of opinon.

3 buttons. Ha ha ha :blink:

THE SUPER NINTENDO CONTROLLER.

THE MOST COMFORTABLE CONTROL EVER CREATED!!!!!!!!!!

AND IF ONLY THEY ADDED FAKE PASS, DROP PASS, FAKE SHOT AND BLOCK SHOT AND INSTANT REPLAY IN THE NET AND REVERSE INSTANT REPLAY LIKE GENESIS.

EA:

WAKE UP!!!!

post-269-1148564699_thumb.jpg

post-269-1148570902.jpg

Sorry to puncture your '94 balloon, but Snes is a diluted version, and, the experiments margin of error is in the vicinity of .001 % and .0001 %. Somewhere between those numbers lie your arguement laugh.gif.

First of all most of these so called points of yours are MINOR ideas and have not much to do with what makes this game great, the play control. Long live SNES...

The facts of both versions had to survive the gauntlet of issues before them, no issue is "minor", primarily beacuse the games are identical for the most part, hence no details are to small.

Harder hits? Have you not nailed a guy so hard that you go flying back halfway across the ice? That kicks sooo much ass. Try pressing the 'Y' button after. That is so hilarious.

This has nothing to do with harder hits. Mute issue. 1 point for Genesis biggrin.gif .

What are you talking about? Turn on the sound and listen for yourself. Also look behind the net when you score. That red thing spinning around is called a GOAL LIGHT.

All I hear is a wimpy "beep" after a goal. But perhaps my game is defective. Or perhaps Genesis versions kung-fu is stronger..and there is no horn at the end of a period, just a feeble wistle..Lame

So does SNES. Are you ok? unsure.gif

Im talking about the CPU playing the CPU during intermissions. Not, scores from other games. Of all the Snes '94 games I've ever played not once have I seen this.

Enough with the graphics already!! blink.gif

Had it not been for these "minor" graphical enhancements Genesis would have shattered Snes versions glass jaw early in the 2nd round during the experiment.

Uh, ok? huh.gif I love the goalie contol on the SNES. Without it I wonder just how long this game would have lasted. As for hovering around the ice, I thought it was the Genesis version that didn't have skates! tongue.gif But at least this is a concern of some substance.

Visually their legs don't move outside of attempting a save. I support all handicapped people, but I don't want a paraplegic defending my net.

Quite simply, I dispute this. I diagree, I just can't believe it. Not you, I believe that you really believe in your game, but about the two games playability. Are we all so brainwashed into our inherent systems that we cannot see otherwise? I used to think this. But not now. I've given the Genesis version many tries over the years. Its not the same at all. It just feels wrong.

This is not objectional. The FPS (frames per second to the layman) is higher, this is a fact, play is down by contact and can not be challenged with a red flag biggrin.gif . This is why Genesis's version has more fluid animation and controls, and why there is a 1/10th of a second delay with the controls on Snes.

I could play for the rest of my life and never get the same type of goals from the Genesis as I can from the SNES. Just look at these plays again if you have to: (shameless plug). Prove me wrong! Genesis guys start recording your goals. I want results. NHL 94 highlight menagerie extravaganza and NHL94 highlights 2003 Olliz remix (NHL 94), I'm sorry, it just didn't do it for me. Not to be mean, or to show off for that matter. It is simply not NHL94 to me. OK for what they are, but no 94.

The vid I slapped together was playing alone. The CPU won't go where I want it to like when playing next to a teammate, you can't direct traffic when playing alone.

As far as performing plays like these against a elite player online...Most of the passing lanes will be clogged by a good defensive player. You may get some tic tack one timers, but doing these kind of plays on a consistent basis is not feasible against a veteran.

As for your "high profile study", it seems it was as well executed as the Bush Administration's investigation into the supposed 9/11 muslim attacks.p

Awww, not nice to take cheap shots hehe. But Canucks fans wouldn't know anything about cheap shots now would they? wink.gif

For those who prefer a premium '94 with great taste that's less filling...Genesis version is supreme laugh.gif

ps: It was meant to be in good fun, man. Don't get all mad.

Great Post Jesus. Always well thought out and entertaining.

They are two very different games and always will be.

Why don't we just leave it at that?

Just look at these plays again if you have to: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w3YVF4KxBXQ&search=nhl%2094 (shameless plug). Prove me wrong! Genesis guys start recording your goals. I want results. NHL 94 highlight menagerie extravaganza and NHL94 highlights 2003 Olliz remix (NHL 94), I'm sorry, it just didn't do it for me. Not to be mean, or to show off for that matter. It is simply not NHL94 to me. OK for what they are, but no 94.

This is kind of off topic but I am dying to know...

Ok, I saw the plays. Pretty, yes. Effective against a human opponent? I'd like to see. Have you played online yet?

The video is against the computer. No disrespect but we all know how intelligent the computer is on both systems.

clockwise: You haven't played nhl94 for snes at all have you? ^^

If you say that there aren't even highlights from other games... There are. Only in the play off though. heh

clockwise: You haven't played nhl94 for snes at all have you? ^^
If you say that there aren't even highlights from other games... There are. Only in the play off though. heh

Unfortunately, yes, I have. I kid, I kid.

No, seriously, I've probably played 20-30 games on the Snes. Most of the time I would play action/platform games on Snes and sports games on Genesis.

That makes sence. I don't ever remember playing playoffs on the Snes version.

Bo let's see some highlights.

What does Bo know?

He know's he's playing the wrong system. :lol: Ha ha ha.

Fine Bo.

It's a matter of opinon.

3 buttons. Ha ha ha :D

THE SUPER NINTENDO CONTROLLER.

THE MOST COMFORTABLE CONTROL EVER CREATED!!!!!!!!!!

AND IF ONLY THEY ADDED FAKE PASS, DROP PASS, FAKE SHOT AND BLOCK SHOT.

EA:

WAKE UP!!!!

i think you just like saying bo :lol: anyways i've never played the SNES version in my life to be honest so i wouldn't really know. do the extra buttons do anything special that the genisis version lacks?

When you go to change lines you press a button to change lines and a different button to flip the puck out of the zone, but it never bothers us since we never play with line changes on. It's a pain in the ass otherwise though, icing the puck everytime Fogarty is at a 0 energy (after a 7 second shift) and you need to get Ulf back in there to kneecap somebody. If only we would've kept Paul "Hot" Coffey...

NHL94 (SNES) Controls.

(Y) button flips the pass / clear the puck and holds and hooks the player..

(X) button picks the goalie.

And when your the goalie you can:

Push: (A) button to kick save.

Push: (X) button to poke check.

Push (Y) button to dive out at the guy.

Or (Y) button to flip pass or clear the puck or B button to pass the puck if you have the puck with the goalie.

L and R button picks the last defenceman back.

I agree good point Case.

Case wants the L and R button to be who ever is on the screen at the time.

So it could be left and right winger control also with defence control.

You Genesis fans talking about graphics and sound.

Stop it!!!You sound stupid.

Whatever.

Listen to a CD like:

Van Halen or old Metallica or Slayer or Led Zeppelin Kick ass.

post-269-1148575904_thumb.jpg

post-269-1148576501_thumb.jpg

When you go to change lines you press a button to change lines and a different button to flip the puck out of the zone, but it never bothers us since we never play with line changes on. It's a pain in the ass otherwise though, icing the puck everytime Fogarty is at a 0 energy (after a 7 second shift) and you need to get Ulf back in there to kneecap somebody. If only we would've kept Paul "Hot" Coffey...

brian fogarty is an NHL94 god if you play without line changes though :lol:

The SNES version just feels.. wrong.

* The frame rate is pretty low, so the animations look off and delayed.

* When you hit a guy, he doesn't get knocked down - he just falls over. It doesn't feel solid like a hit on the Sega. Someone said something about how on the SNES you can hit a guy and then fly back to centre ice. Well, in the Sega version, you can hit a guy, and HE flies back to centre ice. And much laughter is had by all as he supermans across the ice and hits another player, upon which event someone quips, "you know.. if yer stupid guy hadn't been in the way, he would have made it to the far boards." You fly back pretty far on the Sega once in a while, too, anyway.

* No buzzer when the period ends. I keep wondering who got the damn penalty while I was on a breakaway.

* Really obnoxious music. Seriously. Can't stand it. Sega music, much better.

* The sound is just weak. Bad graphics in many games can be excused, but sound really adds to the immersion factor, and the SNES version just sounds bad. When you hit the post, it makes a dull THUD rather than the exciting Sega CLINK! The puck sounds like it's made of plastic when you receive a pass or when it's flipped into the air and lands on the ice. (Aside: I wonder if they engineer the nets in the NHL to make the most exciting sound possible when hit by the puck?)

* When you crush a guy to put him out for the period or game, in the Sega version, you can really hear the crowd going "OOoooohh.. MAN that had to hurt!" While, on the SNES, it's more like, "Yeah, could I get some ketchup on my hotdog? Oh look, that poor chap fell over. Crumpets."

--

On the SNES, I do however like how the players look really mangled after being hit into the boards. Still.. the hitting just doesn't have the same pop as on the Sega.

SNES has better passing, too -- it does get annoying on the Sega when your guys fumble 7 passes in a row (I had a game recently where my passing was 2/21(9%) over the first 2 periods with Detroit).

Overall, the SNES version gives me a 'plastic' feel, while the Sega version has a much smoother feel.

What are you talking about Smozoma :lol:

Check out the Super Nes hit in the multimedia video section Posted Aug. 14 2004.

Who sent in that play Evan?

Not that I don't have hardcore hit plays like that.

(It sounds hardcore).

Well you can hear it.

But the video isn't showing up. Evan what's up?

Smozoma Comment:

SNES has better passing, too -- it does get annoying on the Sega when your guys fumble 7 passes in a row (I had a game recently where my passing was 2/21(9%) over the first 2 periods with Detroit).

Case closed Case. :lol:

Super Nintendo Wins!!!

bindi.bmp

Who sent in that play Evan?

But the video isn't showing up. Evan what's up?

Jeff,

The videos seem to be playing ok, but you may need the DivX codec (http://www.divx.com) to view them. And yes, I posted that Snes hit. I've played the Snes game a few times.

-Evan

i heard a rumor that my favorate kid in the stands isn't in the SNES version. true or false?

Don't think so, but he should know better by now than to disrupt someones view.

1 point for Genesis biggrin.gif .

• 4 months later...

Don't think so, but he should know better by now than to disrupt someones view.

1 point for Genesis biggrin.gif .

I'm no expert on SNES play, but from the videos I've seen on YouTube passing actually seems to be a useful part of the offense in SNES. It's way trickier in Genesis... Passes getting intercepted is one thing, passes routinely ticking off the back of a skate and creating breakaways for 3-on-5 shorthanded opponents is borderline infuriating. Grr.

• 2 weeks later...
how is the passing frustrating on the genesis version? if anything it better replicates an actual hockey experience in that every pass cant be taken perfectly on the tape, especially by players of lesser skill.

I hear you, but it's weird when you have a 5-on-3 and it doesn't make sense to play the power play the way a real NHL team would, because at least 1/4 of your passes are going to tick off of a skate. I know there are a few threads about how some people feel like being on a power play is actually a disadvantage, and I think at least part of it is because passing can be an adventure. Assuming you're not

I finally played the SNES console version today and the biggest difference in gameplay I saw was between the goalies. The goalies act in different ways in each version.

In the SNES version, I couldn't do the move across the front of the net as easily because the goalies don't really fall down, but I could still score doing it.

I also noticed that it's way easier to deke in the SNES version. In the Genesis version, it is soo hard (at least for me) to deke the goalie out and score. My friend did it at ease with the SNES version. If he got on a breakaway, he scored (unless I switched to manual goalie).

That brings me to the next thing, which is manual goalie. I found it to be clunky in the SNES version, I couldn't control my goalie nearly as well.

Lastly I just found the SNES version to be a little choppier. Overall I obviously like the Genesis version better, but I see how people can like the SNES version because of the ability to deke.

EDIT: I also want to add that I did not see any differences between goalies with high or low stats. All goalies seemed to be equally easy to score on.